Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though spaceship steering wheels are a tad bit newer.
meh, just a combination of older technologies... :)

We also don't know if right at the moment of the last unveil, Model S/X will gain any other feature the Model 3 might have and therefore have it for a month or two before Model 3 general customers start getting their deliveries. This would keep in line with Model S/X getting it first. This happened previously with the X launch and the new Model S fascia.

I do find it really hard to believe that the steering wheel won't have some controls. Even in a fully self driving car I want to control the stereo volume without having to reach over to the touch screen. Both the Model S and Model X have controls on the steering wheel, so that definitely isn't new tech even if the controls are somewhat different (otherwise couldn't you as easily say "hey, a landscape control screen is new technology!").

We also don't know if right at the moment of the last unveil, Model S/X will gain any other feature the Model 3 might have and therefore have it for a month or two before Model 3 general customers start getting their deliveries. This would keep in line with Model S/X getting it first. This happened previously with the X launch and the new Model S fascia.
If they want them out in the wild for a couple of months before any model 3 deliveries they'll need to make the announcement in the next month or so. If they do it like the AP hardware announcement they'll say "everything being produced from today on", even if they did it today, you're still not looking at them being in customers hands for a week or two.

I do find it really hard to believe that the steering wheel won't have some controls. Even in a fully self driving car I want to control the stereo volume without having to reach over to the touch screen. Both the Model S and Model X have controls on the steering wheel, so that definitely isn't new tech even if the controls are somewhat different (otherwise couldn't you as easily say "hey, a landscape control screen is new technology!").

I don't mind having only the center screen, but if Tesla doesn't put steering wheel controls on the Model 3 that would be a huge misstep. No buttons and only having a touchscreen sounds cool, but it's usually pretty annoying, as I discovered when I bought a smart remote with a customizable LCD screen instead of buttons a few years back. I got incredibly frustrated at having to look at the remote all the time to hit the quick replay button or to fast forward and then stop when skipping commercials since there was no tactile feel to know my fat fingers were on the proper area of the screen. Steering wheel controls like those in the Model S and X address a lot of those issues while driving, and the touch screen is fine when stopped.

Reactions: Matias
I don't mind having only the center screen, but if Tesla doesn't put steering wheel controls on the Model 3 that would be a huge misstep. No buttons and only having a touchscreen sounds cool, but it's usually pretty annoying, as I discovered when I bought a smart remote with a customizable LCD screen instead of buttons a few years back. I got incredibly frustrated at having to look at the remote all the time to hit the quick replay button or to fast forward and then stop when skipping commercials since there was no tactile feel to know my fat fingers were on the proper area of the screen. Steering wheel controls like those in the Model S and X address a lot of those issues while driving, and the touch screen is fine when stopped.
They might be on the rear of the wheel like many other auto manufacturers, or Elon might be counting on level 5 autonomy so you can use the screen and not worry about the road.,,

Who hasn't done that stanford machine learning course with Andrew Ng... that doesn't qualify you to work on machine learning though.

Here's what Kovac's Linkedin says:

Nothing to do with HUDs

That pretty much says it all... the chance of a HUD for Model 3 is no more.

If he were working on a HUD, why would he post that online months and months prior to Tesla announcing it?

(I'm sure there are going to be people that think my comment suggests i believe a HUD is still happening. To those people, i feel sorry for you.)

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
Does this possibly count as spaceship-like "steering controls and system"?
tesla-model-3-ui-decoding.png

Screenshot_20170413-221349.jpg

I read this conversation carefully, and I actually don't think that Musk's tweet was solely about the 'full self driving system'.
The person from the first tweet is ONLY talking about the 'look' of the steering wheel design, and Musk is not too stupid to answer about a self driving 'system' only, which is irrelevant to his question. He's telling the guy to 'see' the real steering control, which makes him feeling like he's in a spaceship. So my theory is that either Musk scrapped the new wheel design due to the cost issue, or he's hiding it until the final reveal. Only time will tell I guess.

Reactions: ikjadoon
It is possibe Tesla scrapped or delayed (or otherwise is yet to unveil) some Model 3 related steering control features.

Yet, I think it is also possible we have already seen the steering control hardware... What if those rollers, D-pads, trackpads, touchpads or whatever they are, are replacing the multitude of buttons on a Model S/X - and include some necessary software innovation on the big screen to work?

Obviously Tesla has sourced/designed new parts for this area for Model 3, to lessen costs, as opposed to using the Mercedes Benz parts seen in Model S/X.

model_3_steering_wheel.jpg

Attachments

• model_2_steering_wheel.jpg
    model_2_steering_wheel.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 24
So my theory is that either Musk scrapped the new wheel design due to the cost issue, or he's hiding it until the final reveal. Only time will tell I guess.
Hiding until the final reveal is more likely. He said previously they may make modifications to the car as late as July which was partially his reasoning for the July final reveal. It kills two birds with one stone... It delays the reveal until after Q2 and it gives a small window for employee feedback for quick modifications.

Hiding until the final reveal is more likely. He said previously they may make modifications to the car as late as July which was partially his reasoning for the July final reveal. It kills two birds with one stone... It delays the reveal until after Q2 and it gives a small window for employee feedback for quick modifications.
I think others have suggested this too, but it's possible they may test any sort of new "wheel design" on an S/X outside of HQ, knowing nobody is going to chase it around trying to get interior pics like the 3. Seems like they'd probably pretty "plug and play", but others may know more about that potential. I'm sure they'd have to tune it to the model 3 turning radius and handling at different speeds at some point too.

I think others have suggested this too, but it's possible they may test any sort of new "wheel design" on an S/X outside of HQ, knowing nobody is going to chase it around trying to get interior pics like the 3. Seems like they'd probably pretty "plug and play", but others may know more about that potential. I'm sure they'd have to tune it to the model 3 turning radius and handling at different speeds at some point too.
That seems a little hard to do with the 'one screen/two screen' difference, but I guess all the elements that you are controlling are *somewhere* still, lol...

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
It is possibe Tesla scrapped or delayed (or otherwise is yet to unveil) some Model 3 related steering control features.

Yet, I think it is also possible we have already seen the steering control hardware... What if those rollers, D-pads, trackpads, touchpads or whatever they are, are replacing the multitude of buttons on a Model S/X - and include some necessary software innovation on the big screen to work?

Obviously Tesla has sourced/designed new parts for this area for Model 3, to lessen costs, as opposed to using the Mercedes Benz parts seen in Model S/X.

View attachment 222744
I buy this. If so, it all comes down to what those little controllers do. That combined with software and screen could be the spaceship thing. Caution: everyone who has tried a multi-function navigation knob has done poorly. OTOH, none of them had a full sized screen to work with. Watch and wait.