Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's infamous tweet: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

It just occurred to me that perhaps many of us may have been incorrectly interpreting the phrase "steering controls" to mean "steering wheel" (I include myself in that group).
But in fact the full phrase is "steering controls and system".
What if Elon is saying that at launch, the Model 3 with the EAP and FSDC options enabled will be capable of full autonomous driving. The car will drive itself (not necessarily on any public road anywhere in any weather condition, but on many public roads and at least in most weather conditions).
Just like a future spaceship could do all the calculations to launch itself into orbit or to another planet, in the sense that humans don't steer a spaceship with manual controls, computers calculate course and control the rocket engines.
Now, that doesn't mean that a Model 3 owner will be able to legally let the car drive itself -- with no physical input from the driver -- to a destination given by the owner. That depends on local laws and regulations. But if Elon intends to demonstrate fully autonomous driving at Model 3 launch then that could explain his tweet.
Note: if this happens I am certain that simultaneously Tesla would announce the same capability in all Model S and X that have the EAP/FSDC hardware.

This has been my thought from the beginning. Nicely stated.

Reactions: cdub
I'm gonna be so disappointed (and probably a little upset) if we end up with a car full of compromises because the product launch was pushed up a year for no good reason.
No good reason? How about several hundred thousand people lined up wanting to give Tesla money for it? It can always be improved after the launch, just as the Model S has been (said the early adopter without parking sensors or auto folding mirrors, but I have no regrets).

None of this matters, if the 3 is not profitable, Tesla ceases to exist. Period.

If Tesla can deliver FSD + electric with decent range, car ownership ends as a necessity for most people. It will be cost prohibitive to own a car vs autonomous electric ride sharing. I'm not talking 20 years, I'm talking 5-10. The model 3 I purchase will be the last car I ever purchase.

When you go from gas to autonomous cars that run on sun, the cost for a ride is miniscule compared to owning and paying insurance and manage and parking fees and so on and so on. Need a van, summon a van. Need a truck, snap your fingers. Need a semi.. No problem.

So it really doesn't matter if Elon lied or changed his mind or reality changed his vision. If the 3 is not profitable, it's over. End of story.

Agree with statement that 3 is a make or break for company.....investors seem to think they will succeed as recognized by the stock price.

Don't agree with a full marketplace shift in 5-10 years.....Americans are at their heart independent people and although many young people support that statement, eventually their wages increase and they btw they age.....

I still think most folks will want their own car, particularly with reasonable price points.....

Over a year ago, Elon tweeted this:

"Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.
4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

For the last year, I, and probably everyone else here have been patiently, or not, waiting to see the "spaceship" steering controls and system we had been promised. Two days ago, Jalopnik, and a few other websites showed pictures of what is represented to be the final production Model 3. http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-full-tesla-model-3-way-before-youre-suppose-1794073497.

However, what Jalopnik, et al. showed was the same interior presented to the public over a year ago at the original introduction of the Model 3. What is going on? Did Elon con us with our one year wait for our vaporware "spaceship"? If the interior we saw at last year's introduction was it, why all the mystery and subterfuge? Was it just to boost orders to impress the stock and bond markets? This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed now.

No. Spaceship tweet was made before Full Self Driving reveal.

A car driving itself is the "real steering controls" and it will certainly feel like a spaceship sitting in there with glass all around you and a big touch screen.

He never promised a HUD. Everyone's imagination on the forums went haywire and made the expectations more than reality.

Personally I don't want a HUD... Too distracting.

Maybe the steering wheel will go away and we get side-stick steering:

1920px-Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg

Picture by Naddsy - A380 Cockpit, CC BY 2.0, File:Airbus A380 cockpit.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Here a Mercedes prototype from the late 90es with side-stick steering:

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
No. Spaceship tweet was made before Full Self Driving reveal.

A car driving itself is the "real steering controls" and it will certainly feel like a spaceship sitting in there with glass all around you and a big touch screen.

He never promised a HUD. Everyone's imagination on the forums went haywire and made the expectations more than reality.

Personally I don't want a HUD... Too distracting.
Well, if you recall, Tesla did hire principal engineer from now defunct company Skully, which was designing augmented reality/HUD system for motorcycle helmets. It wasn't just random imagination and seemed quite plausible with this hire.

Tesla hires an augmented reality/HUD expert for its Autopilot program

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My gut feeling is that we have not seen the true interior of the car yet, even in these recently photographed release candidates. I think there are some big (if not earth shattering) changes coming, and that is what the final reveal is for.

I have no true evidence for this, other than

A) Tesla doesn't do "cheap looking" and a 15" tablet stuck to the dash is cheap looking.
B) The latest release candidate photos show a giant red button under the tablet. There is no way that's part of the final release.
C) There are no steering wheel controls. I cannot fathom releasing a car today without SOME controls attached to the steering wheel
D) Tesla has clearly been downplaying the Model 3 when it comes to the Model S, I feel that this was done soley in hopes to push some sales that way before the S60 goes away. I think once the S60 is gone, the Model 3 hype will return, leading to the next reveal.
E) I have never fully bought into the no need for a HUD because the car will be self-driving reason, since the $35k version will not be self-driving
F) Even using the upper left of the 15" screen for current speed and other information will be distracting as there will be other stuff on that screen as well at all times.
G) There is no need for another big reveal event unless there is something to actually reveal.

Again, I could be wrong. It's known to happen. But I'm not really on the Debby Downer side of things at the moment.

My gut feeling is that we have not seen the true interior of the car yet, even in these recently photographed release candidates. I think there are some big (if not earth shattering) changes coming, and that is what the final reveal is for.

I have no true evidence for this, other than

A) Tesla doesn't do "cheap looking" and a 15" tablet stuck to the dash is cheap looking.
B) The latest release candidate photos show a giant red button under the tablet. There is no way that's part of the final release.
C) There are no steering wheel controls. I cannot fathom releasing a car today without SOME controls attached to the steering wheel
D) Tesla has clearly been downplaying the Model 3 when it comes to the Model S, I feel that this was done soley in hopes to push some sales that way before the S60 goes away. I think once the S60 is gone, the Model 3 hype will return, leading to the next reveal.
E) I have never fully bought into the no need for a HUD because the car will be self-driving reason, since the $35k version will not be self-driving
F) Even using the upper left of the 15" screen for current speed and other information will be distracting as there will be other stuff on that screen as well at all times.
G) There is no need for another big reveal event unless there is something to actually reveal.

Again, I could be wrong. It's known to happen. But I'm not really on the Debby Downer side of things at the moment.

Your theory seems terribly unlikely given everything we know about Tesla:

- Model X "mules" were driven with production interiors, nothing was changed, other than perhaps some missing panel put in place
- Model 3 interior was called near final already in the unveil 2016, "we have to do with this, we don't have time" kind of sentiment
- Model 3 "mules" (aka release candidates in this case) show what looks like a production-quality interior
- Elon said no new consumer-facing technology and we aren't seeing any either...
- Talk of a June/July event was quite lowkey, it certainly seems like the waited second or third unveil has kind of fizzled out, again suggesting perhaps not that much big new things are coming
- Model 3 prototype has been seen with steering wheel controls in 2016, so the release candidates may have one too
- All/most prototype cars have giant red turn off panic buttons, that's just for their road certification or the like

You are of course right that Tesla is pushing the Model S this quarter. More Model 3 hype next quarter is quite plausible. As for the single screen being distracting, Elon's tweets and Tesla's blog are pretty clear that Model 3 will only have one screen. It will be a compromise and, yes, some will likely find it a distracting setup.

Unless Tesla differs vastly from their past history with Model 3... what we are seeing now is what we are getting upon launch (any missing panels/logos etc. fixed of course, hopefully)...

Reactions: zenmaster and cdub
Well, if you recall, Tesla did hire principal engineer from now defunct company Skully, which was designing augmented reality/HUD system for motorcycle helmets. It wasn't just random imagination and seemed quite plausible with this hire.

Tesla hires an augmented reality/HUD expert for its Autopilot program

From that article:

"Kovac’s involvement with the Autopilot program might have more to do with machine learning than real-time heads-up display technology."

Basically it was still just wild speculation. I stick with my believe that they have never planned to have a HUD and never will have a HUD. It would just be a distraction from FSD.

Reactions: cdub
From that article:

"Kovac’s involvement with the Autopilot program might have more to do with machine learning than real-time heads-up display technology."

Basically it was still just wild speculation. I stick with my believe that they have never planned to have a HUD and never will have a HUD. It would just be a distraction from FSD.
If you actually watch the video from that failed motorcycle helmet, the HUD was pretty terrible anyways. It never even made it to production. The HUD we imagine /dream of is an AR HUD that is iron man-adjace and isn't happening anytime soon since it would require eye tracking to put boxes around things in the appropriate position. Also, not super helpful when it drives itself. I'd rather they get a Plex app for the 15" screen so I can stream my "legally obtained" movies and tv shows over their free 4G.

Reactions: William3
"Cosmin Davidoaia @HBL_Cosmin
@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

"4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016Roman Pushkov @iKrivetko
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@iKrivetko that's not the real steering system
4:54 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

You can try to spin that anyway you want; but, if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon misrepresented.

Reactions: alseTrick
It's pretty clear that Elon was talking about FSD. He's said over and over now, although I think he's straight up wrong, that the center display doesn't matter cause FSD.

It demonstrates severe hubris to how soon it'll be FSD and we enter a taxi relationship with our cars

Reactions: alseTrick and cdub