Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From that article:

"Kovac’s involvement with the Autopilot program might have more to do with machine learning than real-time heads-up display technology."

Basically it was still just wild speculation. I stick with my believe that they have never planned to have a HUD and never will have a HUD. It would just be a distraction from FSD.

Who hasn't done that stanford machine learning course with Andrew Ng... that doesn't qualify you to work on machine learning though.

Here's what Kovac's Linkedin says:

- Responsible for the embedded software framework running in Tesla's Autopilot, as well as for the overall platform stability, and its integration into the vehicle;
- Pushed Tesla's new Autopilot hardware platform to mass production, in all Model S's and X's produced from October 2017;
- Shipped incremental SW updates over the air to the entire fleet on a biweekly basis;
- Active personal contributor on the embedded C++ Autopilot stack, designing components and writing code in a embedded linux environment, for sub-systems such as real-time tasks scheduling, shared-memory IPC, process monitoring, boot sequence, fault logging & reporting through telemetry, multi-camera acquisition pipeline, computing graph framework for the computer vision stack, cross-chip fail-safe strategies, etc.;
- Leading a team of about 10 software engineers;

Nothing to do with HUDs

That pretty much says it all... the chance of a HUD for Model 3 is no more.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00
Just so we're on the same page ... you're basing your entire post and dissatisfaction on two blurry pictures of part of the interior of what may or may not be the final, production vehicle?

I don't think I stated my dissatisfaction, or any other opinion. I just made a statement of fact. I very much was hoping that someone could take issue with the photos Jalopnik posted. I would hope that someone could show me how the photos do not show the same interior as the original 2016 introduction. Even better would be if someone could show that Jalopnik was wrong when it said "This is a prototype just spotted running around, and if Elon’s right, that means it’s damn near production-spec."

I don't think I stated my dissatisfaction, or any other opinion. I just made a statement of fact. I very much was hoping that someone could take issue with the photos Jalopnik posted. I would hope that someone could show me how the photos do not show the same interior as the original 2016 introduction. Even better would be if someone could show that Jalopnik was wrong when it said "This is a prototype just spotted running around, and if Elon’s right, that means it’s damn near production-spec."

You made a statement of opinion, not fact. Others have posted how Elon's tweets could be perfectly consistent with the interior as it stands right now.

"This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed now."

Hmmmm, I guess different people have various thoughts about what is a serious issue. This is not serious to me. If it comes without wheels, then that is serious to me. If it comes without a "makeup mirror" in the sun visor, well that is a serious issue to the wife.:eek:

"if the Jalopnik photos are the final interior design, Elon misrepresented" is a statement of fact; it is not subject to reasonable debate.

"Cosmin Davidoaia @HBL_Cosmin
@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

"4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016Roman Pushkov @iKrivetko
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@iKrivetko that's not the real steering system
4:54 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

Reactions: alseTrick
"Cosmin Davidoaia @HBL_Cosmin
@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

"4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016Roman Pushkov @iKrivetko
@elonmusk why did you choose that hideous steering wheel design?:|
Follow
Elon Musk
✔@elonmusk

@iKrivetko that's not the real steering system
4:54 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

Sigh... Again.... These tweets were made before the full self driving reveal.

Steering system=full self driving

There will be a more modern steering wheel then the one at the reveal but if you had watched the reveal test drives then you'd know that the interior was the final interior.

Lies&Exaggerations.jpg

Actually, Elon's spaceship comment can stil (partially) refer to a new multi-function button design and some related software innovation on the big screen. The late 2016 stadium event prototype photographs, after all, showed something akin to D-pads or trackpads on the steering wheel.

The full Twitter discourse, while widely assumed to refer to a HUD or other solution to the lack of an instrument cluster, certainly can refer to the steering wheel.

The fact that autonomous is a part of that, does not necessarily mean the steering wheel can't feature some innovation. After all, without the instrument cluster, having had to think of something else for the buttons as well is possible.

Also, Tesla may not wish to continue with the same steering wheel for their third generation car (is it also Mercedes Benz sourced?)...

Reactions: ikjadoon
I decided to watch a few of the test drive videos for the 3. In every single one it is stated that there is one display and the interior is almost final. I think too much time passed and hiring and acquisitions gave the internet too much fuel for speculation. The display talk starts at the 0:40 second mark.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
The late 2016 stadium event prototype photographs, after all, showed something akin to D-pads or trackpads on the steering wheel.
Here's the pic
2YnsNI.jpg

Also note the lines across the top of the wheel and keep in mind the wheel in the original sketch:

tesla-model-3-sketch.jpg

After all, with such a low dash, the steering wheel might block visibility or give you less of a sense of openness ;)

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
If you think about it... everything we know and can readily identify in Model 3 so called release candidates are aspects directly or indirectly, features already "revealed" to us by EM himself. We have been busy examining the prototypes in great detail and no harm with that at all, I enjoy it myself, but think about it - what have we really found out that we don't already know about?

But then remember we were also told that the interior was not finalized in alpha prototypes. Yet we see the so called production candidates being driven around without tinted glasses to conceal the interior as if they have nothing to hide at all. Do you honestly believe that *nothing* will have changed in the Model 3 interior between alpha prototypes one year ago to actual production cars - so the interior design department have been doing absolutely nothing for one year?

Calm down folks they will show us the actual interior in time - might not be as drastic as what some of us hoped but they will properly reveal it to us or it will be available for us to see when configurator opens - at least my humble opinion.