Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon say that all new cars being made have HW3 now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty rare for Tesla to have a hard line date that they make public about part evolution. They draw lines in the sand in other ways on dates but not on the physical parts, because of the nature of how their internal supply chain works.

Great, thanks all! My SR is on order. I will reach out to my OA and ask him to make sure that I get a car made after this date :)

Why? If you don't buy FSD you won't get any benefit....ever. If you buy FSD you get the computer upgrade whether it's installed in production or after production.

I'm just saying, don't let that limit you.

Why? If you don't buy FSD you won't get any benefit....ever. If you buy FSD you get the computer upgrade whether it's installed in production or after production.

Exactly ..... there is zero reason to not accept a car with HW2.5. I bought with FSD, got delivered last week almost certainly with HW2.5, and am totally unconcerned about it. When I need it, they’ll install it. Point blank.

Exactly ..... there is zero reason to not accept a car with HW2.5. I bought with FSD, got delivered last week almost certainly with HW2.5, and am totally unconcerned about it. When I need it, they’ll install it. Point blank.

You've both been members here long enough or have a varied enough post history to have seen what it's like trying to get Tesla to actually deliver on their promises. Look at the current fecal fiesta of people dealing with Tesla's mismanagement of a program to try and get them the badges and/or spoilers for their car. That's just cosmetic stuff.

Who do you think is gonna benefit from any FSD software features first: the guy whose car already has the new computer, or the guy who's waiting for Tesla to actually do the upgrade? If I were a person who hadn't yet taken delivery, knew the FSD Computer-equipped Models 3 were coming out of the factory, and actually believes that FSD features are coming any time soon? There's no way I'd take a 2.5 car.

You've both been members here long enough or have a varied enough post history to have seen what it's like trying to get Tesla to actually deliver on their promises. Look at the current fecal fiesta of people dealing with Tesla's mismanagement of a program to try and get them the badges and/or spoilers for their car. That's just cosmetic stuff.

Who do you think is gonna benefit from any FSD software features first: the guy whose car already has the new computer, or the guy who's waiting for Tesla to actually do the upgrade? If I were a person who hadn't yet taken delivery, knew the FSD Computer-equipped Models 3 were coming out of the factory, and actually believes that FSD features are coming any time soon? There's no way I'd take a 2.5 car.

Eh. I’m not worried. My experience has been top notch; to be fair, I’m sure others have issues. Mine have been nothing but exceptional. I’m lucky to have a very professional service center nearby that’s super responsive... they’ve given me zero — and I mean zero — reason to second guess them.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
On one hand...I am happy I got my car the full tax credit.....On the other hand, I am pissed because I could have got the car with all these new goodies, for the exact same price as I paid....But, if I got it today, I wouldn't get the full tax credit.......se la vi (such is life).

I did not get to watch the demo, so pardon me if I’m asking something that was addressed in the demonstration...but how do you know that HW3 will never at any point in the future provide any benefits to someone outside of FSD functionality? Is there a source at Tesla stating this?

Reactions: Runt8
I did not get to watch the demo, so pardon me if I’m asking something that was addressed in the demonstration...but how do you know that HW3 will never at any point in the future provide any benefits to someone outside of FSD functionality? Is there a source at Tesla stating this?
HW3 driven automatic windshield wipers! :)

Seriously though, FSD is probably going to end up filling up the NN processing capacity, so they can't really afford to put much else in there.

In this case, I have a feeling, and am hoping, that Tesla will deploy and upgrade to the oldest FSDs first. That'll be Tesla's response to the promised "early access" for those cars. If they hit the new ones first, I really expect a huge uproar.

Well it is just cosmetic stuff, after all. And kinda fugly to boot. ;)

Oh for sure. If they tried to put that ugly-ass badge on my car i'd slap their hand like they were reaching for my last Oreo.

But still, Tesla has yet to show a single example of a time they've demonstrated organizational sanity in any sort of significant customer-facing program.

Roadster 1 preorder and rollout? Nope.
Model S preorder and rollout? Nope.
Model X preorder and rollout? Nope.
Online store inventory and delivery management? Nope.
Referral program reward management? Nope.
Powerwall preorder and rollout? Nope.
Solar roof preorder and rollout? Nope.
Model 3 preorder and rollout? Nope.
Model 3 badge and spoiler rollout? Nope.

FSD preorder and rollout? Not… counting… on it.

• Funny
Reactions: caltechkid
HW3 driven automatic windshield wipers! :)

Seriously though, FSD is probably going to end up filling up the NN processing capacity, so they can't really afford to put much else in there.
As far as the wipers I'm on 2019.8.5 and this weekend they acted VERY differently than the last year. They came on with barely a few sprinkles and they kept really clear windows all the way through a heavy rain. It freaked me out!

In this case, I have a feeling, and am hoping, that Tesla will deploy and upgrade to the oldest FSDs first. That'll be Tesla's response to the promised "early access" for those cars. If they hit the new ones first, I really expect a huge uproar.

Time will tell. I am prepared for and expecting mismanagement and screwing of the proverbial pooch. I am hoping for better, of course, but by expecting the worst, if I am wrong it won't be a disappointment.

Reactions: KJD