Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I Make a Mistake Skipping EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I skipped EAP also.

I suspect that Tesla have increased the price of EAP for those buying *after* car purchase but not before because the EAP uptake isn't what it needs to be to recoup their investment in the technology.

There will come a time when they have a large fleet of non-EAP cars they will want to earn revenue from and EAP maybe offered at a discount on "Tesla Day" or whatever they call their promotions. For now they need to increase the uptake at purchase and I don't think we'll see after purchase discounts for another year or two, probably the reverse.

I arrive at work feeling refreshed compared to my old car (LEAF). The comfort of the Model 3 premium seats is astonishingly good. My low back problems are receding. Thank you Tesla for making superior seats.

Reactions: geometro
I skipped EAP also.

I suspect that Tesla have increased the price of EAP for those buying *after* car purchase but not before because the EAP uptake isn't what it needs to be to recoup their investment in the technology.

There will come a time when they have a large fleet of non-EAP cars they will want to earn revenue from and EAP maybe offered at a discount on "Tesla Day" or whatever they call their promotions. For now they need to increase the uptake at purchase and I don't think we'll see after purchase discounts for another year or two, probably the reverse.

I arrive at work feeling refreshed compared to my old car (LEAF). The comfort of the Model 3 premium seats is astonishingly good. My low back problems are receding. Thank you Tesla for making superior seats.

Agreed. I expect Tesla will offer EAP, and/or possibly just TACC, at a discount to existing owners in the near future when they need some quick cash. I’d pay $2000 for just TACC, or $3000 for the whole EAP. They’ve already shown with the performance+ package fiasco that they don’t really care about devaluing an option that previous purchasers already paid for.

Last edited:
If cash flow is tight well choices have to be made and it is what it is. It's a great car to drive without it and there is the option to add it later even if the car is sold which is nice. I drive mostly local and don't use it, never used regular cruise control on vehicles with the exception of on a long highway trip. However my husband does use TACC all the time on his MS so it was a given we'd get EAP on our Model 3. He just wouldn't want to be without it on the highway. I did use TACC when sharing our highway driving on a trip and did see the advantage to having it. Neither one of us uses the other features of EAP but still feel it's worth having if you can swing it. He tried Autosteer a while back and at that point he wasn't comfortable enough with it. As it matures more, along with other features, that could change and we'd get more use from the package. But yes, we still feel it's worth getting for just that one feature.

While TACC is definitely the most popular feature in the package I don't feel it needs to be standard. I can understand people wanting to get something for free though. Really hate to see them increase the price of the car to include it since those on more limited budgets can still get by without it and have a great car to drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dana1
If cash flow is tight well choices have to be made and it is what it is. It's a great car to drive without it and there is the option to add it later even if the car is sold which is nice. I drive mostly local and don't use it, never used regular cruise control on vehicles unless on a highway trip either. However my husband does use TACC all the time on his MS so it was a given we'd get it on our Model 3. He just wouldn't want to be without it on the highway. I did use TACC when sharing our highway driving on a trip and did see the advantage to having it. Neither one of us uses the other features of EAP but still feel it's worth having if you can swing it.
I can feel for your husband. My P3D does not have it since it’s driven 1 mile on weekday picking up kid from school. On weekends (trips that involve freeways) as much as I want to take it out the lack of EAP kills that thought instantly.

I can feel for your husband. My P3D does not have it since it’s driven 1 mile on weekday picking up kid from school. On weekends (trips that involve freeways) as much as I want to take it out the lack of EAP kills that thought instantly.

Along those similar lines I could say it would be nice to have the P version for that extra instant acceleration at start, not that I need it but it would make the car feel closer to our uncorked MS75D. I can sense the difference between both of our cars and makes me like the MS better in that regard. Now is the P pricing worth it to me just for that, probably not but after the price came down I did think about it although there's more to the P than just the acceleration aspect.

Tesla does change up things as I've seen just since owning our MS last year. Things that were options or part of packages were later included as standard, like our MS PUP power liftgate, and a few other things. Easier to do for software related features.

Last edited:
Agreed. I expect Tesla will offer EAP, and/or possibly just TACC, at a discount to existing owners in the near future when they need some quick cash. I’d pay $2000 for just TACC, or $3000 for the whole EAP. They’ve already shown with the performance+ package fiasco that they don’t really care about devaluing an option that previous purchasers already paid for.

Great point. Unbundling the feature set wold be a very smart move. Like you TACC is something I'd pay for without the other Autopilot features.

This is your second chance to get it for $5,500.

Enhanced Autopilot Trial

They are providing 30 days EAP trial and the price will be $5,500 during the trial. One week after trial ends, it will go back to $7,000. GL.
Interesting. I took delivery on Oct 25th, I wonder when the trial will become available. I couldn't certainly see myself caving after a month if I end up using it more than I think.

Interesting. I took delivery on Oct 25th, I wonder when the trial will become available. I couldn't certainly see myself caving after a month if I end up using it more than I think.
When will the Enhanced Autopilot trial start?
Owners who have not already purchased Enhanced Autopilot or experienced an Enhanced Autopilot trial, will qualify for the 30-day trial. There are many factors that affect exactly when your Autopilot trial will begin, including delivery date, car type, location and current software version. For many owners, the Enhanced Autopilot trial will be available soon after delivery.