Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I Make a Mistake Skipping EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always easy to say TACC is available on x and x other cars, so Model 3 should have it as standard. Well all Teslas have over the air updates as standard, other cars should too. You see how that doesn't really work heh.

EAP as a package defines how advanced the Model 3 is. We can make people squeal with our instant torque acceleration. But when it comes to showing off EAP capabilities (auto steer, lane keeping, TACC, auto park, summon, navigate on auto), people's jaws literally drop to the floor.

Personally I got EAP because of driving fatigue when driving long distances. I don't drive long distances often, but when I do, I'd like to be safe. EAP makes driving much less stressful.

Reactions: Dana1 and Saghost
EAP as a package defines how advanced the Model 3 is. We can make people squeal with our instant torque acceleration. But when it comes to showing off EAP capabilities (auto steer, lane keeping, TACC, auto park, summon, navigate on auto), people's jaws literally drop to the floor.
Well, those people must be easy to impress. While Autopilot in some cases has an incrementally better implementation, all of these capabilities have been available in other cars for a while. If navigate on autopilot moves beyond giving lane change suggestions and summon becomes smart that will be the first truly new features that Tesla has, and I don't think anyone would consider them "killer features". EAP is really nice if you spend a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic or long boring highway driving, but I wouldn't consider it "jaw dropping".

Folks who already own can still get the lower price (for now anyway).....

I probably should have been more clear in my post – I meant they increased the cost to $7K for people who already own (at least for me).

I purchased my MS two years ago right after the divorce from Mobileye, before any EAP software existed. I declined to purchase EAP at the time knowing Tesla habitually misses delivery promises and there was uncertainty regarding States allowing features beyond TACC. Fast forward two years and I’m now seeing value in EAP and planned to purchase soon… but it’s now $7K. It’s now less attractive for those who already own and have been on the fence. :mad:

BTW, Tesla temporarily dropped the price $500 at the end of the last quarter... I probably should have bought EAP then.

I probably should have been more clear in my post – I meant they increased the cost to $7K for people who already own (at least for me).
Can anyone confirm that, who has tried to purchase? I too am seeing $7k in my account to upgrade now, but I would think existing owners should be grandfathered in at $6k as there was no disclaimer on price increases when we purchased.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl

It looks that way, but isn't that way.

Tesla will honor the lower "buy it later" price for existing owners who were promised a lower price at time of purchase.

Several threads out there on this (like Model 3 owners "paying' 5k and getting a 1k refund because post-purchase price was 4k when they bought the car).

In the $7000 change they finally changed the terms to say post-purchase price can change at any time... so future buyers won't have that protection.

But you, and everyone else who owns one now, can buy it for the cheaper 'whatever it was post-purchase when you purchased' price right now.

It's unclear how much longer you'll be able to do so given the new language though so if on the fence now would be the time.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I was on the fence with EAP but ended up getting it on delivery. While justifying $5k for software is subjective, I can say I have enjoyed the benefits during my stop-and-go commute (even if its just TACC), and immensely with long highway trips. Personally I do not regret the expense.

It looks that way, but isn't that way.

Tesla will honor the lower "buy it later" price for existing owners who were promised a lower price at time of purchase.

Several threads out there on this (like Model 3 owners "paying' 5k and getting a 1k refund because post-purchase price was 4k when they bought the car).

In the $7000 change they finally changed the terms to say post-purchase price can change at any time... so future buyers won't have that protection.

But you, and everyone else who owns one now, can buy it for the cheaper 'whatever it was post-purchase when you purchased' price right now.

It's unclear how much longer you'll be able to do so given the new language though so if on the fence now would be the time.

THIS

Get it over with if you want it and pray Tesla doesn’t alter the deal any further before you pull the trigger. ;)

@doehringm93: Short answer: maybe.

I rented a 3 via Turo back in January of this year. Posted my experience with it here. In that thread I noted that I wouldn't be purchasing my own car with the EAP option simply because I didn't see the need. I received my car in July. Shortly thereafter Tesla offered EAP for a free trial period for those who didn't order, with a discounted (then) price of $5,500 if you decided to buy. I took advantage of the trial offer and realized it would be something that I could use after all so I bought it. I use TACC most of the time on my commute to work, spanning expressways (CA versions of them anyway; basically 45-50MPH, 6-lane city streets), freeways and even city streets. I'm always hovering my foot over the brake or accelerator but it does relieve some stress in the stop-and-go-and-stop traffic the Bay Area is known for. Used both TACC and auto-steer on a trip down I-5 to Los Angeles last week and there were a couple of times when I had to re-gain steering control (getting what I thought was too close to semis or seeing an upcoming left-lane offramp ahead). Otherwise it performed great. I rarely used the cruise control in my BMW 323i over the 18 years I've own it, even when driving to L.A. Tesla's implementation of TACC is something that's much better.

Is it worth $7K (or maybe $6K)? That could be a tough call for many to make. As people have said earlier, TACC should be a standard feature. Make auto-steer, auto-park, summon, etc. the real EAP.

I don't drive long distances often, but when I do, I'd like to be safe.
2lkfle.jpg

Sorry, just couldn't help but hear his voice in my head when I read that ;)

I wouldn’t have bought the car without EAP, not even with a 50% discount on the car (as a concept. Obviously I would have done that and then bought it after the fact. Just trying to say a Tesla without autopilot is unthinkable to me. Also why i don’t understand why anyone would buy a pre-AP Model S)

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I just ordered the MR yesterday. I'm already stretching my budget to make it work so I basically had a choice between LR and NO EAP or EAP and MR..... I know you can never have enough range but for the 6-10 200+ mile weekend trips I take a year i'll suffer with having to charge up on the way while I can relax 90% of the time

Reactions: Dana1 and Gavyne
The changing of the price is exactly why I got my car with both EAP and FSD. I have said this many times but when FSD actually comes to pass, in my opinion, there is no way the price stays at the 5K plus 3K I paid for it. Tesla could charge 20 grand for the feature and people would line up for it.

For so many people the ability to maintain independence when they would normally be relegated to relying on others for transportation is absolutely priceless. Blind, handicapped, severely ill, you name it. How about the ability for a young family to go back to one car per household instead of two or more? Send your child to school. Bring the car home to take you to work. Send the car home to take your spouse to work. Schedule pickups to bring everyone home in the afternoon/evening. One car payment instead of two or more. One insurance payment instead of two or more. Oh, and by the way, you can make money off the car in the afternoons when everyone is at work and school by making your car available for rental through the Tesla network. 20K? 30K? It will be a steal at any price.

Thrilled to have gotten it as cheap as I did.

Dan

I don't think you made a mistake and even if you did you can always add it later. Realistically, if you only drive in town and rarely take long highway trips you don't need EAP. If you plan to drive the M3 into to ground (aka after 20 or 30 years :)) then the effect on resale value isn't important either.