Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By what? A few inches at most? There's always been a focal shift from the road when looking at the speedometer, other gauges, mirrors, radio, etc.

Like I said, we shall see. But I fear it all adds up to less convenience to look at the speedo, let alone autopilot info.

Heck, if they made the speed change color or do something when you are driving over the posted speed limit, according to whatever the car thinks it is, then you might be able to see it out of the corner or your eye without even reading the number or changing focus from the road and/or your mirrors. This might actually be easier than a traditional speedometer depending on implementation.

Maybe. But then again the Model S/X implementation does command a much larger portion of your viewpoint, so any such notices (e.g. put hands back on wheel for Autopilot) are likely much more noticeable...

We shall see how it works. I have listed my concerns and time will tell how it works...

As said I think the car will be a business success despite of this.

when you get home, do you go lay on top of an air vent? Some people do, I'm sure. But most people don't.

Ever heard of fans? :) Direct air moves heat away from the skin and thus serves a different purpose than indirect air...

I think the use case for direct air, though, is much different in cars than in houses. You can be much more exposed in a car and getting the car cooled can take longer.

Finally, indirect air cools the space, while direct air cools you. Useful when sweatty/heated.

Reactions: slipnslider
Agreed. Bmw x1 dash is better. And it is similar priced car!

BMW has come a little way from this M3 from 1995:

1995-BMW-M3-dash.jpg

But the BMW X1 dash, in my opinion, is still hideous.
interior%20front%20BMW%20X1%20turbo%202017.jpg

There's too much going on, physical buttons everywhere AND a central screen. It's not even a touch screen, you have to use the little wheel thing.
There's even a CD player... do people still play CDs?
Now that I've seen pictures of the Model 3 interior, I do have to say the standard glove box handle on other cars is ugly, definitely an eyesore on that side of the car.

The Model 3 on the other hand offers a sense of elegance with its simplicity. It's like living in the future.

tesla-model-3-black-matte-1.jpg

(ignore the steering wheel)

In terms of the controls that I use on my 2004 Prius, I would say 90% are on my steering wheel, 5% on my touchscreen and 5% on the center console. I'm waiting to see what the steering wheel on the M3 can control and how it does it. The touchscreen can be more tedious if the car has a bumpy ride, and you can't take your eyes off the road to see where your finger is. In the M3, with AP2 running, I hope using the touchscreen will be easier. Overall I think the M3 will be a lot easier to drive than my 2004 Prius.
Have you thought about other technologies, - like voice recognition? My 2012 Prius does many things through voice recognition. I think the model 3 might be a break through in voice recognition for most functions.

Have you thought about other technologies, - like voice recognition? My 2012 Prius does many things through voice recognition. I think the model 3 might be a break through in voice recognition for most functions.
I haven't used voice control much since it's pretty poor in the 2004 Prius. I've tried a 2016 Mazda 3's voice control, but also find it lacking, in terms of natural language processing, compared with something like Amazon Echo for example. I don't know how much the car noise contribute, or traditional automakers just don't put in up-to-date tech in their cars. I would be very interested in seeing what Tesla does in the M3. I imagine some kind of voice control will be available.

I would hope that all future voice recognition/control implementations use Google's new method of identifying the user. Last thing I want is the vehicle being controlled by the radio.

I already stepped out of line and cancelled. I was wrong. EM is really building a $35K econo-box and down selling the hell out of it. I'm used to upscale German marques. I'll wait for the I-Pace. It seems to be positioned as a more upscale offering.
I congratulate you on waiting for the car you think you really want. My only question is why do you still participate on the Tesla forum? The I-Pace forum might be more to your liking.

The Model 3 on the other hand offers a sense of elegance with its simplicity. It's like living in the future.

tesla-model-3-black-matte-1.jpg

(ignore the steering wheel)

[wild speculation ahead]

I don't see any glove box release, or even a start button. What if Tesla built-in some kind of finger print lock for the glove box? or even for starting the car? A fingerprint lock for the glove box may be helpful in the car sharing application. fingerprint to start the car may work against it, though, unless if there is a BT based smartphone app that work alongside of it, to grant temporary access to other drivers.

I haven't used voice control much since it's pretty poor in the 2004 Prius. I've tried a 2016 Mazda 3's voice control, but also find it lacking, in terms of natural language processing, compared with something like Amazon Echo for example. I don't know how much the car noise contribute, or traditional automakers just don't put in up-to-date tech in their cars. I would be very interested in seeing what Tesla does in the M3. I imagine some kind of voice control will be available.
The voice recognition in my car works excellent, - no problem with language processing or car noise (the radio automatically, temporarily fades out). My only complaint is that it doesn't go far enough but the technology is over 5 years old.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
[wild speculation ahead]

I don't see any glove box release, or even a start button. What if Tesla built-in some kind of finger print lock for the glove box? or even for starting the car? A fingerprint lock for the glove box may be helpful in the car sharing application. fingerprint to start the car may work against it, though, unless if there is a BT based smartphone app that work alongside of it, to grant temporary access to other drivers.
The rumors say the hazard button and glove box button has been relocated to the rear view mirror area.

[wild speculation ahead]

And Tesla's don't have start buttons - you get in and step on the pedal and it's ready to go.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and Waiting4M3
Why would you suggest a Leaf to a person wanting to buy an upscale automobile?

I'd say not having a leash on your car is absolutely essential for a BEV to be considered "upscale". Until the I-Pace loses its leash, it can only play with the econo EVs like Leafs, Bolts, and i-3's.

Last edited:
People talking to machines always look and sounds stupid.
Mostly because machines have always been stupid. I see this as something that is gradually changing and will continue to change as computers become more capable and able to understand spoken language in a conversational manner. In a couple decades, someone poking buttons could look stupid.

I'm going to read between the lines on this one. Designer says don't worry about it because it's not final design. No discussion about it is needed. Anything he says will break the NDA or give false information.

Also, I guess the model 3 won't have knee airbags. Nothing can be placed in front of airbag zones so if this screen placement is final then I don't think the car will have knee air bags then. However, since safetly is number 1, the model 3 should have the same air bag protection as the S and X. I'm 99.9% sure the screen placement is not final.
Since when are your knees going to be in front of the screen or over the center console? There is nothing about the screen placement that precludes not having knee airbags.

Stop making baseless speculations and assumptions. Again, production is starting NEXT month, there is 100% absolutely, positively no way this is changing. The engineering, testing, and supply chain ramification issues at minimum would be a nightmare.

The rumors say the hazard button and glove box button has been relocated to the rear view mirror area.
I've seen this rumor, but doesn't make sense to me. It goes against the philosophy of less wiring and less complications and ease of manufacture. Glove box is usually opened with mechanical latch and having a switch a few feet away would only cause needless feet of wire and having an electrical switch and a electrical latch or solenoid. Way overcomplicating things and needless cost.

Same goes for the hazard switch. Sure, lots less complication added, but will require more wiring to route it up to the mirror area. That is extra cost and assembly time for someone having to route the wiring.

I believe these are located in the center console area beneath the screen. We haven't seen any good details up close of this area, and I'm sure they blend in fairly well. The S and X buttons are pretty discreet and most likely overlooked if one isn't looking for them.

Reactions: ikjadoon