Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage?

Did you purchase the Extended Warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im at 47K miles in 16 months of ownership and put almost 3K per month on so I have about 4 weeks to figure this out. Ive been going back and forth but this thread is mostly convincing me not to do it. Im thinking i'd be better off putting the 4K into more TSLA stock. 4K for what amounts to 1.5 years of coverage seems expensive, especially with the extra charges and exclusions.

Thanks for the bump. I had not read this thread when it was new. I just hit 40K mi and have been thinking of getting the extended warranty at 49K mi. But after reading this thread and learning there is a $200 deductible for each service visit (!!!!) I am not so sure except it'd prolly help with resale.

Wow Tesla, that deductible speaks VOLUMES about your confidence in the car's reliability.

debating. Tinm, plz read the agreement. $200 deductible is per issue (eg. handles) and not charged for any subsequent faults of same.

I've had amazingly trouble free 3+ years now. Only major issue being DU replacement, which is covered outside of extended warranty anyhow. So, if I continue like that, it would be $4k wasted. Yet, what if the air suspension needs some work? Could add up. Dunno, still thinking.

I've had amazingly trouble free 3+ years now. Only major issue being DU replacement, which is covered outside of extended warranty anyhow. So, if I continue like that, it would be $4k wasted. Yet, what if the air suspension needs some work? Could add up. Dunno, still thinking.

Count me as another who has largely had only DU replacements, but nothing else has gone wrong with the car (knock wood). I had a few initial quality issues, but those were cosmetic. Mechanically and functionally, my P85 has been as reliable as my Toyota.

I drive about 30K miles every year and so far had one DU replacement and due for next one very soon. I might just not buy extended warranty due to how much miles I add each year and plus not much issues faced except one DU replacement and some minor issues.

Fingers crossed

I got the one for my Fusion as it was a newer tech (PHEV) for them. Ford has a nice array of plans, different miles (75k, 100k, 125k), along with different years 1, 2, 3, or 4, and finally 3 different deductibles $0, $100, and $200. Pricing was a just a matrix, you picked your three numbers and a retail price comes out.

The only good thing to come from the dealer network was that Ford sells the plan to dealers and they mark up at will. What is good in that? Since it is good anywhere in the US, they can compete on price. I got a price quote from a NY dealer (I'm in Texas) for $1400 less and dealer selling me the car matched it rather than loose the sale. The finance person even admitted that nobody comparison shops it, if you hesitate, he knocks $500 off. On me, he was barely making $100 off it but will easily make it up that day alone. For 4 years, 100,000 miles, and only $100 ded. it was $1100.

I would think it would do Tesla some good to consider an array over the one size fits all.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing the ESA as a extended warranty.
It is not a warranty extension of the original new car warranty (4 Yrs, 50,000 miles)

The EAS is the Extended Service Agreement, E S A, and it is just that, a Service Extension.
Your New Car Warranty ends at 4 years and 50,000 miles. Period

So much has been offered over these three years and changed without notification.
-Ranger Service, Valet Service, Bumper to bumper coverage-

One thing that gripes me is the way our SC can and do dictate if and when they honor the old agreements or the new one.
Tire rotations, alignments to mention a few.

My 1st service agreement has a $100.00 deductible but when I need to purchase the 5 year, 50,000 and up mileage 2nd service agreement, it will be the New $200. deductible.

Since Tesla's website is down, you might take what I post with a grain of salt because I am unable to verify the details right now.

I do wish Tesla, in good faith, would invigorate the belief that Tesla really is a different car company.
One like no other, great car, sustaining energy and lower maintenance / ownership costs.
I really love my car, I live and talk Tesla but now I have to back track on allot of those great selling features and I hate to eat crow

My 1st service agreement has a $100.00 deductible but when I need to purchase the 5 year, 50,000 and up mileage 2nd service agreement, it will be the New $200. deductible.

Now I'm confused. What "first" service agreement has a $100 deductible? There's the factory warranty ($0 deductible), and then the one option to buy the 4 year 50,000 mile ESA which has a $200 deductible for $4000.

There are two customer agreements that comes with your new car purchase.
The first one is a New Car Warranty. 4 years or 50,000 miles.
This agreement covers any failures in manufacturing or parts.
Tesla use to call this 'the bumper to bumper', coverage.

There is NO Extension of your New Car Warranty!

The second agreement is a Service Agreement, 4 years or 50,000 miles.
This is for your routine Services. Like when you take the car in for wheel alignments, tire rotations and basic preventative things or for issues that arise. (Each Year or at 12,000 miles, which every come first).

Tesla says that you do not have to purchase this 2nd agreement and if you do not purchase it, this will not affect your New Car Warranty. The cost of yearly 12,000 mile, service calls can be $600.00 per visit (plus parts). By purchasing the Service Agreement, you can help reduce some of those of service related costs. (alignments, tire rotations, ect).

Now, as to the Extended Service Agreement, ESA, it is just that, an Extended Service Agreement.
Each time you request service, you are liable for a $100.00 co-pay. At least, if you have already purchased the Service agreement. (another item that has changed)

Details of the New & Revised, Extended Service Agreement, states that the co-pay has risen to $200.00 per use. This Extended Service Agreement starts at the end of the New Car Warranty, (4 years and 50,000 miles and MUST be purchased within 30 days of the end of such New Car Warranty.

As to the exacting details of the Warranty & Extended Service Agreements, consult the Tesla site for the necessary brochures.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not quite right. Unless things have changed, there are actually 4 things:
  • The warranty that everyone gets: 8 years / unlimited km for the battery and drive unit, 4 years / 50,000 mi / 80,000 km for the rest of the car
  • The Extended Service Agreement that you can buy up to 30 days before the warranty expires. This covers repairs for the next 4 years / 50,000 mi / 80,000 km and has a $200 (not $100) deductible. It's technically not an extended warranty - not sure why - but it covers repairs to failed components.
  • The 4 year service plan, which is just pre-paying for 4 annual service visits. These visits include checking over the car, wheel alignment, tire rotation, changing wiper blades, topping up fluids and possibly applying some service bulletin type updates, although that may be more of a warranty thing.
  • The 4+4 year service plan, which is just pre-paying for 8 annual service visits

That's not quite right. Unless things have changed, there are actually 4 things:
  • The warranty that everyone gets: 8 years / unlimited km for the battery and drive unit, 4 years / 50,000 mi / 80,000 km for the rest of the car
  • The Extended Service Agreement that you can buy up to 30 days before the warranty expires. This covers repairs for the next 4 years / 50,000 mi / 80,000 km and has a $200 (not $100) deductible. It's technically not an extended warranty - not sure why - but it covers repairs to failed components.
  • The 4 year service plan, which is just pre-paying for 4 annual service visits. These visits include checking over the car, wheel alignment, tire rotation, changing wiper blades, topping up fluids and possibly applying some service bulletin type updates, although that may be more of a warranty thing.
  • The 4+4 year service plan, which is just pre-paying for 8 annual service visits

Thank you for typing this up, so I don't have to! This is very clear and accurate. The ESA is just a poorly named extended warranty (read the terms, that's what it really is, see below), and has nothing actually to do with pre-paid service plans (or the ala-carte Annual Inspection).

What BozieBeMe2 posted? So much confusion abounds. Which is why I asked the question above: 'What "first" service agreement has a $100 deductible?" -- Answer: There is none.

Extended service agreement, $4,000
Covers the Model S repair or replacement of parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage lasts for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, and begins on the date your original warranty expires.

see: Service plans | Tesla Motors
- - - Updated - - -

Also, this makes no sense:

The cost of yearly 12,000 mile, service calls can be $600.00 per visit (plus parts). By purchasing the Service Agreement, you can help reduce some of those of service related costs. (alignments, tire rotations, ect).

Now, as to the Extended Service Agreement, ESA, it is just that, an Extended Service Agreement. Each time you request service, you are liable for a $100.00 co-pay. At least, if you have already purchased the Service agreement. (another item that has changed)

All the Prepaid Service plan is are 4 Annual Inspections at a reduced rate. You can buy them one at a time for $600, or 4 at a time for $475 each, and all include the "Annual Inspection". There has been some mention that the pre-paid service plan includes a wheel alignment, while the ala-carte one for $600 does not. There are no deductibles for the Service plans or Annual Inspections. And the deductible for the ESA is not dependent if you bought the pre-paid service plan.

Last edited:

^^ this.

There never was a $100 deductible in the ESA that I'm aware of, it's always been $200. I purchased the ESA in 2013 when it was $2,500, same $200 deductible as today's $4,000 ESA. Now if you hop over to one of the other threads, you will see that at least one service center is telling owners that there is NO DEDUCTIBLE charged on the ESA. There are some reports here at TMC where some SvCs have charged the deductible and others haven not. It seems discretionary.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy the extended warranty myself. I'm at almost 41,000 miles after 18 months of driving. I'm estimating that $4000 ESA will cover me for an additional 2 years or so.

But... what does it actually cover?

It doesn't cover the battery or motor (which is already covered by the primary warranty).

The extended warranty explicitly doesn't cover "adjustments necessary to correct squeaks, rattles, water leaks or wind noise." -- which has been one of my recurring issues.

It also doesn't cover "suspension alignment, wheel balancing, hoses, air conditioning lines, hoses or connections, battery testing, fluid changes, appearance care, filters."

Not surprisingly, it doesn't include "Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g. windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets..."

Oh, and "You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA." (Which, for me, means three "annual" service appointments each year at a cost of $600-900 each... plus pick up / delivery for distance from Service Center.)

After all of that, if something covered does go wrong, you still pay the $200 deductible for the repair.

I'll follow up on this post in 12 months -- after my new vehicle warranty has expired and all of my door handles and screens stop working. ;)