Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disabling Model 3 AutoPilot without Disabling Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm in AutoPilot and traffic gets congested on the freeway, I tend to disable AP with an up-tap on the right stalk, but that also disables the Cruise Control feature.

So, instead of a single,, quick tap do accomplishwhat I'd like, I need two separate taps on the stalk -- one up-tap to disable AP, and another down-tap to enable Cruise Control -- to get from AutoPilot to Cruise Control mode.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to accomplish the desired effect with a singe action ratter than two, separate actions? Do I need to change an AutoPilot menu setting to allow me to accomplish what I wish?

TIA!

Let's get our terminology straight. AP consists of a number of components, most prominently "lane keeping" which assists with steering and "traffic aware cruise control" which handles acceleration and braking. I'm guessing what you want to do is disengage "lane keeping" wile keeping "traffic aware cruise control" active. To do this, just give the steering wheel a tiny bit of a tug. Doesn't take much... you don't have to veer out of lane.

@myster2, your suggestion (tap on brake) will definitely discontinue traffic aware cruise control, which I think is what @SkagitDoug wants to keep going.

The Model 3 owners manual is a good place to look to answer questions like this. You can access it from the center display or by logging into your Tesla account and downloading a PDF of the manual. It states that TACC is cancelled by pressing the brake pedal or by moving the gear lever up and releasing. It also states that if you cancel Autosteer by moving the steering wheel, TACC remains active. I cannot find any statement saying that when using Autosteer, pressing the brake pedal turns off Autosteer but not TACC. That doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe that is the case but I can’t test it right now because I’m about 1,000 miles away from my Model 3.

While you are on both AutoSteer and AutoCruise, you can disable AutoSteer ONLY if you apply enough torque on the steering wheel to break off its own automatic torque. That way, your AutoSteer would be disabled while your AutoCruise is still active to brake and go in stop-and-go traffic.
Thank you, Tam, I didn't realize cruise remained enabled after manually resisting autosteer.

I don't like doing that, though, because of the jerk in the direction you're steering when autosteer releases control. If you're near the edge of a lane, this action can result in an less-than-desirable lane-change.

Maybe my tap-up-tap-down sequence is the best I can do until Elon give me a Setting capability to only disable auto-steer with an up-tap.

The Model 3 owners manual is a good place to look to answer questions like this. You can access it from the center display or by logging into your Tesla account and downloading a PDF of the manual.
Thanks, ecarfan, but after years of competitive driving, I don't think I'll ever learn to steer in a direction I don't intend to procede, or to brake when I don't want to decelerate, in order to disable autosteer.

Deeply ingrained thought pattern are not easily altered, but thanks!

If you tap up on the drive stalk once, it will disable autosteer but leave TACC enabled. I do it all the time. Tap up twice and both are disabled.
Just went out and tried this (thanks for giving me a reason to go for a drive). This doesn't work for me. Tapping up once disables both. Maybe software version is the difference? I'm on 36.2

Incorrect.

If you exert enough force on the wheel it’ll disable autosteer and leave TACC enables, however.

This does work for me and leaves TACC enabled. I find it to be quite easy, but can see how some may not like it.

Tapping the brake also disables both for me.

Thanks, ecarfan, but after years of competitive driving, I don't think I'll ever learn to steer in a direction I don't intend to procede, or to brake when I don't want to decelerate, in order to disable autosteer.

Deeply ingrained thought pattern are not easily altered, but thanks!

FWIW, I don't think you need to steer very much in a direction in order to get it to break off autosteer. It might be worth giving a shot before giving up on the idea. I have done this a number of times while testing autosteer on two lane non-divided roads. When I come to a corner and there are cars in the other lane, I don't like how close autosteer gets to the oncoming traffic and so I will pull the wheel in a direction away from the approaching car. This disables autosteer but leaves TACC enabled.

As far as I know, there is no other way to "downgrade" from autosteer to just TACC other than this (or fully turning autosteer off and then re-enabling TACC).

FWIW, I don't think you need to steer very much in a direction in order to get it to break off autosteer. It might be worth giving a shot before giving up on the idea. I have done this a number of times while testing autosteer on two lane non-divided roads. When I come to a corner and there are cars in the other lane, I don't like how close autosteer gets to the oncoming traffic and so I will pull the wheel in a direction away from the approaching car. This disables autosteer but leaves TACC enabled.

As far as I know, there is no other way to "downgrade" from autosteer to just TACC other than this (or fully turning autosteer off and then re-enabling TACC).
Agreed, a very slight turn will do it. I've done it accidentally when grabbing the wheel for a nag.

Just went out and tried this (thanks for giving me a reason to go for a drive). This doesn't work for me. Tapping up once disables both. Maybe software version is the difference? I'm on 36.2

This does work for me and leaves TACC enabled. I find it to be quite easy, but can see how some may not like it.

Tapping the brake also disables both for me.
Really? Does the drive stalk have a half push like the the blinker stalk? I’m on .34 and a gentle up push only disables autosteer.