Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Op already he owns a Model 3. Crying the whole time about how Elon forced him to wait in line. Forced him to confirm the order and forced him to sign the paperwork.

I bet he’s still resentful the Model 3 is not a literal spaceship and read too much into Elon’s tweeting.

This guy just constantly feels like tesla owes him something. I'm not sure why he even bought the car, all he manages to do is complain about the most trivial stuff.

My guess would be that some costs are higher than expected, and they are looking for a little more revenue on average per car. They could of raised the cost of the car to $35.5K or $36K and kept paint as is... but even a $500 increase on the SR would of left an opening for a flood of “Tesla $35K Model 3 Dream Crashes” media pieces. I’m not a fan of how the paint increase will feel to long time reservation holders for whom the SR is a stretch, but, hopefully by January or so when they start configuring, this increase can be unwound.

fwiw, as to higher than expected costs, I have in mind the amount of money on making corrections to cars after delivery and what the cost of transporting/storing 5K cars per week has turned out to be.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Tesla certainly is within their rights to raise their prices. However, it is disappointing that it's going in the wrong direction to support continued adoption of BEV's by making the Model 3 harder for mass market affordability. If we are to believe the many reports in the press and from Tesla themselves, their margins on this car are already among the largest of any auto manufacturer. I also don't understand the up and down pricing swings which gives the impression they don't know what they're doing. I can afford the price increases, although I've already placed my order, but will have a difficult time encouraging others to follow my move to BEV's, when the purchase cost continues to push the Model 3 further away from competing ICE vehicle pricing.

My guess would be that some costs are higher than expected, and they are looking for a little more revenue on average per car. They could of raised the cost of the car to $35.5K or $36K and kept paint as is... but even a $500 increase on the SR would of left an opening for a flood of “Tesla $35K Model 3 Dream Crashes.”

fwiw, as to higher than expected costs, I have in mind the amount of money on making corrections to cars after delivery and what the cost of transporting/storing 5K cars per week has turned out to be.

I think your right....I keep seeing people making 10,000 changes to their config/order because Tesla added this or subtracted that and Tesla figures now they can make money off all the changes...and maybe it’s an attempt to cut down on the million config changes everyone is doing. Don’t know. Just order the car and stick with it.

Ski

See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.
It's called supply and demand. Tesla can do whatever it wants as long as orders exceed output capacity. Perhaps you should stand in front of the Fremont factory with a protest sign, Norma Rae. Or better yet, don't order the car.

Let's see. i wonder what percentage of Tesla buyers also buy iPhones, and whether folks complain about the price for the latest model. I'll wager that there is a huge profit on each iPhone, but folks pay the price willingly. Same thing for other desirable objects like nice cameras, watches, etc. Nice paint is not much different, eh?
As much as I would (selfishly) like to pay a low price for my next car, I also want Tesla to be profitable, and if charging more for desirable options is the way the company chooses to do it, more power to them. The market will either support that or it won't. If the market resists, presumably the smart folks in Palo Alto HQ will heed the message and adjust pricing again.

My guess would be that some costs are higher than expected, and they are looking for a little more revenue on average per car. They could of raised the cost of the car to $35.5K or $36K and kept paint as is... but even a $500 increase on the SR would of left an opening for a flood of “Tesla $35K Model 3 Dream Crashes” media pieces. I’m not a fan of how the paint increase will feel to long time reservation holders for whom the SR is a stretch, but, hopefully by January or so when they start configuring, this increase can be unwound.

Pretty much that. Tesla's profitability statements were fairly bold and they absolutely must nail them to solidify credibility and the viability of the company in the eyes of many. If they needed a slightly higher ASP to do it for whatever reason, then their choices were either to increase base prices or increase option prices and I agree that targeting the options prices was a better choice. People have this weird idea that what Tesla charges for paint is somehow linked to the cost of paint or painting the car, similar to the obsession with differences in AWD vs. base Performance 3 hardware...

Reactions: SteveG3
I'd love for Tesla to constantly hug trees and sell their cars to free, but they exist in a capitalistic market and they are a publicly traded company. In order to accomplish their mission statement, they need to be profitable, and that means adjusting prices to accommodate demand.