Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been admiring and wanting a tesla for years.
Now that I've finally got my hand on my model y - my first tesla, I've been disappointed today after discovering I will need to pay out of pocket for a service appointment.

So I took delivery around May 18th, and I've been writing down all the problems that I discovered and finally scheduled an appointment to fix them all hoping to prevent multiple trip to the service center.

One of the problems is I have paint issue.
However the representative told me they will not honor this since it's been more than 7 days since delivery and I will have to pay out of pocket...

First of all, no one really tell me there is a deadline on paint issue.
It may have been listed some where in contract but I just don't know...

Second, why should I pay for someone else mistake just because I didn't report it within 7 days of delivery?

Honestly i'm disappointed and a little piss to hear that.
I'm originally ordered a RWD and have to convert to AWD and pay for the extra due to no news regarding the RWD.
I hate they didn't give us an update and keep stalling.
And now I might even have to pay for paint issue that wasn't caused by me?

I still love my model y although I do have some complaints about the car here and there.

Contacted factory delivery advisor per the representative and hoping they can make this right...

Attachments

• 20200611_104656.jpg
    20200611_104656.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 20200601_085938.jpg
    20200601_085938.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200611_104656.jpg
    20200611_104656.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 169
Sorry to hear about your story. I made a series of Tesla Model Y repair experience video.

Even though this is not my first Tesla, I was surprised to find out that you have 100 miles to report any paint or panel misalignment issues. And, as you stated, I don't ever recall reading anything about 100 miles free paint repair warranty. After that, as you stated, you are responsible for the paint problem. And as for panel gap, they have a measuring tool to decide if the gap falls within the acceptable range.

And, looks like you passed 7 days or 1k miles return period as well. Just work with your service consultant and ask to speak to their manager. The paint issues in your photos aren't unique to your car.

You could tell them you want arbitration and see how that goes. Or you could go the negative media route. Lawyer sue them to fix the car. The choice is yours.
Honestly I don't really want to make a fuss on this.
If they won't pay for it, I might probably just pay for myself or let it pass since it's not too significant.
But really I am disappointed, been a tesla fan boys and keep defending tesla from my friends and family.

Reactions: preilly44
The best thing one can do about this is thoroughly expect the car at delivery and insist on a written due bill for anything you find before agreeing to take it. Since it's too late for that and you're past the unwritten bullshit policy of "7 days or 100 miles to report pre-delivery defects", your best bet is to get Tesla to formally refuse to cover these issues under warranty and proceed to arbitration via your state's warranty dispute program. In California's case, that's California Dispute Settlement Program (CDSP) - Arbitration Certification Program

@obana1990 you get huge props for being so calm about being screwed over by Tesla for something that any/all conventional dealerships would clearly cover at no cost. It must be a Cali thing... ;)

That $^it wouldn't fly in NY...

Haha, I think obana is just being super chill. We've seen our fair share of upset customers in this situation that we ended up helping. From our sample size there's definitely more customers that raise Hell than those that are calm about it (not saying they shouldn't give Tesla a hard time).

Reactions: IdaBish
@obana1990 you get huge props for being so calm about being screwed over by Tesla for something that any/all conventional dealerships would clearly cover at no cost. It must be a Cali thing... ;)

That $^it wouldn't fly in NY...

I heard many other people stories that are more screwed than me.
Although I hate the fact that this happens to me but it's nothing that I can't live with.
I have like 6-7 problems for this upcoming appointment, most of them are nothing major.

The paint issue on the side panel is small, that's why I only realize it until now.
I guess a $50 out of pocket for the touch up kit should do it fix it.

Haha, I think obana is just being super chill. We've seen our fair share of upset customers in this situation that we ended up helping. From our sample size there's definitely more customers that raise Hell than those that are calm about it (not saying they shouldn't give Tesla a hard time).
Yeah, one of the reason is because I still love and want to support Tesla.
However I can't guaranteed I will still keep my cool if Tesla continue to do such things to me.

I have my tesla solar roof scheduled to install sometime this year.
Finger crossed, it will be a better experience.
When I lost my faith with Tesla then probably I won't be so calm next time.

So far model y experience is a mix of bitter and sweet to me.
I reserved RWD, but got no words and I kept waiting and waiting and eventually have to pay extra for AWD.
If i had know this, i would probably go for AWD and save some money there.

Then the delivery experience is another downfall.
I thought my finance rate was locked in the moment i finished the application online but turns out my rate raised just before I take delivery.

Got a text at the weekend and told me delivery in 2-4 days.
I was expecting to get a heads up of 1-2 months or at least 1-2 weeks.
Then they told me because of my credit report will be expiring so they will make the delivery next day (Yes, literally next day after I got the text).

I kept waiting and end up getting a call saying they have to reschedule and push back 2 days.
That's fine for me, but this is just looking bad on the customer end.

And now we have this not honoring paint issue.

Well, Tesla I just hope my love is enough to cover for my hate towards you.

Honestly I don't really want to make a fuss on this.
If they won't pay for it, I might probably just pay for myself or let it pass since it's not too significant.
But really I am disappointed, been a tesla fan boys and keep defending tesla from my friends and family.

Did you happen to take any pictures of the paint issues/other concerns on the day you found them within the 7 day period? If so, I would send those to them with their date stamps as proof they were there within the allotted time frame.

Did you happen to take any pictures of the paint issues/other concerns on the day you found them within the 7 day period? If so, I would send those to them with their date stamps as proof they were there within the allotted time frame.
No, unfortunately I only discovered the paint issue like last week.
I think at this point, they won't cover the repair fee.
Maybe I could call off the repair on paint and ask them for a free touch up kit although I won't bet my money on that either.