Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to start a thread similar to this about how underwhelmed I was. I actually like the look a little bit better than the Model 3 but I'm sure those that own & live with the Model 3 every day will disagree since it's what they're used to. I feel like the proportions of the Y look better than they do on the Model 3 in a similar design.

I think one massive negative though is that rear jump-seat. They clearly did that for marketing purposes as real-world use is going to be less than stellar for anyone larger than a teenager. Sure you can but will you want to? They clearly just tossed it in to be able to market it as a 7-seat midsize SUV. Whatever.

That aside if you compare it to the other segment competition this vehicle will absolutely monkey-stomp it's competition in just about every measurable and quantifiable category. This is good for EVs and the acceleration of mass adoption. This is a segment that EVs desperately NEED to be competitive in so this is a positive sign for EVs. I also feel like he did NOTHING to build of the Model 3 and how significant it's been to this point. He needed to emphasize that it was a $35k car now before incentives/credits and just how many of them they were now producing a month and the truncated delivery times. There was a LOT of people who were watching that know nothing of Tesla and still think that it takes years to get one of these. Then you throw up that the Model Y isn't available until late 2021 and it just solidifies what the average person thinks of Tesla. This is all a massive marketing fail IMO.

My biggest let-down was that it was boring. For starers, Elon needs a CMO in a big way. Watching him speak is painful and as much as he's done it one would think he would be better at it by now. His presentations don't inspire confidence and excitement so how he motivates employees to do such incredible things is beyond me. He's clearly a brilliant engineer but lacks the people skills which isn't uncommon among engineers. He needs to stick to what he's good at and hire someone to speak on the companies behalf. The entire presentation was like a 7th grade student put it on and not one of the most important companies of our time. For too long he and others have underestimated this aspect of the face of the company and it's really holding Tesla back in the eyes of the general unwashed masses.

Lastly, where was the "one more thing" that we were all waiting for? Just kind of a whimper at the end "well, there's the Y. Bye." and it was over. No Model S/X refresh announcement or pickup truck news or... something. Anything! Give us something to wet our appetite and leave us all thinking "that was an awesome experience" when in reality it was trash. The last thing is what people will remember and they basically gave us nothing to positive to think of. Watching it live the silence from the crowd when they brought out the Model Y followed by "the end" wasn't as big of a hit as I think they thought it would be.

I don't know, I just think that it was incredible underwhelming just like their Model 3 $35k announcement and these are the wins they need when trying to win over Joe Six Pack.

Why did they release this so early? The same reason they've been playing pinball with prices and autopilot features, lowering prices and then announcing a 3% price increase...to increase revenue for Q1. All those "cheap" FSD options for existing owners injected a lot of $2-3k deposits for promised SW functionality. Requiring $2500 to "purchase" rather than $1000 to reserve a Model Y that won't exist for 2 years is the same. Basically they are getting many millions of dollars in interest free loans with no additional recurring costs in the case of FSD and no delivery for 2 years in the case of the Model Y.

I'm a supporter of Tesla's Mission and will be buying a Model 3 in the next few months. But the behavior in the last month has me quite worried about their finances since it seems very obvious to me they're really pumping up Q1 desperately.

Alright adding something. I wouldn't be as disappointed if the car is available much sooner, for example this fall. Given how similar it is to Model 3, I thought they are almost done with it, and you could get one fairly soon. But it's 2 years away and it ll have the same design as a car that was unveiled like 5+ years ago by the time it actually gets to customers in any material numbers. Honestly by that time they should already have a refresh Model 3 on sale and next gen Model 3 design in process.

That's like selling an old gen product as new... pretty weak...

Last edited:
Look around that's exactly how all those new SUV/CUV are like and why people want are buying them. A vehicle drives like a sedan, instead of a truck, but with higher sitting position and better room. You don't see people hauling manure or go off road with them.

For the look if you have in mind a sporty CUV the side profile imo looks amazingly good. It's in the similar design languange as Model X, BMW X6 or Merc GLE Coupe but, unlike them, it hit the perfect note on proportion and detail. Take a look at the sideview profile to see if you agree. Again it's not a boxy (which will have lousy aerodynamic anyway) truck like SUV if that's what you want. It's a modern sporty CUV. It will sell like hot cakes. Even that nothing can satisfy everyone of course.

Tesla unveils Model Y electric SUV with 300 miles range and 7-seats

It will have FSD capability (when available) without needing hardware update. Meaning everything will be built in.
I agree that side view looks great. That is definitely the best looking picture of it so far. rear 3/4 view looks pretty good as well. The front 1/4 view looks a bit odd. Maybe because the front is so small compared to the big rear end.

I'm super curious how the 3rd row seats work. I'm wondering if they are going to be really low down compared to the front and second rows. In the picture looking in from the back hatch the tops of the seat belts seem really low. I wonder if the rear seats basically sit in the big trunk hole that is in the 3. I think I'd go for the 5 seater if that was the case.

EDIT: Granted the battery penthouse also has to fit in there somehow.. so who knows?

Last edited:
It's a shame Elon spent 30mins on the company history recap, and only 7mins on the Y.
The dark and blocky streaming video + dark blue car against a dark background gave little impression of the shape of the car.
It reminds me of the 3 "handover ceremony" (the 2nd "3" event) where they did a rubbish job at selling the car. I almost think they're doing it deliberately to make sure they don't cannibalise 3 demand too much - that they'll slowly leak more information once they know the possible damage. They didn't show the frunk and it's size. Newbies wouldn't even know it had one! They didn't show it was a hatchback (the videos of it on the mountain roads on the website give away where the join is). They could have shown how big it is compared to the 3 by putting them beside each other - I think it's a lot taller. Elon's tall - so most people on Electrek it seems (with him standing in front of it and the camera near the floor) got the impression that it's too small for a crossover and too small to seat 7 people. If it's the same rough length as a 3 then the 2 rear seats will be very small and leave less than a foot of bootspace behind them (though the book will likely be very tall and deep, and 2ft deep at the bottom of the boot). I can't see that the 2 rear seats would be for anyone taller than 5ft3.
We didn't even get to see the glass roof properly. Could have had some nice swooping cameras spin round the car.
Very underwhelming presentation. I can see 100k orders in a week, not the 350k of the 3.
I think this and the 3 could have more openings in the blunt nose that channel the air under the car or at the sides and out over the wheel arches like a few recent cars do. The front looks too bulbous and plain.

I agree that side view looks great. That is definitely the best looking picture of it so far. rear 3/4 view looks pretty good as well. The front 1/4 view looks a bit odd. Maybe because the front is so small compared to the big rear end.

I'm super curious how the 3rd row seats work. I'm wondering if they are going to be really low down compared to the front and second rows. In the picture looking in from the back hatch the tops of the seat belts seem really low. I wonder if the rear seats basically sit in the big trunk hole that is in the 3. I think I'd go for the 5 seater if that was the case.
It's a shame Elon spent 30mins on the company history recap, and only 7mins on the Y.
The dark and blocky streaming video + dark blue car against a dark background gave little impression of the shape of the car.
It reminds me of the 3 "handover ceremony" (the 2nd "3" event) where they did a rubbish job at selling the car. I almost think they're doing it deliberately to make sure they don't cannibalise 3 demand too much - that they'll slowly leak more information once they know the possible damage. They didn't show the frunk and it's size. Newbies wouldn't even know it had one! They didn't show it was a hatchback (the videos of it on the mountain roads on the website give away where the join is). They could have shown how big it is compared to the 3 by putting them beside each other - I think it's a lot taller. Elon's tall - so most people on Electrek it seems (with him standing in front of it and the camera near the floor) got the impression that it's too small for a crossover and too small to seat 7 people. If it's the same rough length as a 3 then the 2 rear seats will be very small and leave less than a foot of bootspace behind them (though the book will likely be very tall and deep, and 2ft deep at the bottom of the boot). I can't see that the 2 rear seats would be for anyone taller than 5ft3.
We didn't even get to see the glass roof properly. Could have had some nice swooping cameras spin round the car.
Very underwhelming presentation. I can see 100k orders in a week, not the 350k of the 3.
I think this and the 3 could have more openings in the blunt nose that channel the air under the car or at the sides and out over the wheel arches like a few recent cars do. The front looks too bulbous and plain.
I think you are spot on regarding not wanting to cannibalize 3 sales. Definitely walking a fine line on that one.
They need to show enough to show investors that they have viable products in the pipeline.. but they really don't want a bunch of people that would have purchased a 3 sitting for another 18 months.

Reactions: T-Will
Used X vs new Y will be an interesting cross-shop for those looking to add to, not replace their 3.

I'm already there......

which sets up another interesting dynamic: If Tesla refreshes the X, CPO X prices could fall to the point that they effectively cannibalize some Model Y sales before it's out.

Would it be in meaningful numbers? not likely. but still an interesting thing to watch.

Reactions: woodisgood
I'm already there......

which sets up another interesting dynamic: If Tesla refreshes the X, CPO X prices could fall to the point that they effectively cannibalize some Model Y sales before it's out.

Would it be in meaningful numbers? not likely. but still an interesting thing to watch.

For sure. I think the 179 issue (or rather, that the X qualifies and Y likely won't) adds to this equation as well for a lot of people.

When was that announced? My understanding is that only NEW superchargers are going to be v3, ones currently in place will be getting the bump to 145kW.
Elon said that all SC's would eventually be refreshed 'sometime next year'.

I think given that Elon had previously said that 90% of 3 & Y parts are common, we couldn't expect anything other than a chunkier Model 3. What I find most disappointing is that we're looking at 2021 for volume deliveries. I really thought the 'one more thing' was going to be 'and you can order now for delivery by the end of the year'. I was ready to reserve/order, but 2021 is a long way away, a lot can happen between now and then (X refresh, other competitors etc). Given the amount of common parts, and the fact that M3 demand is somewhat caught up, I really think that Y needs to come on-stream much faster.

Compared to the model 3 the model Y unveil was underwhelming in multiple ways as others have pointed out. The crowded stage, poor lighting and unimpressive camera angles made the Y look bad. The model Y prototype on stage had chrome trim and door handles which is not available on the production version. It is also odd that they only had one prototype vehicle for test rides. The test ride vehicle had wheels that are not an available option in the configurator. The whole event seemed rushed and the timing did not make any sense. I reserved Model 3 before the unveil but I am not sold on Model Y(atleast not yet). Even though it might be refundable, the $2500 deposit and the fact that it is an order and not a reservation make it a bigger barrier for me to commit to with out more details on the vehicle. In my opinion they should have made the Y a little bigger to accommodate a decent third row or have the cargo volume comparable to Rav4/CRV. The ground clearance is another concern if it is less than 8 inches. The test ride vehicle seemed very close to the ground when going over the speed bumps.

This was a pretty disappointing roll-out, for 2 primary reasons:
  • Model Y looks like a bloated model 3, with a bit more interior room, but not much; with road clearance that doesn't look materially different. Its shape will compromise both rear headroom and cargo space
  • Won't be available, per Tesla estimate, until late 2020, which likely means spring 2021 in reality in any meaningful numbers (optimistic). Given similarities to Model 3, that's a really long development period. Also it basically uses Model 3 interior/tech, which will be 4 years old by then, really time for a refresh
Honestly the Model Y doesn't look that good. Also why roll out a car when it's still 2 years away, when it's really nothing new? Back when Model 3 was unveiled, I was really excited. I didn't feel any excitement yesterday. The car is nothing new, looks unremarkable, mundane, no feeling of coolness, just another boring crossover, one of the uglier ones at that.
the back of Tesla SUV will all look like that. Just like the Model X and now Model Y. It is for aerodynamic reason to reduce drag.
I wish that the back cargo area has a much higher headroom for more space as well.

Wow. I think the car looks great and will sell great. They even blacked out the chrome. To my eye the lines are better than the X.

The bad lighting was likely intentional. It particularly made the model X they rolled out look like crap.

Good (Massive cargo room, hatch, 7 seat option, gorgeous almost 100% glass roof)
Cheap (Modest premium over the 3 for an arguably better car overall)
Fast (2020 better than late 2021 or early 2021. How long have Model 3 owners waited since the day 1 reveal?)

There is no making anyone happy FFS. Cold fusion thrusters, $30K price tag and summer delivery before anyone is impressed?