Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion about production Model 3 #1 (SN1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that picture he is not backing up. He is talking to/with the photographer that at that moment is positioned behind the car.
watch video.....pretty unorthodox back up IMHO... my model S was my first car with a backup camera .... never thought I would need it but the rear view is so bad I use it even when driving ...I guess it remains to be seen how therear view is on M3

Teslarati seems to think the Model 3 may have self presenting doors. Seems excessively hopeful...
It's wishful thinking and the author seems to have convinced himself he's seeing and hearing things that others don't. At least those who see humanoid faces on the lunar or Martian surface can be excused because they're seeing an optical illusion. In this case, the driver was clearly opening/closing the door with his hand.

People over a certain age drove for many years without backup cameras so it's still not a first instinct thing for them. Of course I would have no idea about that ;)
Hey, I'm one of those people over a certain age and I do place my right arm over the passenger seat back and rotate my head and torso so I can look directly out the rear window when backing into a space. I'll have to retrain myself to rely on the rear-view camera when I get my Model 3. :)

Hey, I'm one of those people over a certain age and I do place my right arm over the passenger seat back and rotate my head and torso so I can look directly out the rear window when backing into a space. I'll have to retrain myself to rely on the rear-view camera when I get my Model 3. :)
Or not. Self presenting door handles so you don't have to move your arms, doors that open themselves so you don't have to go to any effort whatsoever, backup cameras so you don't need to turn around to look, cars that even drive themselves with One Big Screen so you don't ever need to get out your Little Screen at every red light to text how much closer to home you are. It's all headed for a bad end.
Robin

Buy-N-Large.jpg

Last edited:
Car looks disproportionately high (a lot of space between the tires and fenders). More amplified being that this is a smaller, narrower car with an already tall cockpit area. Assuming air suspension is not yet available and this is a coil spring car. I hope they'll reconsider the current height setting and narrow the wheel/fender gap up to be more in line with the Model S (and most other cars). Otherwise I'm forced to wait for whenever the Air Suspension becomes available as this is something that would drive me nuts.
again another person who wants the 3 to be an s but 2+x less price..lol..really?

people expect a model s car at 1/2 or less price in the model 3? why? That would be lame of tesla to do that...for model s sales i mean.

I would like to make myself clear. When I mentioned the hatchback, I have thought since the model s came out, why more companies didn't do this to sedans. I didn't realize that it cost more to make the car a hatchback- I actually, for some reason (which I think may be related to seeing so many European hatchbacks), figured it was actually easier / more cost effective to do than making a traditional trunk. I also didn't realize it would decrease headroom for those in the backseat (I'm short so it isn't something I notice I guess). When I read the initial reply and explanation, I changed my opinion. I am a realist & not quite sure why the reply had to start out with "you've got to be kidding" rather than just asking if I was aware of the cost / change involved in what I said I was hoping for. Attempting to teach is much better than being condescending right off the bat. If someone isn't willing to learn, then do as you wish from there. :)

When I read the initial reply and explanation, I changed my opinion. I am a realist & not quite sure why the reply had to start out with "you've got to be kidding" rather than just asking if I was aware of the cost / change involved in what I said I was hoping for.

Well, your comments didn't appear in a vacuum. People have been saying that they hope for a hatchback since before the initial reveal. Once that reveal happened it became clear that this was going to be a sedan with a trunk. Despite this, people have continued asking and hoping and speculating about a hatchback. After 15 solid months of it being absolutely certain that there is not going to be a hatchback and that the design of the car does not allow for it, I think some folks are just a little exhausted at going over it again, and kind of incredulous that this is still a thing.

Reactions: garsh
Well, your comments didn't appear in a vacuum. People have been saying that they hope for a hatchback since before the initial reveal. Once that reveal happened it became clear that this was going to be a sedan with a trunk. Despite this, people have continued asking and hoping and speculating about a hatchback. After 15 solid months of it being absolutely certain that there is not going to be a hatchback and that the design of the car does not allow for it, I think some folks are just a little exhausted at going over it again, and kind of incredulous that this is still a thing.

I hadn't seen those messages, haven't been on the board in months... Just been waiting patiently for real information to come out then I hopped on yesterday. I apologize for not seeing the hatchback comments ad nauseum as you apparently have.

Reactions: garsh
Well, if the car came off the production assembly line, has a production VIN, Elon pays for the car himself as a customer, and he registers the car at DMV for "regular" license plates, I guess it qualifies as a production car.
Did he order it through the "production process" using the online configurator, dealt with his OA, DS, etc? Is he going to be servicing it at a a local service center to experience the production process? He ought to experience the full production experience, not just the VIN number and license plate (since there doesn't appear to be a place to put the front plate on). ;)

If FF or any other manufacturer was to deliver the first and only production car to their founder and CEO, nobody would say that the "car is in production".

If FF or any other manufacturer was to deliver the first and only production car to their founder and CEO, nobody would say that the "car is in production".
FF claimed their prototype was the quickest 0-60 production car during the last CES. They also just laid claim to having the fastest time for a Pike's Peak run in a production EV, again in a prototype. So, if the FF91 prototype can lay claim to being "production", then certainly the first Model 3 off the production line is more than justified in being called a production car. Oh, BTW, that FF91 will likely never go into production now that the company has decided to halt construction of their Nevada factory and go into "user-ship personal mobility" instead. Meanwhile, we'll see ~30 more Model 3s join SN1 in a couple of weeks as production cars, and ramping up in the following months to the hundreds and then thousands.

Reactions: JRP3