Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi do you guys think the tax credit will affect the resale value of a model3 if my son wants to sell or trade up?
@chexy For the Model 3 RWD (base model), I would expect yes, because I expect many buyers of it fall under the income eligibility limits. However that will be tempered by the long wait times for ordering a new one! There seem to be many car buyers who just can't wait for a new car, and therefore pay as much or more for a lightly used one as a brand new one.

Eventually I expect the order backlog to shrink significantly. When that happens, if the base Model 3 is still eligible for the tax credit, I expect that credit to get largely priced into used values, in addition to normal used car depreciation. The income limits wil throw that off a bit but again I suspect a large portion of the base Model 3 buyers will quality.

@chexy For the Model 3 RWD (base model), I would expect yes, because I expect many buyers of it fall under the income eligibility limits. However that will be tempered by the long wait times for ordering a new one! There seem to be many car buyers who just can't wait for a new car, and therefore pay as much or more for a lightly used one as a brand new one.

Eventually I expect the order backlog to shrink significantly. When that happens, if the base Model 3 is still eligible for the tax credit, I expect that credit to get largely priced into used values, in addition to normal used car depreciation. The income limits wil throw that off a bit but again I suspect a large portion of the base Model 3 buyers will quality.
hi i am advising my young son who is picking up a base model 3 next week then might sell it. I am concerned he will lose money due the tax credit please advise how I should advise him thanks

The way I look at this: I’m happy with our Tesla’s. I’m glad we got them this year. I absolutely love to drive mine and it still brings a smile to my face when I do. My wife likes hers a lot as well and I like that it costs us only $8-10 to charge hers since it’s her daily driver.

Reactions: house9
@chexy How soon is he likely to sell it? What situation is he in where he needs a car but will have to sell it soon after buying it?
The way I look at this: I’m happy with our Tesla’s. I’m glad we got them this year. I absolutely love to drive mine and it still brings a smile to my face when I do. My wife likes hers a lot as well and I like that it costs us only $8-10 to charge hers since it’s her daily driver.

I might be crazy but I’m taking my RWD M3 this year. I don’t really care about potentially leaving $7500 or even $3750 on the table.
I just talked to my wife about the same thing. I do not want to table my order to MAYBE receive a tax credit/rebate. If I was 100% guaranteed the full 7500, then maybe. But this is the car I've dreamed of having since 2018 and I'm not letting that get in the way of it. She agreed.

I just talked to my wife about the same thing. I do not want to table my order to MAYBE receive a tax credit/rebate. If I was 100% guaranteed the full 7500, then maybe. But this is the car I've dreamed of having since 2018 and I'm not letting that get in the way of it. She agreed.
Cool, we’re on the same page I think then. Yeah, I’ve wanted a Tesla for so long now and I was finally able to do it by selling my BMW X1 for more than I paid for it and borrowing my grandma’s car in the meantime. I’m not driving this 2007 Civic for longer than I have to 😂
I’m kind of hoping people cancel their orders so I get bumped up even sooner. I ordered in July and EDD is Oct/Nov currently.

Reactions: pipestem
btw, I have an possible alternative reality. Main volume competitors for Tesla are foreign - BMW, Mercedes, Kia and Hyndai [?], .... Lucid and Rivian are US but very low volume. Ford batteries are Chinese sourced. The Bolt ? nah. The foreigners are losing their tax credit. Maybe there is no incentive for Tesla to close the gaps on the credit. It will be interesting.

Tesla is not holding.
That's strange - I just spoke with a Tesla Rep out of Las Vegas yesterday and he said that when we get assigned a VIN, we just need to tell them we can't take delivery until after January 1st. Not sure I trust that though. Current delivery date for my hubby's Model 3 is November 6th - December 18th. We keep playing around with the configuration to bump out the date.

That's strange - I just spoke with a Tesla Rep out of Las Vegas yesterday and he said that when we get assigned a VIN, we just need to tell them we can't take delivery until after January 1st. Not sure I trust that though. Current delivery date for my hubby's Model 3 is November 6th - December 18th. We keep playing around with the configuration to bump out the date.
Give it a try when you get a VIN. Let me know what they say.