Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt it will run Steam just because it has HW4. It'd be announced in the release notes of a software update as it'd have to be added to the 3/Y code.
HW4 itself has nothing to do with Steam. I mention it, because Model X cars with HW4 also have a different MCU (still unnamed?) in comparison with previous cars (e.g. MCUZ). Unfortunately so far I haven't seen confirmation about what's inside Model Y cars with HW4...

From what I read - to run Steam you need the discrete Radeon GPU.
- MCUZ in Model S/X - has daughterboard with discrete Radeon GPU
- MCUZ in Model 3/Y - doesn't have the daughterboard (except for some of the first units manufactured). Can that be purchased and installed as upgrade?
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model S/X - has discrete Radeon GPU chip soldered on the main MCU board
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model 3/Y - ???

HW4 itself has nothing to do with Steam. I mention it, because Model X cars with HW4 also have a different MCU (still unnamed?) in comparison with previous cars (e.g. MCUZ). Unfortunately so far I haven't seen confirmation about what's inside Model Y cars with HW4...

From what I read - to run Steam you need the discrete Radeon GPU.
- MCUZ in Model S/X - has daughterboard with discrete Radeon GPU
- MCUZ in Model 3/Y - doesn't have the daughterboard (except for some of the first units manufactured). Can that be purchased and installed as upgrade?
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model S/X - has discrete Radeon GPU chip soldered on the main MCU board
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model 3/Y - ???
Good summary of what we know and don't know. Need someone to teardown a 3/Y HW4 computer and MCU.

Also really interested in HW4 Model Y with the new radar... will that ever be a thing.

I’m thinking of trading in my 2019 dual motor model 3 for a new dual motor model Y. I would only do this if I absolutely get HW4. I don’t want to have to refuse delivery, etc. Are we still playing this game if I order today? And if the game is still on, is this a process I can manage relatively easily? I really don’t want to have to refuse delivery!
The game is not still on. All cars out of Fremont and Austin have the new HW4 cameras.
According to the Reddit thread they switched at A130XXX and F798XXX. That happened back in May/Jun. Fremont earlier.
So unless you are really unlucky and get matched a VIN from some abandoned car on a lot somewhere you will have HW4.

The game is not still on. All cars out of Fremont and Austin have the new HW4 cameras.
According to the Reddit thread they switched at A130XXX and F798XXX. That happened back in May/Jun. Fremont earlier.
So unless you are really unlucky and get matched a VIN from some abandoned car on a lot somewhere you will have HW4.

Adding to the confusion:) - are there newer motors for Austin? Or Fremont as well

My first msg to the forum; I picked up MY LR last week (an exciting but chaotic experience at quarter-ending Tesla ). I called Tesla Cust Srvc phone, and the [sales] guy said I had HW4 on the vehicle. Is there any way for me to confirm that my MY has HW4 installed? From the message above, it sounds like one can confirm from VIN #, but I am unsure what and where to look for [in VIN]. It's built in Fremont.

My first msg to the forum; I picked up MY LR last week (an exciting but chaotic experience at quarter-ending Tesla ). I called Tesla Cust Srvc phone, and the [sales] guy said I had HW4 on the vehicle. Is there any way for me to confirm that my MY has HW4 installed? From the message above, it sounds like one can confirm from VIN #, but I am unsure what and where to look for [in VIN]. It's built in Fremont.
simply compare the last 6 digits of your VIN, greater than 798000 given that you have a Fremont VIN, then you have HW4

I can’t believe your SAs are responsive via text. I’ve tried communicating with them via the original texts I was sent after purchase - which state “Reply to this message at any time and a Tesla Advisor will respond as soon as possible." Crickets. Zero response to any texts that I’ve sent. I’ve had to drive to the dealer to get answers (Tesla Peabody, MA).
I laughed when I read where you bought your car.
Peabody is terrible. Sales, terrible. Registration, terrible. Service, terrible. Avoid at all costs. I'm bringing my 23 MYLR to Dedham on Friday for a 3rd service appointment because Peabody refuses to help.

I laughed when I read where you bought your car.
Peabody is terrible. Sales, terrible. Registration, terrible. Service, terrible. Avoid at all costs. I'm bringing my 23 MYLR to Dedham on Friday for a 3rd service appointment because Peabody refuses to help.
I knew going in that Peabody was poorly rated. Beyond the unresponsiveness via text, they got the rest right. Good test drive experience, good delivery day experience. I am going in tomorrow to have them address some very minor paint damage that was identified by them during delivery - a very very small chip. I'm debating even bothering.

What's wrong with your MYLR that they cannot resolve?

Have you tried the Tesla Service Center in Watertown?

Took my MY in for some minor service today; the rear hatch has needed to be adjusted since delivery in May. I had the opportunity to speak to a service manager while I waited who said the MY HW4 included a radar; now I take this with a huge grain of salt since the service center staff is often left in the dark by the Tesla corporate overlords who horde information. Speaking specifically about the new S and X he did mention that the radar wasn’t enabled and that they were doing radar deletes on the Palladium models. I hadn’t even heard of Palladium til I google it, but I thought it was interesting that he was so matter of fact about removing the radars.

below is a pic sourced from online. left is HW3 and right is HW4. HW4 cameras will have red tint on the lens
1688723496648.png

If you observe the pics closely the surrounding bit of HW3 camera lens protrudes out . this is opposite on the HW4 camera where it is more or less recessed. And also the HW4 camera lens have large ring around it.
The turn signal section also is completely different. The HW3 has the whole top section transparent, the HW4 only has a small sliver. These details are much easier to see than trying to judge based on red tint.