Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just a guess of course, but I believe the IRS will indicate the full $7500 rebate will remain intact...minimally for a few more months and potentially for the rest of the year. I also believe Tesla already knows this as it may have, ahem, "come up" during the meeting Elon had in Washington. Once the full $7500 is secured, they may feel the freedom to hike prices accordingly. If they announce any "new equipment" (HW 4, etc.) they could use that as justification - although we haven't seen any evidence of changes to Y any time soon. On the low end I might guess another $1000 in hikes in March...on the high end, $4000. As you point out, the macro environment is likely the biggest factor in play here...especially with the hotter CPI, PPI and jobs numbers...all potentially leading to more/larger rate hikes.
I personally hope they stop with incentives. Besides the Govt. giving away more tax payer money furthering the debt, it will help keep true market pricing on vehicles. That’s just my opinion.

What's the difference between an Austin Model Y and a Fremont Model Y as of today? I am located in CA, but my Model Y being delivered next week was built in Austin
Assuming you're getting a MYLR*, I think the only current difference is that the Austin car may come with a package shelf in the rear. Not sure the Fremont cars have that yet.

*Unless Tesla reached out to you regarding getting the 'MY AWD', which is what they are calling the 4680-battery car, you're getting a 2170-battery MYLR.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and SSB99
Yeah, we need to keep giving tax money to oil companies and the defense dept instead of citizens, rather than promoting policy to help clean up the environment.
No, the Govt. needs to stop trying to pick winners and losers. We definitely need a strong defense but that’s also over inflated and could use some money pulled back. The Govt. sucks at almost everything when it comes to spending someone else’s money. You can’t have a true capitalist market if Govt. throws its weight around. They hurt businesses more then they help.

I thought the government was there for the benefit of the people. You know, “we the people” and all that. So maybe the people should be the winners, but it rarely works that way.
What does incentives and rebates to some and not all have anything to do with “We the People”. Taking from the many to give to the few has nothing to do with a Republic. Giving rebates to buy $80k has nothing to do with the Constitution. Not everyone wants EVs, or those who don’t quality or those you can’t afford an ev have their hard earned tax dollars wasted on yet another incentive they helps the few? Battery manufacturing isn’t without its own environmental issues. If people truly wanted to help the environment, take a bus, train and or ride a bike.

What's the difference between an Austin Model Y and a Fremont Model Y as of today? I am located in CA, but my Model Y being delivered next week was built in Austin
Currently Fremont cars have been shipping with the Global aka Matrix headlights and the Austin cars are using the Premium aka non-matrix headlights. Both factories provide cargo covers now. Austin has a more modern paint shop but I've seen no one compare them. Build quality is a toss up...you read good and bad coming out of both factories. Austin doors are harder to close but loosen up over time...not sure why this is?

Reactions: Mr_Joe and SSB99
I'll be taking delivery tomorrow and initially I considered rejecting the VIN and wait for investor day, but come to think about it even if they announce HW4 in March it's unlikely to come to Y/3 in a month, since I need a car before the end of April there is really no reason to wait. I don't care about a faster FSD computer but additional camera and radar is definitely nice to have.

Reactions: WyoDude and Mr_Joe
My guess is HW4 will be able to actually achieve FSD. They've learned a lot from HW3 and have adjusted cameras and locations of sensors.

Personally, I dont care about FSD, I love driving. I just want the car to drive itself for long stints on the highway and in stop and go (which current, basic AP does well with). My only complaint is all the nagging. I have a Prius Prime with OpenPilot and it will drive in stop and go forever with out a single nag. So relaxing...

All that said, I wouldnt hold off on buying a car for HW4, but its a personal decision. I think theres a near 0 chance of a retrofit becoming available from Tesla, and even if someone frankenstiened together one (which I'd imagine is possible with enough money and time) it would be easier/cheaper to just sell your HW3 car and buy one with HW4.

I'll be taking delivery tomorrow and initially I considered rejecting the VIN and wait for investor day, but come to think about it even if they announce HW4 in March it's unlikely to come to Y/3 in a month, since I need a car before the end of April there is really no reason to wait. I don't care about a faster FSD computer but additional camera and radar is definitely nice to have.

I am in the same boat. My 2 week EDD started today (no VIN yet). I am going back and forth and wish we knew more. i would wait 6 months, but more than that is a stretch. I also would be giving up the steep price cut as I assume the price will keep inching upwards. on the other hand I'd love to have hw4 and no worry about obsolescence as a fsd subscriber. decisions decisions

Reactions: Mr_Joe and tm3lrawd
What would be the difference in weather stripping?

What’s wrong with the battery?
On mine you really got to close the door hard to get a secure close, not overly hard, but its harder then I think should be to make it close and the car detect it as closed. My battery would not charge except with supercharging and needed a complete replacement after 500 miles.

Reactions: WyoDude
What’s the current thinking on when MY deliveries are going to be equipped with HW4. Saw somewhere @greentheonly said “likely” June 2023 would be equipped. Anything sooner from what folks are seeing/reading?
Who knows. Hoping March 1st will give a better idea. It will be really interesting how they transition if it really includes all the hardware changes that are being speculated.

Guys, consider this, we've seen the Highland cars with camo front and rear for how many months now? And Giga Shanghai has just started line upgrades to probably produce the cars in the second half of the year. We haven't seen anything on the MY yet and likely will see camouflaged test vehicles or mules months before production, and also drastic changes like HW4 will require production stoppage for modifications, given these facts the chance that we can see MY transition to HW4 before M3 Highland is extremely low.