Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not clear to me either. I've followed several threads on the X forum and there have been people claiming they have the new cameras and HW4 but no "Phoenix" radar. This is weird to me.
Yeah, i would imagine that it would be possible to retrofit the radar, but that would depend on what Tesla allows as it would probably need to be enabled in the software.

One possible explanation could be, that they do not have "unlimited" amounts of radar's so they will retrofit it to any car that the owner buys the FSD package for.

But why they would at all need to retrofit or fit the radar in the first place is also a bit of a mystery, they claim they can make the cars FSD with just vision, so what the radar is needed for, i dont know.

I'm considering getting a Model Y AWD but not sure if I should wait till the HW4 version arrives. There is no shortage of new inventory in my area. I also do not need the Y right away. It will be a second vehicle, but become my primary drive. I've been waiting for HW4, but now I read that Tesla may be disabling the new HD Radar that comes with HW4 sticking with Tesla Vision. If true I'm curious if its worth waiting however long for HW4.

Also how do I identify a Tesla Y that has giga-press. I may go to see the available vechiles this weekend.

Tesla has committed to Tesla Vision but there are rumors they could add a new front bumper camera. I’ve heard the processing power of HW 4 isn’t that significant compared to HW 3 and FSD will already run on the current hardware. With the lower price now plus tax rebate, I jumped in to buy another MYP (bought my wife one last month). I reckon prices will go back up next year with a new model and stronger economy.

Hansshow hautopart .com sells heads up display / screens and some include with a front bumper camera. There are plenty of 15% discount codes out there. Just search on You tube for install videos and they give their discount code to use.

checked - there is nothing for “front bumper camera” or anything close. Only rear view mirror/camera.

It will be a big deal if there is anything that is non hideous and practical for daily use.

Hoping others with more recent info can chime in. Thanks!

checked - there is nothing for “front bumper camera” or anything close. Only rear view mirror/camera.

It will be a big deal if there is anything that is non hideous and practical for daily use.

Hoping others with more recent info can chime in. Thanks!
there is a forward facing camera located at the top of the windshield, integrated into the rearview mirror assembly..

I'm considering getting a Model Y AWD but not sure if I should wait till the HW4 version arrives. There is no shortage of new inventory in my area. I also do not need the Y right away. It will be a second vehicle, but become my primary drive. I've been waiting for HW4, but now I read that Tesla may be disabling the new HD Radar that comes with HW4 sticking with Tesla Vision. If true I'm curious if its worth waiting however long for HW4.

Also how do I identify a Tesla Y that has giga-press. I may go to see the available vechiles this weekend.
you may want to re-think it.
is MY-AWD range reduction vs MYLR worth the price benefit?

Tesla has committed to Tesla Vision but there are rumors they could add a new front bumper camera. I’ve heard the processing power of HW 4 isn’t that significant compared to HW 3 and FSD will already run on the current hardware. With the lower price now plus tax rebate, I jumped in to buy another MYP (bought my wife one last month). I reckon prices will go back up next year with a new model and stronger economy.
I can definitely see a huge difference in the auto wipers. Hw4 auto wipers have been spot on, in fact, they have been indistinguishable from my 2016 with an actual rain sensor.

HW4 value potentisl is largely for those who want to also spend $$$ for EAP or FSD
otherwise the current HW3 seems to work just fine on all the Tesla cars

HW4 value potentisl is largely for those who want to also spend $$$ for EAP or FSD
otherwise the current HW3 seems to work just fine on all the Tesla cars
LOL...the current hardware is TERRIBLE since disabling radar. My Model Y used to work just fine in rain and fog, holding lanes and speed without incident on the highway. Since the absolutely awful "vision only" nonsense disabled my radar, I constantly get "Autopilot speed limited due to limited forward visibility" errors, and constant camera blocked messages, even in light rain. Often, Autopilot limits my speed to *40 MPH* on I-66 in Northern Virginia during mild rain. It's become a complete joke. Recently, I was in the Service Center for them to replace my window trim (which was decaying...lol), and almost 80% of the dozen or so people waiting in the lobby said they're all seeing the same thing. Even the customer service advisor said she has the same issues and recommends just not using Autopilot in the rain. It's a joke.

LOL...the current hardware is TERRIBLE since disabling radar. My Model Y used to work just fine in rain and fog, holding lanes and speed without incident on the highway. Since the absolutely awful "vision only" nonsense disabled my radar, I constantly get "Autopilot speed limited due to limited forward visibility" errors, and constant camera blocked messages, even in light rain. Often, Autopilot limits my speed to *40 MPH* on I-66 in Northern Virginia during mild rain. It's become a complete joke. Recently, I was in the Service Center for them to replace my window trim (which was decaying...lol), and almost 80% of the dozen or so people waiting in the lobby said they're all seeing the same thing. Even the customer service advisor said she has the same issues and recommends just not using Autopilot in the rain. It's a joke.
i have NONE of those issues.
2022 MYLR, HW3, and does have USS

It has to be the input that the software is interpreting then, hw4 wipers have been more like an actual rain sensor than in the 2.5 suite on the same day/same conditions.
its unlikely HW4 hardware has much effect on auto-wiper functionality.
its not a proc speed sensitive function
the cameras have improved resolution but that's not critically different for detecting rain.
its about the SW

its unlikely HW4 hardware has much effect on auto-wiper functionality.
its not a proc speed sensitive function
the cameras have improved resolution but that's not critically different for detecting rain.
its about the SW
Something is different. I have a hw1 with rain sensor, an hw2.5 with vision and a hw4 sitting in the same driveway at my house the hw1 and hw4 without question perform differently than the 2.5.