Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about Autopark? New Cameras? Birdview?
I’m not planning to use FSD that much but wanted to have all other Functions like Autopark, etc which are not working correctly in latest Models.
What benefits have Hardware 4.0 other than better FSD?

Hi,

My Delivery Date for Model Y is May 2023. Should I try to postpone Delivery Date and wait for Hardware 4.0? Is it worth it?
I’m not in rush of getting new Car. Wanted to get $7,500 Credit and now looks like Model Y still gets this Credit.
Unless you get FSD, I don't think it is too much of a difference. The only thing with HW 4 that I want is just the additional HD radar and possibly a front camera right underneath the frunk for additional view for Park Assist. In terms of computing power and all that....I don't think it will make too much of a difference if you are not getting FSD.

Plus we don't know know when Tesla plans to add HW 4.0 to its Model 3/Y fleet since they are in high production and would need downtime in order to reconfigure the production line for HW 4.0. I can't see HW 4.0 being added to MY until late 2023 or in 2024 especially with the ramp up of Cybertruck production which would eat up HW 4.0 availability.

Also in terms of April 18th, we don't know what the MY qualifies for. It could be $7500 or it could be $3750. BTW you can only postpone your car only 1 time for up to 2 weeks or less. You don't get unlimited postponements or else you give up the car. Tesla has been cracking down on that. So if you are adamant on postponing you will need to lose the $250 and pay that again.

I’m not planning to use FSD that much but wanted to have all other Functions like Autopark, etc which are not working correctly in latest Models.
I take it that you plan to buy FSD or EAP? Autopark is not a basic Autopilot feature. New cameras yes and possibly birds eye view. From what I have heard so far in terms of the chip being used...it is still the same Ryzen chip as before but it has more processing cores but that makes sense since you have more camera data to process and also with FSD the CPU will constant need to process new and upcoming information for decision making. Unless you are absolutely getting FSD, these are not necessary.

Radarless was supposed to eliminate phantom brakes but in my experience, it got immediately worse, not better.

HW4 has Phoenix radar. Hopefully, the phantom brakes will be reverted back to the previous radar configuration.

For Tesla cars that still have radars, FSD beta would render radar useless but FSD and below (EAP, Autopilot, TACC...) Still use radar.

What will be the difference in terms of Vehicle Capabilities (Example: Better Autopark Accuracy in Tesla Model Y with Hardware 4.0) between Tesla Model Y Long Range with Hardware 4.0 and Tesla Model Y Long Range with Hardware 3.0?
1. Working USS replacement? (with HW3 Tesla Vision can't correctly predict distance to un-tagged objects)
2. Better FSD
3. Safety
4. 360 View (Bird's eye)

Hi,

My Delivery Date for Model Y is May 2023. Should I try to postpone Delivery Date and wait for Hardware 4.0? Is it worth it?
I’m not in rush of getting new Car. Wanted to get $7,500 Credit and now looks like Model Y still gets this Credit.
Well

If you wait…the latest leaks from M3 speculated a dash screen. If that is true then Y might get it too.

Looking to order a Y LR in Sweden.
Should I wait for any updates or just go with it?

Will the introduction of the new hardware coming this year increase the price? How has it been in the past?
I've purchased two Tesla vehicles... First one I waited and waited on and got screwed. The other I pulled the trigger as soon as they announced the $7,500 rebate in late December and got screwed.

Lesson: Whether you buy now or buy later, you're screwed either way.

Seems reasonable to believe when the MY gets HW4, sometime after the M3 (Q3-2023?), there will also be better cameras if not more cameras and maybe HD radar. While that will make the most difference for those with FSD, it could also help with downstream features like parking, blind spot, and generally improve autopilot and EAP. All the functions are much quicker with HW4, I've seen some YT videos of a MX that showed a clear increase in screen response. And it should help with resale as well, I'd pass on a used MY with HW3 once HW4 on the MY. It's killing me to wait until Q4-2023 or Q1-2024 for my MYLR, but so far I've resisted the urge to buy NOW...

I’m waiting to take delivery of MYP, first Tesla for me. The one issue I see and don’t like is no front camera, and I mean front bumper that can see what is inches away from hitting something when parking. No guess work. Just about every car has this now. But the Tesla doesn’t so what aftermarket works with minimal invasive measures? I would do a monitor mounted on steering column solely for this.

I’m waiting to take delivery of MYP, first Tesla for me. The one issue I see and don’t like is no front camera, and I mean front bumper that can see what is inches away from hitting something when parking. No guess work. Just about every car has this now. But the Tesla doesn’t so what aftermarket works with minimal invasive measures? I would do a monitor mounted on steering column solely for this.
Great question - I’d love to know too
After market with minimal invasive measures - and hopefully puts Tesla to shame? Why can’t they add for 2020 and later that can support new front camera as a paid option

Reactions: OlyY
1. Working USS replacement? (with HW3 Tesla Vision can't correctly predict distance to un-tagged objects)
2. Better FSD
3. Safety
4. 360 View (Bird's eye)
HW3 with FSD Beta shows a rendered 360 view, but as of now a true 360 view isn't coming. There's no front camera and in cars with HW4, still no front camera.

The rendered version isn't bad, but it only randomly shows curbs or poles, which obviously isn't ideal.

Hansshow hautopart .com sells heads up display / screens and some include with a front bumper camera. There are plenty of 15% discount codes out there. Just search on You tube for install videos and they give their discount code to use.

Reactions: AJ..