Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different physical dimensions, different harness, and Tesla will not allow it. Even if you replace all the modules, harness, and cameras, it would require advanced level hacking for the car to accept the new hardware.
Gotcha. I appreciate the info and response. If I may indulge my denial/disappointment a bit — do we know with certainty Y upgrade path is not possible (confirmed by SA or engineering) or just based on teardown of X/S HW4? Just trying to figure out what is officially confirmed. I'd be surprised that Tesla would invest in a major retooling/redesign just for HW4. Thanks again.

Gotcha. I appreciate the info and response. If I may indulge my denial/disappointment a bit — do we know with certainty Y upgrade path is not possible (confirmed by SA or engineering) or just based on teardown of X/S HW4? Just trying to figure out what is officially confirmed. I'd be surprised that Tesla would invest in a major retooling/redesign just for HW4. Thanks again.
Elon himself said it on the earnings call. Elon Musk kills hope of Tesla retrofitting new Autopilot/Self-Driving hardware

USS were removed. There should still be GPS at least. And I’m curious to see if it has the radar back. The model X and S with HW 4 has radar back. This is what my 2018 model s shows:

View attachment 941946
View attachment 941945
definitely no sensors for me just camera
Does anyone have a vin as high as PF789xxx yet?

I've found the VIN checker here will try and work out a build date from those letters (plus the model letter Y) and is showing a build date in June but we seem to have seen cars already from Fremont with HW4? In fairness, they do put a health warning on the results although my actual car was just about spot on

mine is PF791xxx

Hi guys,

Newbie here, I'm excited and have been waiting for my model Y LR delivery in June 14-23. I am hoping I can get a HW4 upgrade for the new car, however, I read about that if my VIN is < 789300 it seems I'll still get a HW3. I'm like so close 789020. What should I do? Can I refuse delivery and to get a HW4? Thanks for any advise.

Hi guys,

Newbie here, I'm excited and have been waiting for my model Y LR delivery in June 14-23. I am hoping I can get a HW4 upgrade for the new car, however, I read about that if my VIN is < 789300 it seems I'll still get a HW3. I'm like so close 789020. What should I do? Can I refuse delivery and to get a HW4? Thanks for any advise.
Text or call you SA to ask your car has the AP04 option code which is for HW4. If not, you can go ahead and refuse the VIN and they will put your order on hold and unassign your VIN. You'll have 14 days for the hold and can un-pause anytime. When you do, you'll be eligible for a new VIN.

I just did this today with my PF7893XX which was confirmed to have HW3.

Does anyone have a vin as high as PF789xxx yet?

I've found the VIN checker here will try and work out a build date from those letters (plus the model letter Y) and is showing a build date in June but we seem to have seen cars already from Fremont with HW4? In fairness, they do put a health warning on the results although my actual car was just about spot on

Hi. 7SAYGDEE9PF793968 is what I’ve just been allotted.

thanks to ask who’ve posted here… I’ve been following this discussion for a couple months now… ever since I booked in late April… Hope this information helps those in a similar boat.

i could not find the AH or AP code anywhere in page source. I’ll check again in a day or so. In the meantime, would it help to reach out to a sales advisor to get information on the build? Based on a number of the comments here that seems to be less than useful ;)

That Tesla VIN decoder posted on the previous page says my car is estimated to be built on June 17, but the service advisor through text shows my car arriving at the Kansas City location on June 4th.

Has anyone found this decoder to be accurate at all, especially over a Tesla service advisor?

My MYP VIN is 7902xx.

That Tesla VIN decoder posted on the previous page says my car is estimated to be built on June 17, but the service advisor through text shows my car arriving at the Kansas City location on June 4th.

Has anyone found this decoder to be accurate at all, especially over a Tesla service advisor?

My MYP VIN is 7902xx.
I don't think it is a very reliable especially when Tesla ramps up/down the production, which they did recently.
Question - was your SA able to conform or deny if you are getting a HW4?

I’m still super annoyed that my MYP 2023 doesn’t have basic modern safety capabilities. I’m 100% certain that my car would plow right over a child that darted out. Whereas my 2020 BMW M550 would stop like a mental patient. I feel safer knowing that Hyundai and Kia drivers have working preventative safety equipment. They would be less likely to hit me. Sad.

I don't think it is a very reliable especially when Tesla ramps up/down the production, which they did recently.
Question - was your SA able to conform or deny if you are getting a HW4?

I honestly haven't asked. From my observation based off many people quoting their SAs, it seems like many of them wouldn't recognize their own arse, so I figure I'll just wait and see.

Oy! I'm losing my mind that this Blue Y 7 White interior that I'm going to pick-up Thursday wont have HW4, but I can't really tell you why? lol. It has better cameras sure, but chatting with my buddy it does not have the new radar, and he would know. There's a Silver that's ETA is June 5th, with a build date of May 30th, but we were pretty set on Blue. Part of my brain says, buy the blue, it's not that big of a deal, you didn't buy the car because it has cameras. Part of my brain says, Yeah but cameras, NEWER cameras... :confused:🧐🫠