Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, would it be possible for any new Model Y HW4 owners to post the video specs of video from the new front camera (download a clip from dash cam)? I'd be grateful to find out the video resolution, frame rate, and bitrate. A clip or still would be a much appreciated bonus. Thanks so much for the consideration.

Hi All, would it be possible for any new Model Y HW4 owners to post the video specs of video from the new front camera (download a clip from dash cam)? I'd be grateful to find out the video resolution, frame rate, and bitrate. A clip or still would be a much appreciated bonus. Thanks so much for the consideration.
Its around here somewhere, not videos, but stills and resolution numbers for hw3 vs hw4 cameras on the model y. I recall that is was surprising how little difference their was. i.e. there was clarity improvement, but not as much as i anticipated. Many someone else has a link to that thread/post handy.

hope you can get hw4 finally after going through this. Would you mind share what is your configuration? I'm in the same boat...thanks
Original configuration was LR AWD, 7 seat, white exterior, white interior, tow hitch. No EAP/FSD. Most recently I changed the exterior color to blue and put the order on a hold to maximize my chances of HW4. I am going to ride the hold out no matter what this time; I'm in too deep at this point!

Original configuration was LR AWD, 7 seat, white exterior, white interior, tow hitch. No EAP/FSD. Most recently I changed the exterior color to blue and put the order on a hold to maximize my chances of HW4. I am going to ride the hold out no matter what this time; I'm in too deep at this point!
thanks for sharing and good luck! I hope you can finally get it having to go through all this...It sux...

I think that's why you kept getting VIN back. Unique config not selling.

I would have taken off tow hitch config and then just added after delivery (what I'm doing)

Reactions: CausalityT
I called to ask what my hardware version is, and they said they unmatched me and re-matched me with one from Austin. VIN 7SAYGDEE9PA######. The guy on the phone said he can't 'offically' tell me anything, but he thinks I 'will be happy' with what's on the car. Sounds like Austin is pumping out HW4 cars now

Reactions: CausalityT
Called SA for getting confirmation on HW4 - MYLR 5 Seater, White. SA says "their ability to see the HW config has been taken away" so he can't confirm. Anyone else had this experience? He said even the employees at the store will not be able to confirm. VIN assigned is PA137XXX. 5 mins after I hung up the phone, I get an 'Final Reminder' text to schedule delivery by 4 PM tomorrow or the order will be cancelled. Seems like its a HW3 vehicle and Tesla wants to push the sale. Thinking of not taking delivery as I have been waiting for HW4. Any suggestions?

Reactions: vickh
Called SA for getting confirmation on HW4 - MYLR 5 Seater, White. SA says "their ability to see the HW config has been taken away" so he can't confirm. Anyone else had this experience? He said even the employees at the store will not be able to confirm.
Yep HW3 and they don't want to be stuck with inventory

Called SA for getting confirmation on HW4 - MYLR 5 Seater, White. SA says "their ability to see the HW config has been taken away" so he can't confirm. Anyone else had this experience? He said even the employees at the store will not be able to confirm. VIN assigned is PA137XXX. 5 mins after I hung up the phone, I get an 'Final Reminder' text to schedule delivery by 4 PM tomorrow or the order will be cancelled. Seems like its a HW3 vehicle and Tesla wants to push the sale. Thinking of not taking delivery as I have been waiting for HW4. Any suggestions?
You can still refuse the delivery after you see the vehicle; you should be able to tell by looking at the cameras.

It looks like Austin VINs after PA131xxx are generally thought to have HW4. There is a Model Y subreddit where a volunteer is running VINs to confirm (link is a few pages upthread) but the Model Y subreddit is dark this week in protest of some new Reddit policy.

Last edited:
You should be save with PA137XXX, the subreddit confirmed Austin switched to HW4 fully after ~PA130