Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, it looks like the new Tesla Model Ys with hardware 4 are now coming with 8gb ram and 128gb storage for the infotainment system. However, hardware 3 model Ys used to come with double that, at 256gb storage and 16gb ram.

What are the consequences of having less ran and storage? As the Tesla ages (3-4 years) and as there are more and more software updates, will the infotainment system become really laggy and slow due to the smaller ram?

Hello, it looks like the new Tesla Model Ys with hardware 4 are now coming with 8gb ram and 128gb storage for the infotainment system. However, hardware 3 model Ys used to come with double that, at 256gb storage and 16gb ram.

What are the consequences of having less ran and storage? As the Tesla ages (3-4 years) and as there are more and more software updates, will the infotainment system become really laggy and slow due to the smaller ram?
I don’t think anyone knows the answer but the reduction in RAM and Storage is almost definitely due to cost reductions. However, it is possible that the Ys and 3s don’t need the extra RAM and Storage for their infotainment system as they lack features like dual screens. I think it is a combination of both

Long term implications? Who knows. It would be helpful if Tesla/Elon told us the reason, but would you actually believe them/him?

I recently took delivery of MY SR built in Berlin.

It comes with HW3 and my first impressions on the cameras is not very good (the repeater cameras have no lens cover and the colors are not accurate - yellowish hue). So reading that HW4 has better cameras and come with a lens cover is actually very good.

The ram, storage may not be very important. It's a bit like Apple - they don't share, not care about the rams in the iPhone because the software is designed to support whatever ram is in the phone. I guess its the same with Tesla, they must be confident that HW4 ram / storage support whatever Tesla software will evolve to do.

I just wished that factories outside the US would have made the switch earlier to HW4.

I am trading in my 2019 M3 on Tuesday for a HW4 MY, and transferring my FSD. I'm doing this to get a bigger car, and to beef up the tech to take me into the next 4-6 years. The ability to transfer the FSD, along with the tax incentives is what pushed me over the edge. But just last night I was reading about how HW4 has less RAM, less storage and might be 6 months away, at least, from FSD beta firmware. I just *assumed* (stupid me) that HW4 was better. The firmware issue was known and expected, but I didn't know it could be half a year or longer to resolve. Not psyched about that. And having half the RAM and storage, do we have any idea if this will negatively affect the car vs. my current 2019 M3 with Intel infotainment? I know FSD and infotainment computers are different. But I'm really concerned that, along with the loss of USS, I'm going to be kicking myself: no gain from HW4 (actually a downgrade in significant ways), no FSD software for a 1/8th of the car's expected life (with me), and...what else? Is this a stupid decision? Is HW4 just better cameras with no software to take advantage of them? Is HW4 just marketing to make people like me buy a new Tesla?

Maybe asked another way: How will HW4 actually benefit me?

I am trading in my 2019 M3 on Tuesday for a HW4 MY, and transferring my FSD. I'm doing this to get a bigger car, and to beef up the tech to take me into the next 4-6 years. The ability to transfer the FSD, along with the tax incentives is what pushed me over the edge. But just last night I was reading about how HW4 has less RAM, less storage and might be 6 months away, at least, from FSD beta firmware. I just *assumed* (stupid me) that HW4 was better. The firmware issue was known and expected, but I didn't know it could be half a year or longer to resolve. Not psyched about that. And having half the RAM and storage, do we have any idea if this will negatively affect the car vs. my current 2019 M3 with Intel infotainment?
It has half the RAM and Storage of Ryzen HW3 Model 3/Y, not Intel! If you are coming from an Intel, that had 64GB of eMMC (unknown ram) vs 128GB even for these "half storage" HW4 Model Ys.

It's still going to be a jump in capability vs the Intel models for the infotainment portion.
I know FSD and infotainment computers are different. But I'm really concerned that, along with the loss of USS, I'm going to be kicking myself: no gain from HW4 (actually a downgrade in significant ways), no FSD software for a 1/8th of the car's expected life (with me), and...what else? Is this a stupid decision? Is HW4 just better cameras with no software to take advantage of them? Is HW4 just marketing to make people like me buy a new Tesla?

At the moment, much better cameras (visible when using dashcam). For infotainment vs Intel, you get the Ryzen. It makes sense Tesla continues to develop for the lowest common denominator (HW3), so HW4 is unlikely to see significant departure for the foreseeable future.

I am trading in my 2019 M3 on Tuesday for a HW4 MY, and transferring my FSD. I'm doing this to get a bigger car, and to beef up the tech to take me into the next 4-6 years. The ability to transfer the FSD, along with the tax incentives is what pushed me over the edge. But just last night I was reading about how HW4 has less RAM, less storage and might be 6 months away, at least, from FSD beta firmware. I just *assumed* (stupid me) that HW4 was better. The firmware issue was known and expected, but I didn't know it could be half a year or longer to resolve. Not psyched about that. And having half the RAM and storage, do we have any idea if this will negatively affect the car vs. my current 2019 M3 with Intel infotainment? I know FSD and infotainment computers are different. But I'm really concerned that, along with the loss of USS, I'm going to be kicking myself: no gain from HW4 (actually a downgrade in significant ways), no FSD software for a 1/8th of the car's expected life (with me), and...what else? Is this a stupid decision? Is HW4 just better cameras with no software to take advantage of them? Is HW4 just marketing to make people like me buy a new Tesla?

You've probably read the recent news, but if not, I'm happy to share that HW4 cars started getting the FSD beta update a day or so ago.

Regarding the reduction of RAM and storage in the new HW4 infotainment computer, I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. Tesla knows customers are keeping these cars for years, and it seems unlikely they'd create unnecessary headaches by offering an architecture that won't hold up in the near term.

And now, our 2023 USS-less Model Y’s are obsolete. I don’t mind the great highland updates that will likely make it onto the Y, with the exception of the front bumper camera. How could they remove USS and push out such a half-baked (if that) vision based parking assist feature? With the bumper camera release, I have a feeling the USS-less bumper camera-less cars gonna be stuck in this crappy state. This is gonna lead to a lawsuit

Reactions: jbrady3324
And now, our 2023 USS-less Model Y’s are obsolete. I don’t mind the great highland updates that will likely make it onto the Y, with the exception of the front bumper camera. How could they remove USS and push out such a half-baked (if that) vision based parking assist feature? With the bumper camera release, I have a feeling the USS-less bumper camera-less cars gonna be stuck in this crappy state. This is gonna lead to a lawsuit
This was my biggest fear and it clearly is going to be true. Just watch when they release S/X with front camera in Q1.

Reactions: jecsun
Has the front bumper camera been confirmed on the refresh?

Can anyone confirm? There was a post on the Northeast Tesla Owners FB Group, that said a service center replaced their defective rear HW3 camera with a HW4 camera. It sounded like a straight swap... I can't for the life of me find the PNs on the Tesla Parts site though.

So, I took delivery of a 2023 MYLR on 30-Aug. Definitely has HW4 guts. current SW on it is 2023.20.200.

According to "notateslaapp" website, that ver was released Aug 5.
But this site also shows version trains 2023.26.xx, 2023.32.xx, etc.
What determines what secondary version (26, 32, 20, etc.) is available on a given model?
Ie., why do I have what I have, and not 2023.26.100, for example?

I assume there is no way to "force" any particular release or sub-release. You just tell the car to check and it lets you know if something is waiting for install.