Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it sales are down due to high interest rates and inflation. The US government basically disqualifies the model Y which is it's top seller and this may have something to do with Biden's ongoing refusal to acknowledge Tesla. Only makes perfect economic sense to fight back at a grim outlook by lowering the price. I agree it's pretty hefty but what else would one do to get things back on track in these unpredictable times? Seems like the US government set the price required by Tesla to take advantage of the tax credit. I totally understand some are pissed off after purchasing one lately at the higher price but to say you will look elsewhere in the future is simply a short lived revenge trip. For every pissed off customer right now there are literally hundreds that will buy and be tickled pink by the new prices. Teslas sales will skyrocket and cause major headaches for the competition who are struggling to say the least. In the end I do believe the move was a very smart one and will really pay off for Tesla in no time at all.

Tesla is probably the only car company that can deliver today in a relatively short period of time and now with the new lowered price, it becomes competitive with several alternatives all which I may add have a couple of years delivery time with no guarantees on those dates or prices. Mark my words, Tesla will really outsell everything EV globally in 2023 with this strategic move.

Last edited:
I totally understand some are pissed off after purchasing one lately at the higher price but to say you will look elsewhere in the future is simply a short lived revenge trip
A wise man once said:

"Screw me once, shame on... Shame on me... Screw... A screwed can't get screwed again."

Also, with every day that passes where I don't get the features I missed out on due to no USS, is a day that further justifies this as my last Tesla. At least make due on the evidently overpriced vehicle I expected.

Last edited:
Reality kicking in. Mercedes, BMW and Ford (and others) are catching up very quickly. I love many things about my Tesla but they simply are not the only game in town for EVs anymore. Their battery technology is still superior to others - for now. The supercharger network is a huge advantage - for now.

I’m still bullish on Tesla’s future prospects however Musk needs to STFU and stop being such a liability, and Tesla needs to do much better at fixing their reputation for overpromising / under-delivering.

They need to get Cybertruck out ASAP. Ford is eating their lunch right now in the electric light truck market because Elon ran his mouth about how wonderful Cybertruck would be - three years ago. As of today there’s still not a single production Cybertruck in existence. The new Roadster is a joke. $250,000 for maybe vapor? I’m skeptical at this point that it’ll ever come to reality as the economy craters and we slide into an era of stagflation. There aren’t many rich people willing to throw $250,000 on a science fair project, and Tesla probably doesn’t have the resources to really push it and remain competitive in their other, money-making sectors. IMO they should kill that project immediately, cool and fun as it is.

Then there’s autonomous driving. Mercedes is the new leader. Tesla is getting left in the dust here. “Tesla Vision” is a complete mistake. Perhaps they can recapture the throne as the autonomous driving leader, but I doubt it. Mercedes has Level 3 working well and reliably now, today. Tesla is probably a good 2-3 years away if they’re lucky, if they abandon Tesla Vision as the “path forward” (which it’s not) and Musk’s ego and stupid antics don’t get in the way. I recently got a “boring” Toyota Camry as a rental on a business trip but found its version of autopilot (adaptive cruise control plus lane-hold auto steer) to be really, really good. It didn’t have the cool screen visualization that my Tesla has, but it worked reliably, didn’t do anything too dumb / unpredictable while I was using it (had a little difficulty in one location identifying an off-ramp). It’s wasn’t nearly as naggy about telling me to keep my hands on the wheel (and when it did, I literally had to just tap it with my finger to make the message go away) and was quite easy to trust. So once again, that which formerly only belonged to Tesla no longer does.

On a positive note, Semi looks great and can potentially be a game changer for that industry. That’s a big milestone. Cybertruck will be huge if they can ever get it out. Every week that slips is a colossal embarrassment, more angry customers seething in line, more sales going to electric F150s and the like.

Plaid is cool but nobody is buying them. $160k for a luxury sedan is just not a big market. I think the days of the flagship “S” are numbered, unfortunately. The battleground is in mid-size, affordable cars, SUVs and light trucks. Tesla would do well to exploring a hot hatch, lower cost model too - something that’d compete with the likes of the STIs out there. Electric performance would be amazing and it could very well dominate that market - but could they get something in production in less than 5-10 years? I’m sure the major automakers are well along with something in mind to attack that market already…

So is Tesla done? No. They’re still solid, make great stuff and are selling like mad. But they’re no longer the only player in the EV world, they’re not even going to be top dog in the EV world for too much longer, but they do have some amazing things out with a couple more coming. Models 3 and Y will still do very well. Cybertruck will be big. But we are also careening towards a recession and anti-EV hate out there is still high. Many people see a push by government to force them into EVs and are being passive-aggressive. It’s not a good time to be making durable goods. But Tesla will endure and continue to be a force to be reckoned with, and a major innovator.

This signals to me a material drop in demand. Likely several reasons such as EV growth by competitors, economic climate, and possibly even Elon’s lack of focus / crazy antics.

Shareholders might not be happy, not to mention the equity lost by customers.

Also side note, I was one of the people that said prices would never go backwards. Not only did they fall, but they dropped a lot. Wow, was I wrong.

This signals to me a material drop in demand.

Taking into account the end of year discounts to push units you may be right. They were operating on a near 30% margin Apple style. Whereas the vast majority of auto manufacturers are in the 5-10% margin range, some even less. Looks to me like they went to a flat 20% margin on all trims, a preemptive strike. They have their warchest built, the machine is running ... here we go!

Also, with every day that passes where I don't get the features I missed out on due to no USS, is a day that further justifies this as my last Tesla.
I agree, Tesla is really not doing this correctly. USS should only be removed once vision is fully implemented and operational. To take away a feature with a promise of a somewhere down the road fix is not going to make customers happy.

Reactions: Choncho and Daekwan
Well FML. I just took delivery earlier today at noon of my MYLR and I see this price drop a few hours later. What a dampener on that new car feeling... I feel so f*cked over. 😞
Pretty much the same boat. Took delivery on Saturday on an order I placed last June. Then it’s been at the service center for paint defects bhavent even driven it 50 miles yet.

demand dropped off a cliff. Tesla had to make a major move to change course. I paid 63k for my P model and now its 56. Used values will tank for sure now! Used prices should come down A LOT in the next month or two. The lowest price MY within 150 miles of me was 45k and it was a std range. Now you can get a LR brand new for 45k after the tax credit!

Reactions: Falcon73
wow.. prices are over $10,000 less than what they were selling for at year end. MYP is now $56,990. It was at $72,000 just a couple weeks ago without the $7,500 incentive.
Anyone guess what's going on?
Price of MG 4 in UK is £24 Tesla 3 £43, price BYD Atto 3 in New Zealand & Australia about £30... so smart to wait for BYD after reading motoring journalists evaluations. Tesla suffering from high $ and China post Co-vid exports. Future for Tesla? - read the history of Ford.

Reactions: Falcon73
In 2022, under the old pricing, Tesla, in the US, outsold BMW (the most popular luxury automobile brand * in the US) by ~160k vehicles. Considering the new $13k lower prices on the Tesla Model 3, Model Y Tesla should be able to widen their sales lead considerably.

* Note that Tesla is not a luxury automobile in the traditional sense, only considering the price segment.

Reactions: VegasMYP and zpaul