Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should have priced their cars accordingly from the get go.
They're not the first ones to be burned by market changes. No other manufacturer I can think of has gone out and knowingly screwed their current customers to recoup their losses or retain market share. They took the short term hit for the long term gain.

Seeing as most on this board think Tesla is the be all and end all of EV's, Elon shouldn't have had to drop his prices at all. If Tesla's are so much better and seeing as they make more profit per car than any other manufacturer, Tesla could have easily absorbed the short term loss and kept the current owners satisfied. Now they're going to lose customers because who wants a car with an unpredictable resale value.

All of this is Business 101.

There's no disputing that COVID and the used car market was a once in a lifetime occurrence but that has nothing to do with the recent price drops.
I don't think the Tesla fan boys and girls will agree and this will end in circular arguments. Nor do I think Tesla will care now that the stock price has recovered from the 120s - although it might be a good opportunity to buy some puts on the stock since there's so much volatility here just like their car prices.

Best thing to do is to never buy their cars again and don't recommend them to anyone else to impact their long-term bottom line from disregard for customers. EV market is maturing and there will be plenty of other options.

Also, the charging network argument is overrated - the whole point of owning an electric car is to charge at home at really cheap prices and not waste 40 minutes charging at a super charger at double the household price. If fast charging was the key success metric, plug-in hybrids or hydrogen will win the market because they have significantly faster energy delivery mechanisms.

These type of threads follow a familiar pattern, unusually ending up with the disgruntled reduced to “fanboy”, “fanboi”, comments or some variation thereof when others disagree. In this case, agree or not, you’ll have to come to terms with the fact you didn’t read the tea leaves correctly despite clear signs and willingly paid too much for a vehicle you now seem to loathe. Crying in your beer here won’t change that, nor will lashing out. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Reactions: ucmndd and WyoDude
These type of threads follow a familiar pattern, unusually ending up with the disgruntled reduced to “fanboy”, “fanboi”, comments or some variation thereof when others disagree. In this case, agree or not, you’ll have to come to terms with the fact you didn’t read the tea leaves correctly despite clear signs and willingly paid too much for a vehicle you now seem to loathe. Crying in your beer here won’t change that, nor will lashing out. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I agree actually - which is why the best thing to do for those affected is to never buy from them again and for prospective buyers to avoid Tesla if they care about customer service and being treated well. Actions need to have consequences. You only have yourself to blame for enabling this type of behavior in the future.

Also, the fact that you have to "read the tea leaves correctly" for buying a car when you don't for other manufacturers just show what a horrible experience it is. Don't shoot the messenger.

Reactions: Schnitz
Picked up December 15th and dealer said they would send a check for the $3,750 that was overpaid (paid in full before they announced original $3,750 December pickup credit).

Been 6 weeks and still nothing (they said 4 weeks), seeing if anyone else with December pick-ups has gotten it

I agree actually - which is why the best thing to do for those affected is to never buy from them again and for prospective buyers to avoid Tesla if they care about customer service and being treated well. Actions need to have consequences. You only have yourself to blame for enabling this type of behavior in the future.

Also, the fact that you have to "read the tea leaves correctly" for buying a car when you don't for other manufacturers just show what a horrible experience it is. Don't shoot the messenger.
There we go, guess we’re done here! 😜

• Funny
Reactions: tonyz1 and Schnitz
I don't think the Tesla fan boys and girls will agree and this will end in circular arguments. Nor do I think Tesla will care now that the stock price has recovered from the 120s - although it might be a good opportunity to buy some puts on the stock since there's so much volatility here just like their car prices.

Best thing to do is to never buy their cars again and don't recommend them to anyone else to impact their long-term bottom line from disregard for customers. EV market is maturing and there will be plenty of other options.

Also, the charging network argument is overrated - the whole point of owning an electric car is to charge at home at really cheap prices and not waste 40 minutes charging at a super charger at double the household price. If fast charging was the key success metric, plug-in hybrids or hydrogen will win the market because they have significantly faster energy delivery mechanisms.
I agree with you but I don't charge at home. I charge at work for free. Why pay to charge if you get free charging everyday?

Reactions: tonyz1
Picked up December 15th and dealer said they would send a check for the $3,750 that was overpaid (paid in full before they announced original $3,750 December pickup credit).

Been 6 weeks and still nothing (they said 4 weeks), seeing if anyone else with December pick-ups has gotten it

This person has:

I took delivery of a model Y in December (ordered in June before price went up). I suddenly noticed a refund of $3975 in my bank account, direct from Tesla. No explanation given. Anyone else experience this?

You said a lot of words, but you didn't actually answer my question. What should have been the prices at what date? How should they have handled the rapidly developing tax credit return? Is your answer just applicable to your experience, or are you thinking of all the others? You're speaking emotionally, not objectively.

Unless you slept through the start of the 21st Century, dynamic pricing is now Business 101. Who got screwed? Tesla buyers (CT aside) have a contracted price. Ford and Chevy/Caddi buyers- they have a reservation but not a contracted price. It can change dramatically (see the Hummer sales).

Virtually every non Tesla EV buyer is being forced to pay ADMs, effectively handing their tax credit to the dealers. Chevy slashed the price of the Bolt. Scarcity has always translated to higher pricing. And when there is sufficient choices and supply, it stops. How is that different?
The very first sentence answered your question. Go back and read it. If you can't comprehend perfect english that's on you.

Oh please. Emotional? Not 1 emotional word in any of my posts. The fact that you've even brought that up is a perfect example of someone not being able to have an educated discussion so they bring up 'emotion' to try and diminish the other's position without providing any substance themselves.

If Tesla needs me to figure out their pricing structure they can pay me.

So all the business that was done in the 20 centuries prior is now null and void. That's some sort of Trump University nonsense.

This price cut doesn't effect me at all. My company (me) pays for my car and I'll just write off the depreciation on my company's taxes. So in the end Tesla screwed their customers twice seeing as now taxpayers will pay for my depreciation as well.
30 years in business results in me being able to turn any bad situation to my benefit.

And the "what about-ism" is pure Faux News. You can't justify their actions with reasoning so you're trying to justify them by throwing others under the bus. Wrong is wrong regardless if it's being done by anyone else.

#justanotherfanboi

Last edited:
You seem to have a very firm grasp on the value of a charging network for most people

I just priced out a new car on their website.
MYLR Base is $53.5K
White interior $1K
Non White exterior: $1K for some colors.

This already bumps it past the tax rebate cap. So tax rebate is only available if you get base interior and some colors. Or white with white. That is it.

Not sure why you’re still here.
The very first sentence answered your question. Go back and read it. If you can't comprehend perfect english that's on you.

Oh please. Emotional? Not 1 emotional word in any of my posts. The fact that you've even brought that up is a perfect example of someone not being able to have an educated discussion so they bring up 'emotion' to try and diminish the other's position without providing any substance themselves.

If Tesla needs me to figure out their pricing structure they can pay me.

So all the business that was done in the 20 centuries prior is now null and void. That's some sort of Trump University nonsense.

This price cut doesn't effect me at all. My company (me) pays for my car and I'll just write off the depreciation on my company's taxes. So in the end Tesla screwed their customers twice seeing as now taxpayers will pay for my depreciation as well.
30 years in business results in me being able to turn any bad situation to my benefit.

And the "what about-ism" is pure Faux News. You can't justify their actions with reasoning so you're trying to justify them by throwing others under the bus. Wrong is wrong regardless if it's being done by anyone else.

#justanotherfanboi
That’s not how taxes work. Corporate tax rates are like 20%. So you save 20% by claiming the depreciation. You still lose the 80%.

But if a person can charge at home why would any of those people have range anxiety? Most people in the US drive less than 50 miles per day.
My take on this is if you can only buy one SUV for example - you want to have the convenience of gas for longer range trips (e.g. roadtrip) and the benefits of electric day to day. I think it's an irrational anxiety at this point but it's there.

I think the super chargers do make it more manageable -e .g. if you're planning a 30 to 40 min food stop, you can conceivably charge your car while you eat and break. Nonetheless, you lose the grab and go benefits of gas. I just think the supercharger as a differentiator is more of a fan boy comment than any real benefit from day to day use.

This person has:

Ya I texted the number that had been texting me updates previously to get an update. They responded that they would check with the 'refund team' and then followed up to say that the ACH refund would be processed in the next 5-7 business days

So seems like they had no intention of mailing/refunding anything on their own so suggest others follow-up to get things moving if you're still waiting

Rationally, yes. I've only used the L3 chargers one weekend in the first 9 months of ownership.

However, the EV penalty for driving between SF and LA was only about 30 minutes each way, using the SC. If I had some of those bad CCS experiences where it wasn't functional, and I had to resort to L2, that would be quite a damper. These weekend getaways don't have a lot of slack time. On a longer trip, I would just fly. So I think for the type that like to leave town every weekend, it could be very tangible. As well as for the people who think they are that type (like the truck owners who think they tow more than once a decade).

But you most certainly do. For people with Lyriq orders - I don't believe they know what their price will be in 2024 when it comes. Same for the F150 folks on backorder. The other makers have given guestimates on price, not commitments. Rivian eliminated their base model under the guise that no one was ordering it anyway and to "make production more efficient." That solar Lightyear company gave up on their 270k model entirely. VW pulled the heat pump option for Canada - where you most certainly want that option.

And as already mentioned, dealers have been happy to throw ADMs out. 5, 10, 50k or more.

I think Tesla's model of changing specs (and for the negative lately - pulling the sensors, the fake brembo brakes - those are legit complaints when delivery time is in the future and you have to look at your VIN to guess at what you'll be getting. This habit was a bit nicer in early 2022 when it meant you were getting improvements like the MCU and the heated wipers and the AS tires.