Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You won't be affected.

Tesla raised the price $10K from the time I ordered to delivery. I paid my original pricing.
once you've paid a non refundable fee to place the order, there is a contract.

Many of the other brands that have taken orders for 2024 are reserving the right to reset pricing, but they then have to give back deposits for anyone that bails out. Last year, when the Tesla backlog was so long, $250 was a pretty cheap placeholder in a time when the company was moving the price up thousands at a time, and no one else had firm deliveries.

I just put an order for the Tesla Model Y Performance because it qualified for the tax credit so I could theoretically get the Tesla Model Y Performance for under $50k. I checked with my parent's company's accounting firm and they said I should qualify for the tax credit, but we (my parents company) are trying to see if we should put the title under the company name for a better discount. I was unaware about the company title route for tax incentives, there are not many youtube videos talking about it, just the $7500 individual tax return.

I been wanting an SUV for a while. Initially back in 2018, I was considering a practical SUV like the Lexus RX but then I test drove a Tesla Model 3 at the LA autoshow and I just really liked the drive much better than a gas car. It felt like a car that made sense to drive that was focused on being commuter friendly but could still be fun to drive like a sports car. With gas cars, it seems your only choice is to choose an efficient but boring car or a fun fast car but inefficient / expensive maintenance car. But EVs have both, its cheap to drive and has video game like performance. Sometimes charging can be free if you're lucky which feels like getting free money. Also the Model 3 I drove for 4 years has never had any major problem, it feels like I can drive that thing forever without taking it to the shop. I probably would have bought the Model Y if I delayed my purchase one more year but there was a tax incentive and no one really talked about a Model Y which would have been like the Lexus RX price range.

When I heard of the major discount I was excited but I held off because it there were too many restrictions and couldn't get the Model Y performance with tax credit. I almost thought of just not taking advantage of the new discount because I'd just have a very similar car to something I have now and also the Tesla Model Y long range felt kind of slow during test drive. I have not had a chance to test drive the Tesla Model Y performance but I will trust Tesla that it will be a good car, considering it comes with alot of included premium options like the nicer wheels, metal foot pedals, spoiler, red brakes. It was like a $3000-4000 difference to have a cooler looking Model Y.

Right now I only know what the long range Tesla Model Y feels like. I am hoping the Tesla Model Y performance will have that video game style feel to it and feel like a sports car while being a practical car. I didn't really look at other EV options but feeling like a premium Tesla under $50k before fees sounded really good. I assume you can't get a new Tesla Model Y performance for $49,500 but the YT thumbnails all show that. I am assuming it's like getting a $5 meal at a fast food chain and your total is $5.40. So at $50,000 it be $54,000 so $4000 CA tax if its just the fast food tax. But there is that delivery fee which isn't a tax, it's like $1000 so the total was kind of like $56k real world cost if I did get the $7500 tax credit. I had the paperwork for the final break down before buying. This is just hypothetical I will have to see what happens at the very end because the company route may save more money. But the accounting firm confirmed I would qualify for the $7500 tax credit if its under my name.

Also articles suggest Tesla would start raising prices in response to the new tax credit so I did it same day as soon as I heard of this new $80k tax credit cap. It make sense because they did raise the long range Model Y by $500.

The large price drop was a message to the government "don't F with us or we will destroy GM/Ford". They are just unwinding this
Not only this, but Tesla is turning into a power company for every US EV when they open up more superchargers. They are putting them everywhere up and down the 99 in California. They are forcing GM/Ford to lose money on every EV as they make profits on every EV. I have a 2017 Chevy Bolt that I am trading in tomorrow in preparation for my MYP that I put in for today and have a Sunday scheduled delivery date. The Chevy Bolt was a great effort to try to match the Model 3, but they never improved the charging rates and the seats were made for 5' 100 lb people. I was looking at the Mach-E recently, but even when they dropped the prices the dealerships wanted way over MSRP and also had $1000 security package that you had to get. Dealerships suck!

Price just went up!
I think I locked in that $56,990 price, I can't believe it went up $1000 just in this last hour!!!!

The Tesla store was just about the close too, and I almost thought of not doing it but I felt I had to do it because Tesla never gives out free money if they don't have to.
1675484466138.png

Last edited: