Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the nearest Tesla Showroom to me, which is 2 hours away, when a car is listed on the inventory page it's the regular full price. Then a day later it drops by at least $1,000 and seems to continue to drop as more days pass. Seems like all the showrooms are doing this to put pressure on us to buy current inventory. But you have to be quick because once they go $2,000 off, they usually are sold by the next day.

Just got home with new LR-Y. Fabulous. Much more solid , composed, and quiet than our model 3. Eight days from inventory order to pick up. Dropped off our other Model 3 at Carvana and Uber over to Tesla. We now have one of each. This was the $45440 inventory model.
A LR Model Y for $45.440? The best I've seen for new inventory Model Y Long Range was $48 something. Are you positive it's the Long Range version?

45,440 was the same price I got for my MYLR. Ordered the 4th then in my garage four days later.

1694408739745.png

After tax credit its under $38k, such a good deal.

Reactions: Dayreg and pipestem
Now cheapest I see in my area is 1k more at a single location. Previously there were ~3 locations with that same 45,440 price. I think it was 3 of the 5 cars being delivered at my 1pm appointment looked identical and a dozen of the same looking on the lot, maybe there was a big batch of those basic MYLR they were clearing out of inventory.

And yet what you showed says $46,580, not $45,440. But even if you subtract the $250 order fee that you get back, it's still only $46,330.
It's very simple. for discussion we refer to the list price from Tesla which does not include destination fee or order fee: 50490-5050= 45440. Some of us also take the 500 referral discount which also includes 3 months of EAP and maybe FSD if they deliver it for HW4. I am very happy with the deal.

Reactions: MacO512
And yet what you showed says $46,580, not $45,440. But even if you subtract the $250 order fee that you get back, it's still only $46,330.
Im comparing to the Tesla order page, which is the MSRP, and price from all other brands which never includes the $250 order fee nor the ~1300 destination charge. Those also don't apply to the tax credit limits or sales tax taxable amount.

Your right the final cost often called the out the door price includes those fees plus tax title license document fees. However none of those are part of the MSRP.

Reactions: Resist and pipestem
When I placed the order on the inventory car the tesla page showed the 50,490 crossed out with the 45,440 in its place. So that is also why I used this price since that is easy to compare to for others searching inventory. Its now currently as I mentioned 1k higher at $46,450;

1694449019962.png

Reactions: pipestem
From Tesla themselves, their focus is on making as many cars as possible, not profit, but just because they say making profit is not their focus does not mean they will not try their best.

The way I see it is they are making as many cars as possible and sending them out as inventory. If they need to get rid of them they reduce the price or offer incentives. If they are in short supply they will increase the price. Price will vary greatly in different markets because of things like government incentives. They will do the calculations to see if it is worth reducing the consumer cost to bring within government subsistence levels is worth the increased level of sales they will get due to lower prices.

Has anyone else noticed how buggy the Inventory page is? It will show me cars that aren't the options I picked on the left. And, at the bottom under Additional Options there is a Performance Upgrade, what is that supposed to be? You already can pick the Performance Model Y under the Trim heading. And with the Model 3 cars the Additional Options will have Rear Heated Seats, which you already get with picking the Long Range and Performance versions. The options should be changing when you pick the Model. Tesla is also supposed to be a software company right? Why aren't they fixing this?!

I got a glimpse of that $45k price but when I clicked it, it wouldn't show me where because my zip code is outside it's area. So apparently I can't buy an out of State car from Tesla's inventory. Not sure of their reasoning because I've bought new cars from other States before. So the best price I've seen for my State on the inventory page for a Long Range Model Y with a tow hitch is $48,920 and that's 4 hours away from me. The closest is 2 hours away and they want $49,950. And it looks like Tesla raised their interest rate again, which sucks but still lower than my bank has.