Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone from WA or OR know how the sale/registration work with Tesla? Im looking for a MYLR, I found one, but its in Seattle. I live in Oregon.
Will I be able to pick up the vehicle in WA without paying the sales tax? I will have to register the vehicle in OR

Anyone from WA or OR know how the sale/registration work with Tesla? Im looking for a MYLR, I found one, but its in Seattle. I live in Oregon.
Will I be able to pick up the vehicle in WA without paying the sales tax? I will have to register the vehicle in OR
The last time I purchased a vehicle from out of state, I had to pay the tax at the DMV when I took it in to register it. It should be no different when ordering from Tesla, but since the ordering process is all online you might have to contact a showroom to get the specifics.

I got a glimpse of that $45k price but when I clicked it, it wouldn't show me where because my zip code is outside it's area. So apparently I can't buy an out of State car from Tesla's inventory. Not sure of their reasoning because I've bought new cars from other States before. So the best price I've seen for my State on the inventory page for a Long Range Model Y with a tow hitch is $48,920 and that's 4 hours away from me. The closest is 2 hours away and they want $49,950. And it looks like Tesla raised their interest rate again, which sucks but still lower than my bank has.
There's other threads on it, apparently Tesla won't let you buy a car in a state if you aren't a resident. They will cancel the deal after you place the order when you upload ID. Other dealerships can sell to people in different states no problem. But since Tesla is an automaker that is selling direct to consumers without dealers they have a lot of legal restrictions they have to navigate around.

Thought I read in a thread here Tesla will not sell to nonresidents. Many years ago my Dad in Portland bought a car at a Vancouver Washington car dealership they do that all the time. But Tesla is not a licensed car dealer so they have more restrictions.

Reactions: pipestem
There's other threads on it, apparently Tesla won't let you buy a car in a state if you aren't a resident. They will cancel the deal after you place the order when you upload ID. Other dealerships can sell to people in different states no problem. But since Tesla is an automaker that is selling direct to consumers without dealers they have a lot of legal restrictions they have to navigate around.
So then people can't buy a new Tesla if they live in a State that doesn't allow Tesla to have a showroom, to pick it up at?

I live in Connecticut, a state that does not allow Tesla to sell cars, so they sent me to NY state to pick up my car. The NY Tesla sales center processed the Connecticut registration and collected the Connecticut sales tax.
Good to know. I am assuming something similar when I pick a car in WA but have to come back and register the vehicle in OR (no sales tax)

The last time I purchased a vehicle from out of state, I had to pay the tax at the DMV when I took it in to register it. It should be no different when ordering from Tesla, but since the ordering process is all online you might have to contact a showroom to get the specifics.
I have read a few instances where Tesla can process the registration of non residents when they come pick up the car. I will have to call the showroom today. Thanks.

@raleigh 24++ hours of stability. $44320 for a black AWD, $46960 for an MSM LR, which is not bad.

I became obsessed with this when I saw a LR in Richmond for $44 something a few weeks ago, which lasted about an hour, and I could not buy because I was blocked for being just out of the region. I never saw that price again anywhere.

Reactions: MacO512
Yeah appears I grabbed the 45,440 MYLR in Austin at a perfect time just over a week ago, haven't seen one that low since. Although theres a couple at 46,xxx so not much higher.

With all the crazy price drops the last 10 months its kind of hard to know if a cheap price now will stay good in the weeks/months ahead. With interest rates probably rising even further and the m3 refresh coming followed by MY refresh maybe prices in a few months will drop much more. It appears tesla has the profit margins to go even lower and really crush the compentition.

On the flip side if we get a spike in oil prices at some point we might see some big price jumps as in 2021/2022.