Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^ yeah, it's really impossible to know what's next. I wanted to get this one end before end of year and other life events. It seems like used Tesla prices follow the new Tesla wild price swings up and down, so once you are in the club, its hard to get out.

I keep reading your member name as Mac OS 12.

Reactions: MacO512
I have read a few instances where Tesla can process the registration of non residents when they come pick up the car. I will have to call the showroom today. Thanks.
I called the support line, they mentioned that I can buy out of state (WA) and the showroom will process all the required paper work for OR.
I will receive a 3day temp permit at the showroom and I have to go back to OR to register the vehicle. OR DMV should have all the information reg. the new vehicle in less than 3 days.

If you do not opt for Tesla auto loan, you have to get all the loan paper work ready before picking up the vehicle from the showroom. The showroom will help with the motor vehicle documentation.

PS: I do not see any big price drops on MYLR like I saw them on the existing inventory, last week. I am hoping to see more vehicles with discount as we get close to the end of the Q. But we never know what their strategy is!

Reactions: MacO512
I'm going to ask again, on the inventory page under additional options, what is the performance upgrade? Is that the Acceleration Boost? Because when I check it none of the cars that come up show the Acceleration Boost.
Strange setting indeed. I see for MYP it appears to be all vehicles which makes sense since they are all performance models. No this isn't acceleration boost as thats is a software unlock option for the user to purchase, while these are all brand new vehicles.

However for MYLR it unselects most vehicles in my area but leaves 4 with the 20" inductions.

For the MY AWD it unselects most vehicles but leaves 3 with the 20" inductions and one with the 19" gemini and a tow hitch. So I'm not seeing any clear logic in this option.

1694580402761.png

The performance model does have an attribute called "Performance Upgrade" as pictured below. So perhaps this is supposed to be some option those vehicles have. The database of inventory vehicles perhaps has an error and some LY or AWD models incorrectly are flagged as having this in a search while they don't actually have it listed as an option.

1694580651208.png

Saw $42,900 briefly again an hour ago for mt kisco zip, but it disappeared fast on a base Y. The LR are all $47k+ still. I don't believe LR is worth $5k. I'm basically just waiting for cumbs now on any drop. Surely the base can't get much lower :)

I'd argue the LR is more than worth it. The charging curve really sucks on the AWD, its the worst of any Tesla vehicle they've ever built. I'd actually rather have the M3RWD powertrain than the AWD and you can get that M3 for close to 29k after tax credit.

If you don't plan to ever do supercharging or ever do road trips - well then there is a better argument for the AWD. However your going to eventually have worse resale value as well.

Does Tesla allow taking delivery in NJ for CT residents? Usually it’s Mt Kisko, NY. I have had not so good experience with Mt Kisko (very rigid on delivery slots - in general no time for answering any concerns)
Yes. I am a CT resident and I took delivery of my M3 in Mt Kisko and my MY in Paramus. My experience at Kisko was far better than Paramus. Worst part was that Paramus did not process my CT registration properly, so I had weeks with an expired registration before receiving my CT plates.

Reactions: AJ.. and MacO512
I'd argue the LR is more than worth it. The charging curve really sucks on the AWD, its the worst of any Tesla vehicle they've ever built. I'd actually rather have the M3RWD powertrain than the AWD and you can get that M3 for close to 29k after tax credit.

If you don't plan to ever do supercharging or ever do road trips - well then there is a better argument for the AWD. However your going to eventually have worse resale value as well.
What's an AWD vs LR? I am confused. I thought the LR is AWD. Is that not so?

What's an AWD vs LR? I am confused. I thought the LR is AWD. Is that not so?
They are all AWD now and he should have just said the regular Model Y. Because since Tesla isn't selling a rear wheel drive they list them as Model Y - which is the LFP battery lower range vehicle, the Model Y Long Range - which isn't LFP and obviously has a longer range, and the Model Y Performance - which is quicker but has a lower range not because of the battery but because of the wheels it comes with.

Last edited:
Reactions: flixden
They are all AWD now and he should have just said the regular Model Y. Because since Tesla isn't selling a rear wheel drive they list them as Model Y - which is the LFP battery lower range vehicle, the Model Y Long Range - which isn't LFP and obviously has a longer range, and the Model Y performance - which is quicker but has a lower range not because of the battery but because of the wheels it comes with.
Thanks!

I'd argue the LR is more than worth it. The charging curve really sucks on the AWD, its the worst of any Tesla vehicle they've ever built.
Just to clear, the base model is not called AWD because they are all AWD. Tesla lists it just as Model Y. But I completely agree with you that the LR is worth it, unless someone wants to charge up more often or never takes a road trip. And while you can still take road trips with the base Model Y, and the more frequent charging stops don't bother you, it will cost you more money in the long run at those Supercharger Stations.

Long story short, my old 2013 S died last week and I've been trying to figure out what to get to hold me over until the Cybertruck is ready. I just ordered a LR Y from "inventory" for $46.9k. Wish I had more time to wait and see if there may be better discounts near the end of the quarter, but I really need a vehicle.

@brantse I think you did fine. Hope you got the referral bonus. Here in Raleigh, it's been steady at $46440 for for a few days.

@flixden -- In addition to what is shown below, the "AWD" cannot be ordered with a 3rd row seat, has different battery cells, fast charges slightly slower (maybe a lot in practice, idk), and is made on a 'giga press' in Austin. My LR was also made in Austin.

Ordering from Inventory, the LR was $2400 more at the time (ie: 2 weeks ago), which I thought is a bargain.

1694697680587.png

1694697888089.png

They are all AWD now and he should have just said the regular Model Y. Because since Tesla isn't selling a rear wheel drive they list them as Model Y - which is the LFP battery lower range vehicle, the Model Y Long Range - which isn't LFP and obviously has a longer range, and the Model Y Performance - which is quicker but has a lower range not because of the battery but because of the wheels it comes with.
From what I understand, the LFP is only available on the M3. The base Y gets the 4680. Is this wrong?

Model 3 SR = LFP
Model 3 LR = NCA 2170
Model 3 Perf = NCA 2170

Model Y AWD = 4680
Model Y LR = NCA 2170
Model Y Perf = NCA 2170

I have been to one of the showrooms here in Seattle area. They are super busy with deliveries. There seem to be more than expected sales this Q.
Reportedly the customers are calling the showroom to check If there are any Model Ys shipped from Austin TX, with the 4680 battery.
In those affordable zip codes, the discounted vehicles are booked faster.