Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you can self refer. By "auto" I meant that when I requested the "chat lady Jessica" to send me the email since I had Day-0 CT reservation, she said there was no need since the discount would be applied automatically as long as the order was placed from the same account.

In fact, I would check if they could waive the "new" order rule, and allow you to take $1K off of your existing order that had the $500 referral -- who knows, you might get a rare customer-caring rep. on the phone.
I can confirm, I placed my order on 11/20 and asked them to apply the cybertruck email promo $1k off and they said it would apply 24 hours before delivery. I got an email this morning that my order got updated and I saw they took off the $1k as a "referral credit" even though I take delivery in 4 days.

Model 3 RWD will lose all the credit, the M3 LR loses 1/2.
MYLR retains full credit.

For 2024, the credit becomes a Point Of Sale credit, ie it comes off the purchase price.
You will need to file special IRS forms to declare it and prove you qualify for Tax Year 2024, but the credit will be upfront, not 12-15 months later getting reimbursed.
1702453063051.png

The Model 3 Long Range will lose the entire credit, not just half of it.

I believe you can self refer. By "auto" I meant that when I requested the "chat lady Jessica" to send me the email since I had Day-0 CT reservation, she said there was no need since the discount would be applied automatically as long as the order was placed from the same account.

In fact, I would check if they could waive the "new" order rule, and allow you to take $1K off of your existing order that had the $500 referral -- who knows, you might get a rare customer-caring rep. on the phone.

It's not that they don't care, it's their system/matrix . Trust me I know after years of dealing with TSLA "exceptions" . But I will certainly ask

If it indeed is a full deprecation of the $7,500, then the M3P will cost less than the LR. Bizarre. I wonder if Tesla will drop the MSRP of the LR and RWD, accordingly.

sounds like you are right, but it will be for STANDING INVENTORY AND OLD/CURRENT M3P. So with this news, i would expect after 12/31, those looking to suddenly wanting to buy a 3 will grab the last remaining "legacy" M3Ps from inventory. Tesla will release highland-- if highland performance also comes out maybe that wont qualify either, so all new highland trims no more tax credit. Standing legacy M3P will be a hot cake and sell out. Any remaining legacy RWD and LR 3s will instead be discounted heavily.

That's my theory.

THEN Im guessing the Model Y will go back to no inventory discounts and if anything maybe increase in price, because of the Y still has tax credit, it will eat highland 3 sales which wont have tax credit.

Now we just wait and see

If it indeed is a full deprecation of the $7,500, then the M3P will cost less than the LR. Bizarre. I wonder if Tesla will drop the MSRP of the LR and RWD, accordingly.

sounds like you are right, but it will be for STANDING INVENTORY AND OLD/CURRENT M3P. So with this news, i would expect after 12/31, those looking to suddenly wanting to buy a 3 will grab the last remaining "legacy" M3Ps from inventory. Tesla will release highland-- if highland performance also comes out maybe that wont qualify either, so all new highland trims no more tax credit. Standing legacy M3P will be a hot cake and sell out. Any remaining legacy RWD and LR 3s will instead be discounted heavily.

That's my theory.

THEN Im guessing the Model Y will go back to no inventory discounts and if anything maybe increase in price, because of the Y still has tax credit, it will eat highland 3 sales which wont have tax credit.

RIght, if prices hold at current. INVENTORY pricing MY would become cheaper than M3 w/ full tax credits in 24. I guess the time to buy MY is now??

$35,090 - $7500 federal - 2000 ny - 1000 cyber = $24,590.

Like damn...I strongly have considered buying another one of these and dumping our year old rav4 hybrid, but I gotta stop buying cars and I'm hopeful we can get down to two next year so as much as this is a killer deal I cannot see doing it.

I never even though we'd truly see a $35k model 3 but here it is with > $10k off as well. Just a shockingly good buy compared to other cars in this price range.

Reactions: pipestem
RIght, if prices hold at current. INVENTORY pricing MY would become cheaper than M3 w/ full tax credits in 24. I guess the time to buy MY is now??

like with all things tesla buying, its all a gamble, but that does seem plausible.

But there are those who have a mindset thinking the model Y would be better purchased in 24 if assumed it still gets full credit and now point of sale meaning less financing, possible better rates etc. But its just hard to believe they WONT change something with the 3 losing credit and a new model 3 highland, they want to push those for sure.

like with all things tesla buying, its all a gamble, but that does seem plausible.

But there are those who have a mindset thinking the model Y would be better purchased in 24 if assumed it still gets full credit and now point of sale meaning less financing, possible better rates etc. But its just hard to believe they WONT change something with the 3 losing credit and a new model 3 highland, they want to push those for sure.
Is the POS credit pre or post tax?

Buying cash (since I'm getting a mortgage too)

$35,090 - $7500 federal - 2000 ny - 1000 cyber = $24,590.

Like damn...I strongly have considered buying another one of these and dumping our year old rav4 hybrid, but I gotta stop buying cars and I'm hopeful we can get down to two next year so as much as this is a killer deal I cannot see doing it.

I never even though we'd truly see a $35k model 3 but here it is with > $10k off as well. Just a shockingly good buy compared to other cars in this price range.
We already have a MYLR and were planning on getting a second car in the coming months but the value of the M3RWD right now was kind of hard to turn down. I ordered right before the announcement that it was losing the fed credits were disappearing next year and inventory discounts quickly evaporated in my area.

Picking up on Saturday for ($35,090 - $7500 federal - $5000 CO - 1000 cyber) $21,590. Even with depreciation, I think I could still sell it in a few years if the Juniper MY is compelling enough for a minimal loss.