Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is now the value leader. I have no idea how Chevy or its dealers will respond. Your response is a banana to cabbage comparison, AND it ignores the actual realities of Bolt shopping.

Value leader with none of the basics the Bolt comes with? Isn’t the Bolt still close to $17k cheaper than the lowest Model 3 but comes with sensors?

After thinking about it some, Tesla is actually doing is the consumer a favor with this move. Other manufacturers will be forced to stop asking above MSRP prices and maybe even some of the enthusiast models will come back down to earth. Thanks Musk.
In the long run, I think this is good and the right way to look at things. Come next vehicle purchase, I'll likely have many more affordable and competitive options. Even now, used values of Ioniq 5s, EV6s, Mach Es, etc. have already dropped giving customers more power to not take on markups. We may even see dealers offer discounts soon and eventually manufacturers dropping prices (less likely)

However, in the short term, it really sucks for recent owners, and is further proof of how little Tesla cares about you as a customer after you hit accept. In the grand scheme of things, Tesla knows price is king, and right now, they can undercut anyone on the market without a care in the world for their current customers. But Tesla's advantage dwindles as more time passes as other manus continue to scale and catch up in technology and quality. You're already seeing it in the last 2 years. As competition and pricing gets even more competitive, small things like how you felt you were slighted in January of 2023 can be the deciding factor in jumping ship to another EV.

Last edited:
Your vehicle wouldn’t qualify for the tax credits even now because of the options. However, the actual price is down $13,000 since yesterday.
I was aware that I would not qualify for the credit when I leased the car, and I was fine with it, what is a punch in the gut is the fact that I would be leasing it for materially less today than i signed for 5 days ago

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I was aware that I would not qualify for the credit when I leased the car, and I was fine with it, what is a punch in the gut is the fact that I would be leasing it for materially less today than i signed for 5 days ago
That is a bummer but if you were OK paying that amount the other day then you still should be OK paying that amount. It still is a really great car.

Tesla is now the value leader. I have no idea how Chevy or its dealers will respond. Your response is a cherry to cabbage comparison, AND it ignores the actual realities of Bolt shopping.
Selling a vehicle for a higher price simply doesn't make one manufacturer a value leader. It's the opposite, and I doubt that Tesla even has the goal to be a market value leader. Yes, depending on your area and dealer you can get an exceptionally good deal on a Bolt right now.
Although this is a Tesla forum, we should still honestly see the EV market as it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
Well, its official. I will never again purchase a Tesla product again because of this. Not only did many of us pay way over the new prices, but this also tanks the trade in value.
How is that different from any other new car, where you might (for example):
  1. See an MSRP of $40,000 for the car you want.
  2. Buy it for $39,000 from a dealer willing to sell it for that.
  3. A month later, see a new manufacturer incentive of $5,000 so that dealers are now willing to sell it for a net of $35,000 or less?
  4. See used car prices for that car drop similarly.
Main difference is that the price change on the other car is not visible in MSRP, but is just as real as a price change on a Tesla.

How is that different from any other new car, where you might (for example):
  1. See an MSRP of $40,000 for the car you want.
  2. Buy it for $39,000 from a dealer willing to sell it for that.
  3. A month later, see a new manufacturer incentive of $5,000 so that dealers are now willing to sell it for a net of $35,000 or less?
  4. See used car prices for that car drop similarly.
Main difference is that the price change on the other car is not visible in MSRP, but is just as real as a price change on a Tesla.

The difference is with any other manufacturer you can guess when those incentives will be coming and plan it out. Basically every Holiday you can expect some type of Incentive.

With Tesla, they might increase the price next week citing “demand” and then the following week reduce the price again.

I think what Tesla buyers need to be made aware of is that your Tesla is not special, it’s a regular car, don’t buy it thinking you’ll get the same price you paid 1 month ago. When you sell privately don’t act like you are selling an exotic 🤣

Chatted on tesla.com to see if they had any details on how the $7,500 works with leases. With the price drops, I'm definitely interested in an M3P!

Anyone know by any chance?

View attachment 895417
Lease companies for cars other than Teslas should quality for the commercial part of the EV credit and *may* pass those onto lessees. Those lease companies have to be legally separate entities with an arms length relationship with the manufacturer.
Tesla's internal leases 99% won't qualify. Tesla will have to setup some technically independent entity they don't control to make it work.