Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla model 3 "in-stock" deals are pretty good. They are around 37K. I have a hyundai tuscon that I was going to trade in. However, I don't know if it makes financial sense now. My payments on my hyundai are pretty low and I don't drive a lot.

It makes sense because the total cost of ownership is going to be a lot less than the Tucson over the next 4-5 years. No oil changes. No belts or hoses to break. No starter. No alternator. None of the dozen or more points of failure that will make operating the Tucson more expensive. Plus the price of electricity per mile is so much less than the price of gas per mile.

A nice RWD Model 3 for a daily driver will be a pleasant experience.

Reactions: sloth
It makes sense because the total cost of ownership is going to be a lot less than the Tucson over the next 4-5 years.
I’m gonna go ahead and point out that there is no possible way to make that statement given the information provided. Buying a brand new car is very rarely a net positive TCO vs. the car you already have.

Last edited:
I mean …. As of now, I pay around 280 per month. And that’s a 0 apr finance. I don’t drive much like I said. My gas cost let’s say is around 40$. If I got the tesla, I’m sure my payment would be higher, but that is a tempting price for a model 3.

Keep what you have if you don't drive a lot. All EV batteries will degrade due to time, and I'd expect the calendar lifespan to be ~10 years. You'll get a long life from a low mileage gas car without the battery pack replacement cost. EVs shine when you are a high mileage driver, and of course you charge at home. This is also a really bad time to take on additional debt if you don't need to. You simply can't beat the 0% rate you currently have.

Unless I'm missing something, looks like the M3 inventory cars dropped $2-3k? Looking like a pretty good deal.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 3.00.08 PM.png

I mean …. As of now, I pay around 280 per month. And that’s a 0 apr finance. I don’t drive much like I said. My gas cost let’s say is around 40$. If I got the tesla, I’m sure my payment would be higher, but that is a tempting price for a model 3.
$40 is per fill up I'm assuming. What's your total gas price for the month? There are a couple calculators online that you plug in monthly miles driven, your per gallon price, your per Kwh price at your house and figures out how much you'll save. Add in the cost of the Tesla to see how much a month you'll really spend.

For me, my story is in late 21 I was looking at a newer vehicle. I drive 2k miles a month and was spending about $750/mo to fill my paid off '08 diesel Jeep. Plugging my numbers into the calculator, I was projected to save about $700/mo. In my head, I could buy a M3P for essentially $200 a month. It was a $900/mo payment, so I did. I was able to get a 1.99% rate.
Energy price was pretty close, I think I'm at $60 month vs the $50 projected. Insurance amount wasn't a factor cause it was about the same as the other cars I was looking at.
Then there's the other costs like installing a 60w breaker and Tesla wall connector. Though I can easily justify that cost as future proofing the house.

I also didn't look at the purchase as strictly a financial move. Otherwise I'd buy a Corolla and drive it for the rest of my now, miserable life.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloth
$40 is per fill up I'm assuming. What's your total gas price for the month? There are a couple calculators online that you plug in monthly miles driven, your per gallon price, your per Kwh price at your house and figures out how much you'll save. Add in the cost of the Tesla to see how much a month you'll really spend.

For me, my story is in late 21 I was looking at a newer vehicle. I drive 2k miles a month and was spending about $750/mo to fill my paid off '08 diesel Jeep. Plugging my numbers into the calculator, I was projected to save about $700/mo. In my head, I could buy a M3P for essentially $200 a month. It was a $900/mo payment, so I did. I was able to get a 1.99% rate.
Energy price was pretty close, I think I'm at $60 month vs the $50 projected. Insurance amount wasn't a factor cause it was about the same as the other cars I was looking at.
Then there's the other costs like installing a 60w breaker and Tesla wall connector. Though I can easily justify that cost as future proofing the house.

I also didn't look at the purchase as strictly a financial move. Otherwise I'd buy a Corolla and drive it for the rest of my now, miserable life.
Yes per fill up which for me is maybe once or twice a month.

Where can I find those calculators you mentioned?

Tesla model 3 "in-stock" deals are pretty good. They are around 37K. I have a hyundai tuscon that I was going to trade in. However, I don't know if it makes financial sense now. My payments on my hyundai are pretty low and I don't drive a lot.
Price was reduced and with the tax credit (assuming you qualify) that brings the price down to less than $30k. Do you think they are going to get any cheaper? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
I mean …. As of now, I pay around 280 per month. And that’s a 0 apr finance.
Don’t think about monthly payments if you want an actual financial comparison. How many payments do you have left / what do you owe on the car? That’s what’s important.

I don’t drive much like I said. My gas cost let’s say is around 40$. If I got the tesla, I’m sure my payment would be higher, but that is a tempting price for a model 3.
You will not save money with a new Tesla. Full stop. Now, there are lots of other reasons to want a new car - chief among them being “I want one”, which is totally fine. But this endeavor will not save you money. No way.

Reactions: Hiline and sloth
Don’t think about monthly payments if you want an actual financial comparison. How many payments do you have left / what do you owe on the car? That’s what’s important.

You will not save money with a new Tesla. Full stop. Now, there are lots of other reasons to want a new car - chief among them being “I want one”, which is totally fine. But this endeavor will not save you money. No way.
I have about 8K left on the car and about less than 2 years left.