Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my car used about 6 months ago. Because of some unfortunate events not under my control I thought about selling it. Of course, used cars is not a primary business for Tesla. However I was shocked to discover that when trying to sell my car to Carmax ot Carvana there is a price/value difference of nearly $10,000. This is for a 2020 with 15k miles. This seems insanely weird. I also have a Lexus and the value is no where near that, in terms of depreciation. I will also add that for my M3 Im already experiencing repair issues.
Any of you have any experience with the drastic drop in value?

Really more of a joke... so I bought a 2023 M3LR right before Tesla stopped taking orders in November. Worst time to buy possible due to price - but now it seems like I got one of the last M3s produced at the 358 mile range, and it's considered a 2023!

maybe one day it will be considered a rare car - like a penny with an odd mark on it or something haha (anything to make me feel better about paying 10 grand more than anyone else!)

I bought my car used about 6 months ago. Because of some unfortunate events not under my control I thought about selling it. Of course, used cars is not a primary business for Tesla. However I was shocked to discover that when trying to sell my car to Carmax ot Carvana there is a price/value difference of nearly $10,000. This is for a 2020 with 15k miles. This seems insanely weird. I also have a Lexus and the value is no where near that, in terms of depreciation. I will also add that for my M3 Im already experiencing repair issues.
Any of you have any experience with the drastic drop in value?
I have a 2022 LR Model 3 that I got in August 2022. It has 8000 miles on it and thanks to the price drops I’m now $8000 upside down. I usually lease cars too, but I bought this one unfortunately.

I like my car for the EV aspect, but if it weren’t for getting screwed over by Tesla and losing value I’d definitely sell it and get an iX. Instead I’ll be keeping it for a while. Doesn’t make me want another Tesla, that’s for sure.

Most people who bought a new vehicle during the pandemic up to early this year are going to be upside down, by how much depends on how desperate they were. Outside Tesla the gouging went by a common name Market Adjustment Value which went straight into the pockets of dealerships. People were paying $5K to $15K over MSRP. Tesla being a first party dealership simply raised their price as much as $15K at some point and people were all too willing to pay it. It's true no manufacturer has done what Tesla did because no of them do first party sales. Almost everyone who bought during the "pandemic" got price gouged either by Tesla or the dealership's market adjustment value fee and is upside down.

What's even crazier to me is all the people buying 2023 Model 3s this month with an all new 2024 just a few months away. IMO Tesla will drop the prices again in July and add more supercharger incentives. I figure the 2023 will depreciate at least 10K when the 2024 arrives and assuming they still have inventory near September I can see the price dropping -5K or more off current MSRP for a 2023.

What's even crazier to me is all the people buying 2023 Model 3s this month with an all new 2024 just a few months away. IMO Tesla will drop the prices again in July and add more supercharger incentives. I figure the 2023 will depreciate at least 10K when the 2024 arrives and assuming they still have inventory near September I can see the price dropping -5K or more off current MSRP for a 2023.

I don’t believe it will be “all new” but more of an hardware/camera/nose refresh. I’m guessing at least 3/4 of the current M3 will carry over.

I’ve been waiting for more information on the Highland and in the meantime lobbing borderline lowball but legit offers at various sellers whose cars catch my eye In the meantime just in case somebody bites. One recurring theme I’m seeing over on the Plaid boards is that the HW4 cars are consistently not working correctly. Basic AP, emergency braking, identifying cars or lines next to the car, are often not working with Tesla SCs telling these buyers that they just need to wait for updates from Tesla while a few people who say their HW4 cars are working just fine. It’s not confidence inspiring.

-Paul

Most people who bought a new vehicle during the pandemic up to early this year are going to be upside down, by how much depends on how desperate they were. Outside Tesla the gouging went by a common name Market Adjustment Value which went straight into the pockets of dealerships. People were paying $5K to $15K over MSRP. Tesla being a first party dealership simply raised their price as much as $15K at some point and people were all too willing to pay it. It's true no manufacturer has done what Tesla did because no of them do first party sales. Almost everyone who bought during the "pandemic" got price gouged either by Tesla or the dealership's market adjustment value fee and is upside down.

I'm waiting for the next round of incentives now that we're in Q3...with Highland potentially just around the corner I'm guessing Tesla will start more discounts/incentives to clear out the older M3 inventory.

Do we know when Highland is potentially going to start delivery? I'm guessing if they are targeting Q3 launch then we would see incentives for the older M3 that are in inventory start coming earlier than the end of Q3?

I'll tell you why I just ordered one with a build date of April. I need a car now and it's $2k off. It's a very good price. I'm reminded of the bulls, bears, pigs slaughtered adage. The price may drop, but I cannot imagine it dropping all that much more. Even now (I am going with a RWD and it has $2200 off the price) with tax credits this car is obscenely good value compared to a still very tight new-car market.

I'm waiting for the next round of incentives now that we're in Q3...with Highland potentially just around the corner I'm guessing Tesla will start more discounts/incentives to clear out the older M3 inventory.

Do we know when Highland is potentially going to start delivery? I'm guessing if they are targeting Q3 launch then we would see incentives for the older M3 that are in inventory start coming earlier than the end of Q3?

I was thinking about that, but Tesla isn't really the type of company that keeps a huge glut of inventory, since they don't have traditional dealerships. Mostly built to order, correct? So where does the excess inventory come from?

According to this inventory tracker there isn't much excess right now: New Model 3 US Inventory Listings - Tesla Inventory Tracker

Reactions: ginmqi
I've been watching local inventory waiting for a big discount. Yesterday a new M3P had a $2950 discount. Tonight there is no inventory showing on Tesla's website in any zip code I randomly entered. I wonder if they are getting ready to drop a big discount.

I'll tell you why I just ordered one with a build date of April. I need a car now and it's $2k off. It's a very good price. I'm reminded of the bulls, bears, pigs slaughtered adage. The price may drop, but I cannot imagine it dropping all that much more. Even now (I am going with a RWD and it has $2200 off the price) with tax credits this car is obscenely good value compared to a still very tight new-car market.

The RWD is a great deal with the full tax credit. Come Jan 1 when dealers can take the credit off the sale price upfront Toyota & Honda are going to be in a world of pain when the out the door price of a M3RWD is $32K.

I was thinking about that, but Tesla isn't really the type of company that keeps a huge glut of inventory, since they don't have traditional dealerships. Mostly built to order, correct? So where does the excess inventory come from?

According to this inventory tracker there isn't much excess right now: New Model 3 US Inventory Listings - Tesla Inventory Tracker

I forget that not all localities in the USA have the ample sitting inventory mine does. Yesterday in my locality new M3P's were up to $2950 off. That's the biggest discount I seen thus far in 2023 since the MSRP normalized back to pre-pandemic prices. Today the Tesla site has no inventory being displayed. I seriously doubt they sold all the in stock inventory in my locality not to mention the whole USA. Fingers are crossed they are preparing to do a big blow out discount. My price target is -$5000 on a 2023 RWD. I think end of August is my personal cut off date to buy a 2023; after that Highland will be to close to take the risk of being upside down if Tesla introduces it at a lower MSRP with superior specs.

The RWD is a great deal with the full tax credit. Come Jan 1 when dealers can take the credit off the sale price upfront Toyota & Honda are going to be in a world of pain when the out the door price of a M3RWD is $32K.
Oh man, I didn't know that change is upcoming on Jan 1! This is to be my fourth vehicle taking some, or all advantage of the $7500 credit (first a leaf a decade ago). Those were all leases. This is the first time I have to carry that $7500 until next February. For some people that's an unsurmountable bother, for various reasons. My New York state credit is $2k point-of-sale, so it does come off the top in the same manner.

As for your hoped discount I am sure you've looked into it more than I have, but I wonder if Tesla will go through a transition where they more or less cut off model 3 production for a bit as they go to highland. That could dry up inventory and quash any discounts, potentially.

I saw in another thread a good point: if highland is a moderate change it's not really worth waiting for anyway. If it's a significant change it could introduce significant quality issues at launch. Normally I hate the idea of buying a new vehicle when next gen is on the cusp, but the prices on these are so amazing now I'd be kicking myself if I waited for an even better deal and let a great one slip out of my fingers.