Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$43,400 for the cheapest AWD model 3 now. In my state (NY) that means $8000 including the $500 state rebate (its msrp is too high for full $2k credit), so you're looking at $35,500 for an awd model 3. Really a bonkers low price in this car market. The standard range is still looking to be $39k before $9500 off (state+fed), so $29,500.

We got our standard for $38k before credits in july but had the AWD been this price we would have gone for it instead. I have to admit I'm starting to consider trading in our 2022 rav4 hybrid for a model y before end of year. Toyota has become a cult such that resale on these cars is absolutely absurd. We just had our name after 12 months come up on a rav4 prime, but they want $52k for an almost-loaded prime. I can nab a Y after tax credits for a touch over $40k.

I've been driving a 2020 MS for 3 years now, still loving it. Just a few months ago, my wife bought a new Subaru Crosstrek, but wasn't loving it. So today she test drove a M3 and ordered one on the spot. Here's where it gets good. We found just what we wanted in inventory, in blue, available in one week. Because it's an inventory car, they took off $2,470. Because we live in Massachusetts, the State gives us an instant tax rebate of $3,500 (which comes off the price of the car at purchase). The Feds will give us $7,500 EV tax credit, bringing the total discount to $13,470 and the purchase price down to $27,770. Tesla offered $23700 for my wife's Subie, so she'll get a new M3 for less than $7K out the door, all fees included (although we'll have to front Tesla the $7,500 EV tax credit and get it back next April). Delivery is in about 10 days.

I did not know that $3500 comes off the purchase price at time of sale. ( in mass)
Yep. Along with the Federal tax credit (which is non-refundable), you can get a discount of $11K on an M3 - in addition to whatever 'price adjustment' Tesla may dole out.

We also got a $500 referral credit, so we get a total discount of $13,970 (!) Delivery is in 5 days.

Saw this new Performance M3 up in Canada for 67.8k cnd. That’s 49.5k usd.
…looks like they selling off Perf models to make way for whatever/whenever the new one is.
IMG_2487.png

Can you define "updated"? Did you cancel and reorder or ask them to discount you?

At mt kisco in NY I now see a $42,520 AWD LR Model 3, which is a grand cheaper than when I posted the same a week back in this thread.
I saw a better deal going to that same tesla store on tesla inventory, I drove there and spoke with a sales person, that sales person helped me move the vin# in my order from the expensive one to the cheaper one, documents automatically updated in terms of dollars/financial numbers in my tesla app. Order # doesn't change.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
They are pretty easy to deal with I have to say. I was monitoring a month back. Found a very good price at a far away location, and before I took delivery, I saw one with exact same configuration and price at a nearer location. They allowed me to switch when I called them, and even offered to route that car to the closest one to my home.

I feel lucky that I haven’t seen the same price since. ($42520 for M3LR)

Reactions: EatsShoots
Update: we got the final trade-in offer from Tesla today, which we declined. Carmax offered us $26K for the Subaru, $2.2K more than Tesla's offer and more than enough to make up for paying the sales tax on the full price. We'll drop off the Subaru at Carmax tomorrow afternoon and take delivery on the M3 the day after tomorrow. Looking forward to becoming a 2-Tesla family. After all the dust settles, our net cash cost to trade a used 2023 Crosstrek for a new 2023 M3 was just over $5K. Color me happy!

To the OP. You can adjust your withholding via w4 to prepay less federal tax. The current w4 makes this easy.

Of course, payroll is my profession, but anyone with logic can figure this out too.

Personally, I never loan the irs money and monitor my prepayments to be just enough not to cause penalty, and happily let the irs loan me money until April.

To the OP. You can adjust your withholding via w4 to prepay less federal tax. The current w4 makes this easy.

Of course, payroll is my profession, but anyone with logic can figure this out too.

Personally, I never loan the irs money and monitor my prepayments to be just enough not to cause penalty, and happily let the irs loan me money until April.

In my case, withholding doesn't apply, as I'm a self-employed retiree. I won't have to make any more Federal estimated tax payments this year, and if I still don't have enough tax liability for the year to cover all my EV credits, I'll transfer money from my IRA into a Roth IRA, creating instant tax liability as needed to soak up the credits.