Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, they are pretty hard to see. I went out to my garage just now and tried to get a picture of it. You can barely see them and only in the right light. If it's cloudy or rainy, forget about it. I looked for the scuff, I couldn't locate it! Anything you see in those pictures is NOT what you see in the ones I posted from delivery. Relax LOL.
Honestly, everyone will have their opinions.

I personally don’t see any issues. But for someone else it may be a deal breaker.

Is it an issue to you? Does it bother you? If so, make sure they fix what they can. If you don’t have issues with anything. Then still make sure you point it out to them and see how much they will fix and forget about what they won’t. Or get a 2 step paint correction and the paint issues should be fixed, I think.

But if you are happy then that’s all that matters.

Reactions: MeanDOG and Byce007
Hi guys, quick questions for you:
I ordered a Model Y white exterior, black interior, 19” wheels, tow hitch (no EA or FSD) on January 15 in Chicago.
I was shown Jan-Mar estimated delivery, and I am still shown that, even though we are in February already!
I only have a reservation number, no VIN attached. Is there something I’m missing? I am not able to add any delivery or loan information. If I call Tesla delivery services I just get a mailbox where I leave messages, but no one calls back.
It seems people that ordered much later than me already got their vehicles - do you have any suggestions?
Did you complete registration, trade in and pay option tasks?

OK, so I took delivery today!

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Condensation - meh, this went away
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance and support.

Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for the detailed report - it was super helpful; and congrats! Hopefully Tesla will address any concerns you still have quickly and properly.

I wonder if Tesla's delivery estimates account for the number of people who place orders for vehicles then end up not buying them for various reasons including, but not limited to:

• Unable to pay for the vehicle by the time of delivery (insufficient cash or equity, not qualified for financing, etc.)
  • Changed mind (decided not to buy, bought something else, etc.)
  • Unacceptable quality
  • Vehicle didn't arrive in time
  • Tax credit falls from $7,500 to $3,750

I can see a number of cancellations happening for that last possibility.

A three-month or even a one-month delivery window estimate seems wide to me - it may be accurate, but it's certainly not precise. :) Tesla knows how many vehicles they can build and they know exactly how many orders are placed. The second you place an order, you should have an EDD accurate to within a week, if not a day. Now, I understand that EDDs can and will move depending on a lot of factors such as weather, parts shortages, labor shortages, etc.

Let's say you're a cake decorator that can make 4 cakes per day. You normally get orders for 4 cakes per day on average and maintain a backlog of 20 cakes. If someone orders a cake today, you know that cake will be ready a week from now. If the government starts subsidizing cakes resulting in a sudden demand increase to 8 cakes per day, but you can only make 4 cakes per day, the lead time for each new order can be easily calculated to the day. Because demand becomes twice production capacity, each passing day add two days to the backlog. At some point, the backlog will become too great and one of four things will have to happen:

• You'll stop taking orders
  • You'll raise prices to curb demand
  • Customers will not purchase the cake because the wait time is too long
  • You could increase production capacity, but that would involve an expensive and time-consuming kitchen remodel and you run the risk of the demand falling and your operation becomes less efficient because you have too much production capacity.

I work for a company that manufactures industrial machinery. Unless something major and expected happens, we know down to the week when your order will be ready months before it is actually manufactured. Sometimes delays happen, but we adjust the delivery date if and when those delays occur. Sometimes, we even deliver orders ahead of schedule if raw materials arrive sooner than expected and our labor force is more productive than usual for some reason.
Love the analysis... takes me back to my college courses in operations research / linear programming ;-)

OD: 1/14, Vin: 1/15, produced 1/16. Delivery appt on 1/21. Took delivery 2/1 at Tesla in Springfield, NJ

In short, the experience was great, and the drive home was nothing short of magical. I concur with the previous posters about how it's almost comically life-changing. It was a *sugar*-ton of money to fork over, but no regrets. (And let's hope it stays that way!).

Overall, it was fairly low-stress, which is good, because I'm still exhausted :p

I did bring a checklist and am glad I did, but I certainly wasn't waving it around. This is it: GitHub - polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist: Checklist for Tesla Model Y

So, on my way there I got a text instructing me to go find my car, and then to accept the terms to unlock the vehicle. I found the car almost immediately, it was the first VIN I checked with the new deliveries around the side of the building.

We spent a good deal of time looking it over. 20-30 min? It was nice to be able to compare my car to so many others just like it. When I opened the app to "Accept Terms" so I could inspect the interior, the button was gray - clearly I had to pay first :) I went inside and I explained/asked, nicely, that I'd like to inspect inside the car before I took delivery (as I slid over the check), and she said that was no problem, you can inspect the interior before taking delivery. (Guess my charm worked? Or maybe I'm a sucker!)

Now for the "issues" I saw... and I put that in quotations because I don't feel these were deal-breakers. I agreed to schedule service and deal with them post delivery.

The list:
  • Grease/dirt on the driver a-pillar - toothbrush and some spray should take this right out in a few seconds
  • Rear-window - kept going back down when it got to the top, like the pinch protection was mis-calibrated. When I tried it once after I got home, it worked fine 🤷‍♂️
  • Rocker panels - meh, okay, so they were are a little off - maybe I will try to get that addressed, though not sure how they would.
  • Scratches/Scuffs - this was is probably the "biggest" concern, because I don't think it's easy to fix. I'm not sure how/if they could handle this, or if it qualifies as a "manufacturing defect", but when the SA came out to help show me how to properly close the frunk, she acknowledged it and started to say she could take a picture. I probably should have let her. But, I said I already had and she said great, then you just make an appointment in the app and upload them.

Now, I don't know how plausible it is that these will all be addressed because, when I was scheduling service, I clicked on the "Learn more" button, to read this: "General appearance concerns are not covered by your vehicle warranty unless related to a manufacturing defect. Please refer to the exclusions section of your vehicle warranty for details."

See for yourself - I'm not sure how much of a stink to make about this stuff - I'm pretty easy going. The scratches were not easily noticeable on the passenger front quarter panel, and a very small scuff on the hood. But, it was a nice sunny day at around noon, and it was still hard to notice these and the pics make them look more obvious. That said, you could definitely see it in the right light. I said I'm not trying to be (or hoping) I'm not being too picky but she understood completely. It was a very cordial, friendly and reasonable interaction. (But we'll also see what redress I have, realistically.) To put it another way, if I was told bluntly, "yeah, sorry, but we're not gonna address any of that stuff" would I have accepted the car? Would you?? Hard to say for me... let's see what service says, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Tesla might be counting on my cares melting away on the drive home, and that isn't far off 🙃

That's it! Full report as promised. I'm thrilled with the car! Now if I can only get my charger setup without electrocuting myself... mobile charger arrives tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone!
Was your car from Fremont or Austin? Matrix?

Interesting. I ordered the same config on 01/20 and my EDD is Mar 4 - 31. Hasn't budged. @firsttimer ordered 3 days later than me and his window starts from Feb 27 which is earlier than me. Looks all White/Blacks will be delivered in March. Tesla seems to be busy building the versions that make them more money.
I ordered my white/black/19/tow/5 on 1/15. Fremont build pickup scheduled for Monday, 2/6. The EDD changed 5 times, sometimes forward and backward.

• Helpful
Reactions: DKS37
Hi guys, quick questions for you:
I ordered a Model Y white exterior, black interior, 19” wheels, tow hitch (no EA or FSD) on January 15 in Chicago.
I was shown Jan-Mar estimated delivery, and I am still shown that, even though we are in February already!
I only have a reservation number, no VIN attached. Is there something I’m missing? I am not able to add any delivery or loan information. If I call Tesla delivery services I just get a mailbox where I leave messages, but no one calls back.
It seems people that ordered much later than me already got their vehicles - do you have any suggestions?
At least for me, I made sure to clear out the tasks in the app. Registered to 1 person. Marked as No Trade In. Purchasing with Cash. Once I had those items cleared out, I got updated EDD pretty quick. Once you get the updated EDD, then you are able to change especially the purchasing option.

The list:

Good luck to everyone!
Congrats. My only comment after seeing your pictures is that please clean those leaves in your garage. Shouldn't take long.

• Funny
Reactions: jhirsch123
That gap doesn't look like something passable. I would have rejected the car.
Let’s assume you reject it.

Then, on some random forum or YouTube video, you find out that most doors, hoods and hatches can easy be opened, and then after locating a rubber like stopper nearby and twisting it a bit… you fix that alignment issue.

How would you feel about that rejection now?

Assuming you currently own a car, you can check it out yourself next time you go near it.

For doors that don’t have it… well, you could try bending it a bit (Google results say a wood block placed in certain spots might help)… or if you have a large-ish screwdriver, you can try loosening the hinge enough to move it a hair. Even in this case, it’s way better than rejecting it and waiting for the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: geekfam