Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I heard the news about new 80k cap for all MY, I went to available inventory and was offered to swap my MYLR order (OD: 1/14, EDD:2/10-3/10) with MYP. So, I took it and now have scheduled delivery date!

However..., because MYP already has 13 mi on it, I am concerned that it could be a reject.

My question to the folks on this forum is that if I refuse it, can I go back to the original order and not lose my place in the line, or am I screwed because I have to start the order process all over again?
You can switch between the Y family of vehicles all you want on the same order, but only reject a maximum of two VINs per order.

You should be fine to reject and go back to another build. I have heard SAs say that any changes to your desired build will put you to the back of the line, but that has not been the case for me in any of my frequent changes over the past year.

Good luck; hope you get something you enjoy!

Reactions: unxn
Trying to change my LR order to a Performance but can't get through on Tesla's customer support line. Too late to change in the app (Order date 1/20) and I can't find the confirmation text. Any other ideas? Guess they are flooded today!
Just upgraded to the P via the website Capture.PNG

Reactions: ATG1
Just curious. Does nearly everyone who ordered a white exterior really love that color? Or are you just ordering that because the EDD seems to be much quicker? I ordered a red (only option I chose) MYLR on January 13th with the black interior which still has an EDD of 1 Feb to 1 Mar 2023. C'mon Tesla, change the production line and let some other folks have a chance.
This is a spot-on question to what we recently did - we have a wht/wht coming so to differentiate we bought a set of THESE:
Model Y Whl Covers.jpeg

I am considering getting a local SR as well. I understand that SRs come with the 4680 battery pack vs 2170. Still doing research on the advantages and disadvantages of the two battery technologies. It's quite acceptable to charge the 4680 battery to 100% on a daily basis, while it is discouraged from doing so with the 2170. Elon has said that the 4680 also retains it effectiveness longer and the 4680 offers better structural support and improved handling. I'm still on the fence.
You’ve been misinformed. The only batteries that don’t have a 100% charging concern are the LFP batteries. That is NOT the 4680 battery pack in the MYAWD and its pack should still only be charged to 90% day-to-day.

Now if you decide to get a Model 3 Standard Range or a Model Y Standard Range Single-Motor/Rear Wheel Drive (not sold in US currently), then you will get an LFP battery.

I wonder if Tesla's delivery estimates account for the number of people who place orders for vehicles then end up not buying them for various reasons including, but not limited to:

• Unable to pay for the vehicle by the time of delivery (insufficient cash or equity, not qualified for financing, etc.)
  • Changed mind (decided not to buy, bought something else, etc.)
  • Unacceptable quality
  • Vehicle didn't arrive in time
  • Tax credit falls from $7,500 to $3,750

I can see a number of cancellations happening for that last possibility.

A three-month or even a one-month delivery window estimate seems wide to me - it may be accurate, but it's certainly not precise. :) Tesla knows how many vehicles they can build and they know exactly how many orders are placed. The second you place an order, you should have an EDD accurate to within a week, if not a day. Now, I understand that EDDs can and will move depending on a lot of factors such as weather, parts shortages, labor shortages, etc.

Let's say you're a cake decorator that can make 4 cakes per day. You normally get orders for 4 cakes per day on average and maintain a backlog of 20 cakes. If someone orders a cake today, you know that cake will be ready a week from now. If the government starts subsidizing cakes resulting in a sudden demand increase to 8 cakes per day, but you can only make 4 cakes per day, the lead time for each new order can be easily calculated to the day. Because demand becomes twice production capacity, each passing day add two days to the backlog. At some point, the backlog will become too great and one of four things will have to happen:

• You'll stop taking orders
  • You'll raise prices to curb demand
  • Customers will not purchase the cake because the wait time is too long
  • You could increase production capacity, but that would involve an expensive and time-consuming kitchen remodel and you run the risk of the demand falling and your operation becomes less efficient because you have too much production capacity.

I work for a company that manufactures industrial machinery. Unless something major and expected happens, we know down to the week when your order will be ready months before it is actually manufactured. Sometimes delays happen, but we adjust the delivery date if and when those delays occur. Sometimes, we even deliver orders ahead of schedule if raw materials arrive sooner than expected and our labor force is more productive than usual for some reason.
My guess is that the wide EDD range is due to the fact that Tesla isn't exactly following a first come first serve basis. They have prioritized certain specs and likely are expecting cancelations in the future which may result earlier or later wait times based on what actually happens. They are trying to play it safe because they rather not go back and say whoops we have to push all these orders back.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
As soon as I heard then verified the news about the price cap changing from $55K to $80K this morning, I told my brother-in-law about it and found the exact configuration he originally wanted (red+20") in inventory. By the time he called to change his order minutes later, it was gone. He was able to change his order, but it changed his EDD from mid-February to mid-March.

Also, his sales advisor told him the tax credit changes wouldn't go into effect until after March 31st. I believe his sales advisor gave him incorrect information unless she knows something the internet does not. :)

I'm staying in at my $52,990 "poverty edition" and hoping it still qualifies for the full tax credit when it arrives next month.
Red + 20 inch in bay area,ca ?

I snagged it same this morning around 10:30 am