Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So OD 1/23. Still no updates obviously. But I'm seeing these lower range (~270mi) Model Ys occasionally pop up on local inventory. Which I assume is Standard Range models??? If I switch to these models, does anyone think I'll regret the lack of range?

So OD 1/23. Still no updates obviously. But I'm seeing these lower range (~270mi) Model Ys occasionally pop up on local inventory. Which I assume is Standard Range models??? If I switch to these models, does anyone think I'll regret the lack of range?
Decide for yourself:
Range (miles)Optimal Charging (Min)Optimal Charging (Max)Optimal
Range (miles)​
20%​
80%
Standard - 279​
55.8​
223.2​
167.4​
Long Range - 330​
66​
264​
198​

Last edited:
Reactions: nj201
Theoretically the range difference between LR and Standard is 31 miles assuming normal charging between 80% and 20% - am I thinking about this correctly? Here's the math:

1675968832062.png

Depends upon your intended use. Do you plan take a lot of extended road trips? Maybe the SR would require a few more charging stops.

I've been researching the advantages of the new 4860 battery pack (which is in the SR model) over the 2170. There are several useful videos by Munro Associates. According to them, the battery technology and construction is vastly improved. I've tried to work out rough numbers, and it seems to me that Tesla intentionally limited the range of the initial offering of the 4860 battery pack by reducing the number of cells and/or though software constraints. This is just speculation on my part.

I ordered the MYLR when the price was $52990. If the MYSR were offered to me at $4000 less, I would be very tempted to switch over. Especially since it is so unclear regarding eligibility of the IRA Tax credit should I have to wait until March to take delivery.

Depends upon your intended use. Do you plan take a lot of extended road trips? Maybe the SR would require a few more charging stops.

I've been researching the advantages of the new 4860 battery pack (which is in the SR model) over the 2170. There are several useful videos by Munro Associates. According to them, the battery technology and construction is vastly improved. I've tried to work out rough numbers, and it seems to me that Tesla intentionally limited the range of the initial offering of the 4860 battery pack by reducing the number of cells and/or though software constraints. This is just speculation on my part.

I ordered the MYLR when the price was $52990. If the MYSR were offered to me at $4000 less, I would be very tempted to switch over. Especially since it is so unclear regarding eligibility of the IRA Tax credit should I have to wait until March to take delivery.
With the recent price increase of LR, it makes sense for a lot of folks to take the $4k discount if most of their driving is short distance.

Hi! I have my pick up scheduled for Saturday and I ordered on 1/13. My destination fee went from $1200 to $1390 even though I haven’t made any changes. Is that how it works?
Well, did you get the price cut on the MSRP?

To be fair, you'd still be saving a lot.

I have an EDD 15MAR to 30MAR. I was told that if I select the exact same car from inventory, I will suffer that 2% price increase. If this is true, then caution when selecting a car from inventory. Might be worth $$ to just be patient.
Here's the thing... those in inventory now are SRAWD, what was the price on it when you originally made your order?

PS... what 2%? It was $2k for MYLR from the price drop to $53k to current $55k (don't think you can find those in inventory right now though).

I have an EDD 15MAR to 30MAR. I was told that if I select the exact same car from inventory, I will suffer that 2% price increase. If this is true, then caution when selecting a car from inventory. Might be worth $$ to just be patient.
The sales customer support person that I spoke to over the phone said if they place the order for me, they would honor the pricing as of my custom order date and my deposit would be applied to new vehicle. Seems to be lots of inconsistencies regarding who you speak to at Tesla.

Reactions: fredzos
Well, did you get the price cut on the MSRP?

To be fair, you'd still be saving a lot.

Here's the thing... those in inventory now are SRAWD, what was the price on it when you originally made your order?

PS... what 2%? It was $2k for MYLR from the price drop to $53k to current $55k (don't think you can find those in inventory right now though).
Actually there are 7 MYSRs on route to the Phoenix region according to Tesla's website.

If your SA assigns Inventory car then you will get older price only. So better approach SA in that scenario.

Reactions: YisPatHere

With the recent price increase of LR, it makes sense for a lot of folks to take the $4k discount if most of their driving is short distance.
Have to wonder if in 10 years, the people that buy these 4680 pack cars will be happier than the LR 2170 buyers.

Weren't there reports that the 4680 cell is designed to be in the million mile pack while 2170 packs are 2-3 hundred k mile lifespan. ?
At 200Kmiles it will be interesting to see which body feels tighter the 2 giga casting integral pack or the more conventional 2170 car and if the 4680 pack is retaining the miles driven capability of a near new one.
Not much of a gambler and will keep my LR order.