Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will have to say, my initial impression of a direct to consumer and bypassing the haggling/dealing with a sales rep was a big positive. Then I experienced the rollercoaster of the EDD and updates, which honestly Tesla can easily smoothen out, and they should.

Granted, some of it is just eager anticipation.

Overall, I'd say there's some pros and cons, but not problem free or problem riddled compared with other car companies.
And which of these other companies are problem free?

I will have to say, my initial impression of a direct to consumer and bypassing the haggling/dealing with a sales rep was a big positive. Then I experienced the rollercoaster of the EDD and updates, which honestly Tesla can easily smoothen out, and they should.

Granted, some of it is just eager anticipation.

Overall, I'd say there's some pros and cons, but not problem free or problem riddled compared with other car companies.
Why I ordered a Tesla?

1. So that don’t have to ever, ever, ever walk into car dealership again.

2. $7500 Rebate

3. Everything else cool and great about the car overweights the cons (for me personally)

Would I like to have car tomorrow? Yes. Should I be more patient? Maybe 😂 I’m glad that we have this space where we can rant, love and hate the ordering process. At the end of the day I have no control of when I’ll be driving my Tesla but I’ll sure let you all know once I do.

If you never driven one, Hertz has them on their line up, every time that I travel for work I try to reserve and drive one. I usually select the model 3 because that’s the one I’m allowed to expense

Right now, I pay 10¢/kWh for electricity at home and $3.00/gallon for gasoline in Texas. A gasoline-powered vehicle that gets 30 MPG costs 10¢/mile. If I use a Supercharger and pay 50¢/kWh, that's 14¢/mile which is the equivalent of a gasoline-powered vehicle that gets 21 MPG. If I charge at home, I pay less than 3¢/mile.
I did the math with help from the EPA website which allows you to personalize fuel costs based on local prices for gas and electricity. I pay 30 cents/kWh at home in Connecticut, and gas is $3.06 per gallon at Costco now. At these rates, the MYLR I have on order will cost slightly more per mile for fuel than a new RAV4 hybrid. On road trip and in cold temps the MY will be even more expensive in fuel costs. I have to take fuel savings off my list of reasons to buy a Tesla. YMMV (literally) if you have access to cheaper electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
I did the math with help from the EPA website which allows you to personalize fuel costs based on local prices for gas and electricity. I pay 30 cents/kWh at home in Connecticut, and gas is $3.06 per gallon at Costco now. At these rates, the MYLR I have on order will cost slightly more per mile for fuel than a new RAV4 hybrid. On road trip and in cold temps the MY will be even more expensive in fuel costs. I have to take fuel savings off my list of reasons to buy a Tesla. YMMV (literally) if you have access to cheaper electricity.
I’m in NY in the NYC suburbs. My rate last month was 27.5c kw/h w/ all taxes and fees. Gas is $3.35 here, see if they have a time of use program. For me it’s 17c kw/h from 10p-6a and they up charge 3-7 m-f to 34c k w/h.

Why I ordered a Tesla?

1. So that don’t have to ever, ever, ever walk into car dealership again.

2. $7500 Rebate

3. Everything else cool and great about the car overweights the cons (for me personally)

Would I like to have car tomorrow? Yes. Should I be more patient? Maybe 😂 I’m glad that we have this space where we can rant, love and hate the ordering process. At the end of the day I have no control of when I’ll be driving my Tesla but I’ll sure let you all know once I do.

If you never driven one, Hertz has them on their line up, every time that I travel for work I try to reserve and drive one. I usually select the model 3 because that’s the one I’m allowed to expense
For me it was not having to pull into a gas station to pump gas. Especially in the Upstate NY winters, brrrrr. Now I just pull in my garage and plug it in, set a charging schedule, and go to bed. This is why we now own 3. And besides Teslas are fun to drive!
We still have a GMC Sierra because we have a camper to tow, but camping only happens in the warmer months.

Ouch, that's a high electricity rate. My friend tells me PGE rates in CA are even higher. APS (in Arizona) charges us 10.8 cents per kWh for off-peak, and 28.2 cents for on peak. Since on peak runs from 4pm to 7pm on weekdays, i will avoid charging my Tesla at that time.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Thanks. Pickup went well today. Arrived early at Springfield, NJ location to inspect vehicle ahead of time. One of the staff preparing vehicles told us they had 82 deliveries scheduled for today. We were able to look over the outside and inside before going in to hand over our cashiers check. I was nervous all week after hearing some of the issues that others encountered especially with Austin builds. The vehicle looked good to our untrained eyes. My only concern was that the odometer had over 30 miles, but I've bought other cars with that many miles so didn't think about it too much. After submitting the check we were told to go back to the car to fill out forms and drop it back inside when were done. Had a nice 45 minute drive home.

OD - 1/14/2023
VIN - 1/27/2023 - PA064 (built 1/26/2023)
Delivery - 2/11/2023
Congrats! According to Google, new cars may have up to 50 miles on the odometers.

Reactions: nj987
A very kind person listed a few options with links. I live in Chicago area so the floor mats is a must for us.
I have always bought the WeatherTech mats for our cars. I am wondering if anyone has tried both and which of the two are they most happy with. Seems that the WeatherTech has quite a few complaints on the driver’s side not extending up enough and only covering the foot-rest about half way up.

3D MAXpider All-Weather Floor Mats for Tesla Model Y​

2023 Tesla Model Y FloorLiner​

I’m having second thoughts now, and EDD is February 23 - March 2. I was planning on selling my car to Carvana ahead of time because the used car prices have been going down, but what if the MYLR comes, and I have to reject it? What if I have to reject it for a second time? I didn’t buy the wall connector yet or do any of the financing stuff in the app. I wish I would‘ve known what I wanted to do by now. Conflicted!

I’m having second thoughts now, and EDD is February 23 - March 2. I was planning on selling my car to Carvana ahead of time because the used car prices have been going down, but what if the MYLR comes, and I have to reject it? What if I have to reject it for a second time? I didn’t buy the wall connector yet or do any of the financing stuff in the app. I wish I would‘ve known what I wanted to do by now. Conflicted!
Forgot to mention that I also have a Fremont VIN. PF676 built on 2/8.

That's exactly what I had to think through when I got my VIN earlier this morning. This will be my wife's car so we decided to sell her car after we take the delivery. Just need to put more cash towards downpayment but once you sell your car and things go south, you won't be able to buy your old car back for the same price.