Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
MYLR Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Gemini
OD 1/14 1:00pm CST
EDD Originally gave Jan-March
EDD changed to Jan 26 - Feb 23 on 1/18
EDD changed to Feb 3- Feb 17 on 1/27
EDD changed to Feb 12-19 and VIN assigned at 8:30 pm 1/29
EDD changed to Feb 6-15 on 2/4
Text received to schedule delivery: 9:00 am (CST), Sunday, 2/5
Delivery Saturday, 2/11
VIN: PF668xxx

Delivery report:

We showed up at the Tesla dealership at our appointed time. We signed one page of paper for MN registration, then we accepted delivery in the app in order to unlock the car. I must admit that this was both easy and scary at the same time. More on this later.

The gaps and paint were nearly perfect on the car. The interior was very clean. All door gaskets were well aligned. There were 4 miles on the odometer. Mud flaps were installed on front wheels, and PPF was installed in front of rear wheels. The Fremont car came with matrix headlights and a rear cargo area shelf. Upon the drive home and after a few more drives at highway speeds, I could detect no whistles from the windows and no pulling from wheels. All in all, again, everything was nearly perfect.

I am reporting the following issues to Tesla, but even if they were ignored, I would be satisfied. As in my pre-delivery post, the rear wheel trims are slightly out of flush. I was able to look at several other Model Y’s, and most had similar trim alignment. So, I am guessing that mine are within “Tesla spec.” I did find one small scratch in the clear coat behind one rear wheel. It looks shallow enough that I could buff it out myself, but I’ll report it anyway. The charge port door opens but is slightly misaligned. In my opinion, all of these are minor issues. Photos are attached below.

More on the payment-delivery process: Although there are a lot of posts insisting on the use of a Cashier’s check, I simply used the Plaid electronic payment process. It was painless. My logic in this process was:

I. I am entering into this transaction with the desire to actually purchase a Tesla, so the ability to withhold payment if the first car was unacceptable seemed unnecessary. If I rejected the first vehicle, I still wanted to pay for and receive a Tesla.

II. Per the “Tesla” is holding your cash” argument while waiting for the next car, my Cashier’s check would have been issued from a checking account that paid 0.5% interest. Withholding payment for, say, two weeks would cost me about $11.50, which is less than the fees associated with issuing the check in the first place. In fact, I recall the Cashier’s check cost was about $35.00, so I come out ahead on costs even waiting 6 weeks for a replacement vehicle.

In the end, the paranoia about the whole delivery process seems overblown. Sure, Tesla should be doing a better job on quality control, but how many horror stories are there? One in 100? One in 1,000? Even fewer? I don’t mean to minimize those who have had a terrible experience, but are these cases skewing all of our expectations?

I’ll finish with a few comments for Tesla (as if they’d ever listen). The terse, minimalistic approach they have implemented, e.g., using an app to replace human interactions, may make things simple, but it also creates an unhealthy environment of “what will go wrong and how will I be screwed by Tesla?” The demand to “Accept” the car even before it is unlocked is just stupid; it produces high anxiety in the customer (justifiably so, given the QC problems with their cars). Tesla should have a way to put the payment in place but hold off on the actual transaction until the buyer is happy with the car. If so, boom, transaction is enabled and car is delivered. If not satisfied, the car is rejected, the payment is not yet made, and a replacement vehicle is found and delivered.

Sorry for the long post and thank you to forum members for the very valuable information provided. I’m checking out of the order/delivery thread but hope to interact again in the ownership experience threads!
View attachment 906824View attachment 906827View attachment 906825View attachment 906826
Good to see your MYLR had the mud flaps and PPF installed. Is this standard now or dependent on pick up location?

• Helpful
Reactions: DKS37
Also fyi, the dealership forced me to accept delivery before unlocking the car so those of you who plan to inspect the inside prior to accepting delivery are out of luck.
I had the same experience.. The door was locked and I asked "how do you expect me to accept the delivery without having an opportunity to look inside" . The dumb answer was something like "that's how we do it".

Also fyi, the dealership forced me to accept delivery before unlocking the car so those of you who plan to inspect the inside prior to accepting delivery are out of luck.
I think it varies, but my rep when I picked up was very nice and let me look for as long as I wanted to. They were busy with so many deliveries, they did not care.

Hello, to those that took delivery recently, could you confirm if your Model Y came with any charging cable converter or any other equipment/device related to charging?

Thank you
It just came with an adapter for non Tesla chargers. No mobile cable or charging devices. One can buy both online and at the SC if they are in stock. I already ordered and had installed today (perfect timing) a wall charger.

Picked it up today. They had it parked right near the front door of the service center. I arrived 15 minutes early and inspected the exterior for paint, as well as, fit and trim issues. I thought there might have been a paint issue where the front left windshield meets the frunk, but the SA wiped it off. Must have been some residue from the protective covering. Driving was great! I am so glad I bought a Tesla. Keep the faith, it will be worth it in the end.
Congratulations!

I had the same experience.. The door was locked and I asked "how do you expect me to accept the delivery without having an opportunity to look inside" . The dumb answer was something like "that's how we do it".
I am now more likely to refuse my MYLR delivery or try and get a P model if I find it is the lower 362-368 HP LR version from the VIN / rear motor code.

Any paint or panel alignment shortcoming will be secondary to me.

Once the VIN is issued and it is the 425 HP motor combo "or Up" all will be fine.

Maybe the lower HP motors were switched to higher power on the "newest" Model MYLR production.??

Just saw the news and changed from LR to Performance.
White/Blk
Order date was 1/21 and EDD was 3/15-3/31 for the LR. EDD has not updated yet.

Update as of 2/5:
Delivery date changed from the above to 2/16-3/2. Took less than 48 hours after changing from LR to P for the updated delivery date.
I should really get my loan process started now 😃
EDD is still 2/16 and no Vin. I'm hoping at this point I get a vin and delivery a day apart like some of my fellow Californians.

I am now more likely to refuse my MYLR delivery or try and get a P model if I find it is the lower 362-368 HP LR version from the VIN / rear motor code.

Any paint or panel alignment shortcoming will be secondary to me.

Once the VIN is issued and it is the 425 HP motor combo "or Up" all will be fine.

Maybe the lower HP motors were switched to higher power on the "newest" Model MYLR production.??
I have my vin # how do I tell how much HP my Tesla has?

When I picked up my MYLR in Charlotte, NC they pulled the car around, unlocked it and let me inspect the whole vehicle. They were most accommodating. Must be a regional thing or maybe the service reps who don't want to spend any extra time with customers.

When I picked up my MYLR in Charlotte, NC they pulled the car around, unlocked it and let me inspect the whole vehicle. They were most accommodating. Must be a regional thing or maybe the service reps who don't want to spend any extra time with customers.
Not to be too insulting to some folks, but who knows, maybe the agent was responding to the customer’s behavior.

I have my vin # how do I tell how much HP my Tesla has?
I think it has to have a 3D5, 3D1, rear motor to be 425 HP or more which a member posted earlier in this thread.
The 3D3 front and 3D3 rear will give the ~365 HP.

There was a post that detailed where in the VIN the rear motor code is

from another members post

3D5 front and 3D1 rear = 512hp
3D5 front and 3D5 rear = 482hp
3D3 front and 3D1 rear = 455hp
3D3 front and 3D5 rear = 425hp
3D3 front and 3D3 rear = 368hp

Any code but the 3D3 in the rear motor position in the above list is fine with me.

A few members have received the new 4D1 hairpin motor in their MYLR, like member JCLJorgenson

Could be wrong, but it is Hard for me to believe 365 HP in a 4300+ vehicle will run a 4.8 second to 60 MPH, again jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgw210