Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[I know this is long, but I’m honestly interested in your answers to my questions.]

I’m glad you asked and that you feel this way because it gives you and I a chance to continue this conversation while we twiddle our thumbs waiting for our cars. Plus, it allows me to think this through and gives the true experts in the forum a chance to correct me.

No, I don’t work at Tesla but I have a smidgen of OR studies and enough mfg & engineering experience to think I know how a factory works. So let’s do a thought experiment and see what you would do. (Of course, my numbers are for illustration only, but the process is real.)

You purchase the Acme Car Company. I’ve been the Acme factory mgr for the past 10 years. My objective has been factory efficiency. Your objective is to respect your customers by scheduling orders in a strict FIFO sequence.

At the time of your purchase of the Acme Car Company:
-- We have one paint line in the factory (of course factories may have more but my point remains the same.)
-- We offer 5 colors.
-- The factory works five days a week, 11 hours per day.
-- We batch paint colors: On Mondays we paint white, Tuesdays blue, Wednesdays grey, etc.
-- We mfg 10 cars / day, 50 cars per week (i.e., one car per hour of mfg time.)
-- It takes one hour to reconfigure the paint line from one color to the next. That is done in the 11th hour of each day. From a cost acc’t perspective, the COGS of each car built that day is burdened with 1/10th of that downtime.

The day after you purchase the company you tell me to mfg the cars in the sequence in which customers ordered. You then ask me how many cars we will we build in a week. How many do you think? To give you an answer I ask you to predict the quantity of each color and the pattern in which the orders will arrive. I ask you how many times will I have to change paint colors in a day.

If you can answer those questions, I’ll tell you two things: 1) The number of cars we can build / week. 2) Whether or not you, I and the rest of the workers will be able to put food on our table within a month.

But wait, don’t answer yet.

We’ve got to layer on a little accounting and the fact that twenty other people funded your purchase of Acme Car Company. Those 20 are shareholders like you. It is now March 27, near the end of the fiscal quarter. Your shareholders are pressuring you for a return on their investment with a showing of Q/Q growth rate of 8%.

But, FASB regulations stipulate that Acme’s revrec occurs at customer delivery, not the factory exit.
-- Our car carrying trucks handle 10 cars at a time.
-- Delivery to NYC is 5 days from build date.
-- Delivery to SF is same day as build date.

All 10 of the SF customers ordered before the 10 NYC customers. If on March 27 you build the 10 SF customer cars and on March 28 you build the 10 NYC cars, the NYC customers will not take delivery before quarter end and your Q/Q growth will be an anemic 2%.

Now, what is YOUR decision? Do we fulfill your objective of respecting customers and build and deliver according to the sequence in which we receive customer orders? Or not?
Guys, guys, and gals….we all getting our Teslas, let’s not forget.

Whether a day more or a day less, really makes no difference. You obviously need to be super thankful in life if you can put this much energy into complaining about this problem. Some of us are going through real stuff which makes this “problem” feel like a welcome distraction, just a little something positive to look forward to.

Please relax, we all getting our Teslas…

Guys, guys, and gals….we all getting our Teslas, let’s not forget.

Whether a day more or a day less, really makes no difference. You obviously need to be super thankful in life if you can put this much energy into complaining about this problem. Some of us are going through real stuff which makes this “problem” feel like a welcome distraction, just a little something positive to look forward to.

Please relax, we all getting our Teslas…
100%

Demand and Teslas agile environment is probably the reason for the "dynamic" scheduling, however it would certainly reduce the level of agita if Tesla could keep us updated as to what is going on and why - we as customers have our own schedules/commitments too. Of course the level of annoyance corresponds to the level of desire for these vehicles...

Last edited:
Reactions: ATG1 and YisPatHere
Vin assigned today. Sadly its a Freemont, meaning I should be expecting tons of quality issues. Oh well.
Austin has just as many poor quality reports. But just remember we only hear about the bad ones for the most part. When I picked up my car I had a quick inspection of 9 others on the lot (all Fremont as Austin don't come to Canada) and all of them looked great (of course didn't get to see the inside of them).

Reactions: geekfam and erktrek
Atlanta area here
OD: 1/25/2023 7 PM EST
MY MSM/White interior/20'induction wheels no tow
1st EDD: Jan-March
2nd EDD: 3/21-3/31
3rd EDD: 3/15-3/30
4th EDD (today at 9 AM EST): 2/23-3/23
Ive been seeing people get deliveries with white interiors now so hopefully thats a good sign. I have a feeling that vins should be coming soon for people that ordered around 1/20-1/30 in the next couple of weeks.
You are lucky

Reactions: erktrek
My wild guess, let me know if this make sense...
Seems most of today's pushouts are with Black interior and today also some folks with white interior received their VINs.
Until yesterday White interior with 1/13 - 1/55 OD are waiting where as 1/18 OD black interior are getting VNI's.

Changing to White interior may improve the date :)
Don't think so
OOD 1/18 registration confirmed same day.

W/W no other options
Also pushed to the end of March.

You are lucky
i'm not getting my hopes up because the EDD can bounce around but mine has been consistent hasnt been fluctuating. And my SA texted me saying that these dates come from the factory so its the most accurate out of all sources. I was tempted to change my seats to black from white but my SA told me to stay put and not change a thing so hopefully their advice pays off.

They usually are assigned at the factory either the day they finish production or the day after. However, some report that in eastern states they get assigned once at the delivery center. I'm not certain if that is a standard thing for further away locations or just that those people ended up getting a VIN from someone who backed out of delivery and VIN was reassigned with car already at the delivery center. I would think Portland would have VIN assigned at factory. But then again, 600 teslas sitting in a lot seems odd.
I am in the northeast and my VIN was assigned today but my delivery is two weeks out. So clearly, its being assigned when its either built or is ready for transportation. There is no way that its at the delivery center and they will wait for two weeks to deliver.

On February 7, I received the following email from Tower.
We have conditionally approved your request for a Vehicle Loan for $XXX with the interest rate of 2.240% based on information you provided regarding income, and the credit information we obtained with your permission.
Then, I applied for the membership with $35 donation. I have not heard anything. Am I still getting 2.2%? I heard that Tower dramatically increased the rate a few days ago.
My delivery date for Model Y LR is February 20. I have 5.34% Tesla Loan with Wells Fargo though.
If the CU is not timely enough for you, you could us the Tesla financing and then refinance with the credit union after the fact, if they will still honor the lower rate. Something you may want to check with them. I have often taken a dealer's financing to get out the door with their best price, only to refinance with a credit union a month or two later.

Reactions: fredzos
I am in the northeast and my VIN was assigned today but my delivery is two weeks out. So clearly, its being assigned when its either built or is ready for transportation. There is no way that its at the delivery center and they will wait for two weeks to deliver.
i don't know for sure but i heard that it could take a couple of weeks for cars to ship to the east coast. I watched a video on youtube with Elon speaking and thats what he said..and usually it gets shipped via train then on a 18 wheeler truck to the delivery center.

Any idea what's going on with deliveries of MYSR? I am assuming that since these are going to be exclusively built out of Gigafactory Texas, the queue for these cars is going to look different from MYP or MYLR?

MYSR - White/Black/20"
OD: 2/3
EDD1: 2/21 - 3/21
EDD2 (updated 2/10): Feb - March 2023