Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Tesla representative today and she told me the deadline for $7500 credit is March 31, 2023 unless IRS change it. I wont be getting mine till April May 22 my OD was 01/23. So I will be thinking to keep 2nd option open for used car now and will decide later on EV.

MYLR :
OD 1/13 for a 7 seater
EDD1 Feb-Mar
02/08 updated configuration to 5 seater
EDD2 Mar-May
02/15 Added registration
EDD3 April-Jun

Seems like Tesla is looking to push your order for any little change you make :(

Now no guarantee I would be eligible for 7500 rebate after March and may have to cancel if I don't :(
Hi Sam,
First, let me say it sucks they pushed you so far back in line.

I am no tax expert. But I did my own "research" last night on the rebate. Some of this I already knew, but other stuff I did not. So do you regularly pay over $7500 in Federal tax's each year? This $7500 is only a tax liability credit. So if you owe $5000 when you do your 2023 taxes next spring then you will get $5000 credit from that $7500.
Also, what is happening in March with the IRS is a bit of an unknown. They pushed the rules out until March so they can make a final decisions one the extra rules. But it looks like there is a 2 part component to the tax rebate once they make a ruling sometime in March. These newer rules which are not 100% yet, are on top of the current rules they have in place with price caps on vehicle types and income your family makes. These newer rules below focus on the battery manufacturing process.

1)A certain amount of the batteries minerals have to be processed here in the United States or with Trade Free partner countries based off of percentages and years. Starting with 2023 at 50%, 2024 60% and all the way up to 70% in 2026, then 80% after that.
2)At least 50% of the batteries in the EV must be manufactured in the United States. This also scales up year by year. 60% in 2024 and all the way up to 100% in 2029.

Source: Why the $7,500 EV tax credit may be tougher to get starting in March

Uh no I wouldn't anything like that... 😱

This is what I see on the webpage.. maybe I'm missing something?

View attachment 907880

Also make sure you didn't get logged out inadvertently..

edit: @kfc2 brings up a great point about financing versus paying cash (see their post below)..

I am not seeing Edit option

1676566973061.png

I have same EDD as you. In a text exchange with SA a few days ago, they said EDD was 2/26. We will see.
what was the OD ? did you get VIN assigned for MYAWD ? is this in NJ ? I have 2 orders in queue one ordered originally MYLR on Jan 18 EDD is Feb 28-Mar 28 as per SA it should be around march 9. other order i placed recently for MYAWD on Feb 10 did receive VIN but EDD is Feb 22-Mar 22. did receive rebate related email as well on Feb 13..hoping to get at least 1 MY before Feb 28

I spoke with Tesla representative today and she told me the deadline for $7500 credit is March 31, 2023 unless IRS change it. I wont be getting mine till April May 22 my OD was 01/23. So I will be thinking to keep 2nd option open for used car now and will decide later on EV.
There is no “deadline”.
During March, the IRS will issue a statement regarding half of the credit. 3,750 is pretty much guaranteed, the other half is based on battery materials source. What the IRS does is anybody’s guess, they may put the rule into effect later in the year, or not put any rule into effect, or put in a rule which later gets taken down as they did with the $55k price cap.

Folks - for those concerned about a $3750 credit, consider this - the MYLR price has gone up $2k since 1/13. Do you see the trend?

those with an existing order - Wait it out, don’t jump until things are clearer.

Those on the fence - place your orders, $250 is nothing compared to loosing out on this good deal.

For those thinking MY price will drop consider that a cheaper single motor version in US was discontinued after a few months due to high demand of dual motor. If it gets reintroduced - kiss any dual motor price decreases good bye

Hi Sam,

I am no tax expert. But I did my own "research" last night on the rebate. Some of this I already knew, but other stuff I did not. So do you regularly pay over $7500 in Federal tax's each year? This $7500 is only a tax liability credit. So if you owe $5000 when you do your 2023 taxes next spring then you will get $5000 credit from that $7500.
Also, what is happening in March with the IRS is a bit of an unknown. They pushed the rules out until March so they can make a final decisions one the extra rules. But it looks like there is a 2 part component to the tax rebate once they make a ruling sometime in March. These newer rules which are not 100% yet, are on top of the current rules they have in place with price caps on vehicle types and income your family makes. These newer rules below focus on the battery manufacturing process.

1)A certain amount of the batteries minerals have to be processed here in the United States or with Trade Free partner countries based off of percentages and years. Starting with 2023 at 50%, 2024 60% and all the way up to 70% in 2026, then 80% after that.
2)At least 50% of the batteries in the EV must be manufactured in the United States. This also scales up year by year. 60% in 2024 and all the way up to 100% in 2029.

Lo and behold they just assigned me a VIN and asking me to schedule pickup by next week. I am not even ready since I am travelling as well as I have to start planning for charger installtion at home and financing. I am really glas but I also hope it's not a reject from someone. Now if I can't schedule for next week pickup would they cancel or let me choose a schedule time in March when I have all my ducks in order? Thanks

Reactions: SANTRI
Hi Sam,

The tax liability isn’t based on what you owe at tax time but rather your total tax liability for the year.