Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my VIN today via TXT PF692 Fremont build. Delivery to NY Mt. Kisco. Asking SA for build date.

OD 1/16 (Tesla doc has 1/17)
MYLR5 W/B/19"/Tow (Changed to W/B from B/B with TXT 510# to SA few days after OD)
EDD1 (1/18) 2/12-3/19
EDD2 (2/5) 2/19-3/19
EDD3 (2/17) 3/3-3/10
VIN (2/17) PF692

PS Tesla app requires insurance showing Tesla VIN number at least here in NY. So, my current insurance does not look like enough for pick up. I have Geico but going to check a few other options before deciding
NYLI here
I had GEICO - they wanted $800 extra per year for switching to MY -
I ended up switching to State Farm (I already had home policy). After bundling, I will pay same premium as I used to (for non-MY), with higher limits, compared to GEICO.

We are in the same town, Picking up tomorrow at Naperville. OD 1/14 MYLR no options.
I called Naperville and told them I was gonna tell you that they are closed due to the snow and ice we got here. They told me that would still not allow me to get your car and how wrong that would be of me doing that. 😈 Kidding, of course. Enjoy your new car. I look forward to seeing you on the highway in your new car.

• Funny
Reactions: FanboyNC and just_y
Got my VIN today via TXT PF692 Fremont build. Delivery to NY Mt. Kisco. Asking SA for build date.

OD 1/16 (Tesla doc has 1/17)
MYLR5 W/B/19"/Tow (Changed to W/B from B/B with TXT 510# to SA few days after OD)
EDD1 (1/18) 2/12-3/19
EDD2 (2/5) 2/19-3/19
EDD3 (2/17) 3/3-3/10
VIN (2/17) PF692

PS Tesla app requires insurance showing Tesla VIN number at least here in NY. So, my current insurance does not look like enough for pick up. I have Geico but going to check a few other options before deciding
Just call GEICO and have them add the car to your policy and make the effective date whichever is closest to your delivery window. If it’s off a few days, you will be ok, if it’s a week or so, then change the date. Once they email you your new card, upload into the Tesla app, make sure it has the scannable barcode. Easy Peasy 😊

NYLI here
I had GEICO - they wanted $800 extra per year for switching to MY -
I ended up switching to State Farm (I already had home policy). After bundling, I will pay same premium as I used to (for non-MY), with higher limits, compared to GEICO.
Yep, dropped GEICO, they didn’t like 3 Teslas on our policy. Went with USAA and saved $1000 a year.

Reactions: msinfo
MYLR Blue/Black int
OD: 1/26
EDD: March 21 - March 31
No VIN yet

I do not want to jinx myself.....I have not had any updates to the EDD. I am wondering how long on average others have had their EDD updated since the intial order.

Also, I spoke to a manager this AM. There is a car that matches mine to the letter in Ohio. She cautioned that I might be taxed both in OH and then when I register here in IL, I might be taxed again. She needed to look into that to confirm. Also I would have to pay for the price increase that occured after my order date. Being taxed twice plus the higher price would wipe out any tax advantage for me (loss of the $7,500 tax credit).

She did seem optomistic that I will receive my car earlier than later. Fingers are crossed.

You sure? The used ICE vehicle market is pretty stable. Existing EV values could easily be diminished if a substantially improved battery technology were to come to market in that time. I think anyone who is counting on the current-generation EVs holding their value could be setting themselves up for disappointment. I'm looking forward to EVs continuing to become better and more affordable.
Some market experts are forecasting challenges with ICE vehicle sales as EVs become more popular. Consider the volume and popularity of EVs five years ago. Look at Tesla today as they are 17% of all new car sales in California. Automakers like GM and Ford are advertising today many new EVs in moderate volume in 2024 through 2026. With the rapid increase in EVs, who will want the older technology knowing it is getting more obsolescent every year?

No look at the halo effect on other parts of the automotive industry. How many gas stations will go under? How much will EV charging infrastructure improve with Tesla rapidly expanding their infrastructure along with federal investment? How many people will wait an extra year to two to save up for the EV rather than buy a new or used ICE vehicle? How many more people will overcome the resistance to an EV as drive one?

There will be a market for ICE vehicles in five years. I just believe the issue will be a glut of used ICE vehicles as people continue to choose to replace them with EVs.

and ... EDD updated from 2/16-3/16 to 2/24-3/10. At least it is a narrower window.

Last edited:
That does not seem correct - "5YJ" is Freemont Factory - "7SA" is Freemont factory for the previous model year for 3s & Ys.. and the 4th digit would be the model "Model X" in this case. At least according to this website.
Yes, I wasn't aware that X (and S) also use the 5YJ. And yes older MY used 5YJ but have used 7SAY since November 10, 2021. M3 has never used 7SA to my knowledge. Factory code is 11th digit A or F. M3 has never been made in A.
So if the VIN decoders say MX then that must be correct.

EDIT: That VIN looks to be a 2016 MX 7 seater.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek
Yep, dropped GEICO, they didn’t like 3 Teslas on our policy. Went with USAA and saved $1000 a year.
To get USAA you must have military affiliation? My brother has, but parents didn't. No other way to join USAA? Have gotten quotes from 4-5 companies, so far Progressive is lowest for me in AZ (no negatives on my record). I already have my BMW bike with Progressive so the multi-policy helps.

There is no dealers in Alabama. Nashville, Memphis or Atlanta are our closest. Its getting transferred to Nashville from Ohio and Ill pick it up there. Yes I have a Service Advisor at the Nashville location. I have not even ever waited on hold for more than 5 minutes. They don't give out extensions or anything, they just give you the main number. press 1 -> press one again -> say purchase inventory -> and it connects you
would you mind sharing the number?

Not sure about the double tax thing but you should not have to pay the increased cost if your SA knows what she is doing. As long as she properly transfers that inventory car to your existing RN# you will have grandfathered pricing from your order date.
The person I spoke to is a manager in their regional office. I have read where others have been succesful in having their original price honored when they pick from a car that is available in inventory. They are lucky! The Chat person also said that I would have to pay the higher price, which prompted my call to the regional manager. Grrrrrrrrrr. I am happy for the others though. Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: dethspade
There is no dealers in Alabama. Nashville, Memphis or Atlanta are our closest. Its getting transferred to Nashville from Ohio and Ill pick it up there. Yes I have a Service Advisor at the Nashville location. I have not even ever waited on hold for more than 5 minutes. They don't give out extensions or anything, they just give you the main number. press 1 -> press one again -> say purchase inventory -> and it connects you
Thank you for the details.

MYLR Blue/Black int
OD: 1/26
EDD: March 21 - March 31
No VIN yet

I do not want to jinx myself.....I have not had any updates to the EDD. I am wondering how long on average others have had their EDD updated since the intial order.

Also, I spoke to a manager this AM. There is a car that matches mine to the letter in Ohio. She cautioned that I might be taxed both in OH and then when I register here in IL, I might be taxed again. She needed to look into that to confirm. Also I would have to pay for the price increase that occured after my order date. Being taxed twice plus the higher price would wipe out any tax advantage for me (loss of the $7,500 tax credit).

She did seem optomistic that I will receive my car earlier than later. Fingers are crossed.
My OD also 1/26 (evening so they called it 1/27 (Tucson)
Initial EDD: Feb-Mar, then updated to 3/16-3/31 a few days later and has stayed there since.
No VIN

Seeing a bunch of folks who ordered around 1/15-1/17 getting VIN's this week. Really hoping mine doesn't get pushed out as some have into May as we leave AZ for ME in May and that would require cancelling my order and "trying" to find a hybrid or something somewhere on a dealer lot which would really suck! I sold our vehicle last week since Tesla's trade offer sucked so bad ($9K more selling privately). Will just have to do grocery shopping a little more often on my motorcycle! :cool:

What number did you call to speak with a live person? As far as tax, most states would waive the sales tax if you show residency in another state. It all comes down to where you register it... they're gonna get you there for sales tax. Sometimes you have to file a waiver of sorts in the other state that says you'll pay sales tax in your home state.

Reactions: Nen81