Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some market experts are forecasting challenges with ICE vehicle sales as EVs become more popular. Consider the volume and popularity of EVs five years ago. Look at Tesla today as they are 17% of all new car sales in California. Automakers like GM and Ford are advertising today many new EVs in moderate volume in 2024 through 2026. With the rapid increase in EVs, who will want the older technology knowing it is getting more obsolescent every year?

No look at the halo effect on other parts of the automotive industry. How many gas stations will go under? How much will EV charging infrastructure improve with Tesla rapidly expanding their infrastructure along with federal investment? How many people will wait an extra year to two to save up for the EV rather than buy a new or used ICE vehicle? How many more people will overcome the resistance to an EV as drive one?

There will be a market for ICE vehicles in five years. I just believe the issue will be a glut of used ICE vehicles as people continue to choose to replace them with EVs.

and ... EDD updated from 2/16-3/16 to 2/24-3/10. At least it is a narrower window.
I think that the there will be a glut of used EVs on the market in 5 years. Right now, when I search for a used Model3 I get a ton of hits. Searching for a used Santa Fe limited may get 5 or 6 max. Many people who can afford to pay a large $ amount for EVs are buying them now. Some are replacing their older EV models. Most Americans cannot afford those prices. The switch to the mostly EV market is not happening in 5 or 10 years. It will take decades.

My friend in the Netherlands says that electricity has gotten so expensive it costs more to charge his Audi EV than an ice car. As the demand for electricity increases, that will lower the desire for an EV.

Yes, I wasn't aware that X (and S) also use the 5YJ. And yes older MY used 5YJ but have used 7SAY since November 10, 2021. M3 has never used 7SA to my knowledge. Factory code is 11th digit A or F. M3 has never been made in A.
So if the VIN decoders say MX then that must be correct.

EDIT: That VIN looks to be a 2016 MX 7 seater.
🤣 - I just inspected my order page and ended up with a very similar # so it might be a placeholder or something else.

You should download the Tesla ap and login. There under a pic of the car you ordered, it should say "complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery". Click the "complete" button and it'll take you to where you complete registration information, any trade in, financing info. And eventually scheduling, insurance and final payment.
The process is only completed in the Tesla app for buyers in the US.

If you’re outside of the US you get a “Go to account” button which takes you to the website. You then select “Manage” and you’ll have 4 steps to go through. I believe you have to complete at least “Delivery location” and “Registration” to get in line. “Trade-in” and “Payment Method” should be able to be completed later. But I’m still waiting for a VIN with an OD of Jan 14 so maybe I’m wrong. 🤣

Attachments

• D1472630-2E0C-4DE5-B13A-E8E033D5B68B.jpeg
    D1472630-2E0C-4DE5-B13A-E8E033D5B68B.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 369A09B6-E90D-4FAD-986C-3E5687C4705B.jpeg
    369A09B6-E90D-4FAD-986C-3E5687C4705B.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 58
  • 8B78A2D1-70FC-4EE1-9FA4-1AF918E40F8E.jpeg
    8B78A2D1-70FC-4EE1-9FA4-1AF918E40F8E.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 55
Would switching to a Blue/Black with 20" boost my EDD? I know it is tough to have a definite answer on this but it would be really helpful if someone with similar configuration share their EDD? Or maybe just tell if their EDDs were pushed back or pumped up on 2/14?

Reactions: hp1234
To get USAA you must have military affiliation? My brother has, but parents didn't. No other way to join USAA? Have gotten quotes from 4-5 companies, so far Progressive is lowest for me in AZ (no negatives on my record). I already have my BMW bike with Progressive so the multi-policy helps.
Correct. It has to be a parent grandparent or spouse that served.

Reactions: erktrek
Would switching to a Blue/Black with 20" boost my EDD? I know it is tough to have a definite answer on this but it would be really helpful if someone with similar configuration share their EDD? Or maybe just tell if their EDDs were pushed back or pumped up on 2/14?

I was told that the 19in wheels were an issue a couple of weeks ago but that has been corrected... so I would doubt it would change things much. Also look a the inventory on waitingfortesla... almost all of them have 19in now

My OD also 1/26 (evening so they called it 1/27 (Tucson)
Initial EDD: Feb-Mar, then updated to 3/16-3/31 a few days later and has stayed there since.
No VIN

Seeing a bunch of folks who ordered around 1/15-1/17 getting VIN's this week. Really hoping mine doesn't get pushed out as some have into May as we leave AZ for ME in May and that would require cancelling my order and "trying" to find a hybrid or something somewhere on a dealer lot which would really suck! I sold our vehicle last week since Tesla's trade offer sucked so bad ($9K more selling privately). Will just have to do grocery shopping a little more often on my motorcycle! :cool:

What number did you call to speak with a live person? As far as tax, most states would waive the sales tax if you show residency in another state. It all comes down to where you register it... they're gonna get you there for sales tax. Sometimes you have to file a waiver of sorts in the other state that says you'll pay sales tax in your home state.
My OD - 1/14 Loc - Dallas, TX
EDD - 1/28 - 2/10
Upgraded Interior on 1/25
EDD changed on 1/31 to 2/20 - 3/20
Changed Exterior from white to MSM on 12/12.
EDD stayed same but was nervous, may EDD slips again.

Called 888 number and spoke with SA, she told the car is in production line and it will take 2 weeks to be delivered. She also told I can reach out to them through order confirmation text we got (510) for additional information.

Hope this helps...

MYLR Blue/Black int
OD: 1/26
EDD: March 21 - March 31
No VIN yet

I do not want to jinx myself.....I have not had any updates to the EDD. I am wondering how long on average others have had their EDD updated since the intial order.

Also, I spoke to a manager this AM. There is a car that matches mine to the letter in Ohio. She cautioned that I might be taxed both in OH and then when I register here in IL, I might be taxed again. She needed to look into that to confirm. Also I would have to pay for the price increase that occured after my order date. Being taxed twice plus the higher price would wipe out any tax advantage for me (loss of the $7,500 tax credit).

She did seem optomistic that I will receive my car earlier than later. Fingers are crossed.
Good luck I donot trust these clowns. mine pushed out to April 10 - May 22. OD Date 01/23.

NYLI here
I had GEICO - they wanted $800 extra per year for switching to MY -
I ended up switching to State Farm (I already had home policy). After bundling, I will pay same premium as I used to (for non-MY), with higher limits, compared to GEICO.
Gieco is owned by Buffet. He does not like Tesla because they own BYD. He particularly does not like Tesla Insurance because a large portion of their investments are in Insurance companies. Not saying there is any conspiracy going on here but its funny that Gieco quotes crazy rates for Tesla.

Reactions: WyoDude
Correct. It has to be a parent grandparent or spouse that served.
It's not quite that simple. :)

Grandchildren are eligible for USAA membership, but only if their parents (the son/daughter of the grandparent who served in the military/met the eligibility requirements from above) established a membership with USAA.

Does your Mom or Dad have USAA membership, established thanks to your grandparent? Then you can get membership.

Your grandparent never signed up for USAA? You’ll need to do the following before you become eligible for USAA membership:

• Have your grandparent sign up for USAA membership
  • Have your parent sign up for USAA membership

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude and erktrek
I was told that the 19in wheels were an issue a couple of weeks ago but that has been corrected... so I would doubt it would change things much. Also look a the inventory on waitingfortesla... almost all of them have 19in now
Thank you for that input. Certainly helps. Specially the fact that inventory is coming in with 19" which implies that they are out of order or at max capacity for 20" wheels. Changing can push me to the rear end of the queue. However, I still wonder if changing color can help or not? 🤔

My OD also 1/26 (evening so they called it 1/27 (Tucson)
Initial EDD: Feb-Mar, then updated to 3/16-3/31 a few days later and has stayed there since.
No VIN

Seeing a bunch of folks who ordered around 1/15-1/17 getting VIN's this week. Really hoping mine doesn't get pushed out as some have into May as we leave AZ for ME in May and that would require cancelling my order and "trying" to find a hybrid or something somewhere on a dealer lot which would really suck! I sold our vehicle last week since Tesla's trade offer sucked so bad ($9K more selling privately). Will just have to do grocery shopping a little more often on my motorcycle! :cool:

What number did you call to speak with a live person? As far as tax, most states would waive the sales tax if you show residency in another state. It all comes down to where you register it... they're gonna get you there for sales tax. Sometimes you have to file a waiver of sorts in the other state that says you'll pay sales tax in your home state.
My fingers are crossed just as yours is. I did the same selling the car I drive to a private buyer. $4,500 more than what Tesla was offering. I might have to ride my Vespa for shopping. In Chicago and this snow that could prove interesting.

I dialed the 800 number and got transferred. I might run up to the DMV to inquire about the tax. Thanks.

Gieco is owned by Buffet. He does not like Tesla because they own BYD. He particularly does not like Tesla Insurance because a large portion of their investments are in Insurance companies. Not saying there is any conspiracy going on here but its funny that Gieco quotes crazy rates for Tesla.
I also think this makes sense. Insurance companies are always shifting, if they want to get out a state, region, etc or away from a specific type of house, vehicle, they just raise the prices and let attrition work.

Buffet is deliberately turning away easy money insuring Tesla cars because he owns shares in a car company in China? Congratulations, you're a moron!

It's not quite that simple. :)

Grandchildren are eligible for USAA membership, but only if their parents (the son/daughter of the grandparent who served in the military/met the eligibility requirements from above) established a membership with USAA.

Does your Mom or Dad have USAA membership, established thanks to your grandparent? Then you can get membership.

Your grandparent never signed up for USAA? You’ll need to do the following before you become eligible for USAA membership:

• Have your grandparent sign up for USAA membership
  • Have your parent sign up for USAA membership
It’s kinda what I said but in layman’s terms. This is a Tesla forum so I didn’t feel I had to give a lesson in how USAA works 😂

I got my tesla wall connecter installed today. Now its sinking in that i will have my car in a couple of weeks. If you are planning to get a wall connector and youre in the atlanta (gwinnett area) hit up Arc Angel Electric. The customer service was spectacular and quality of work top notch. They even warranty their work... P.S. i thought i was going to have conduit showing on the wall for the install but he made it to where there was no need for conduit. Clean look. I was very impressed.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 72