Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours was installed for free!
We used to have a hot tub on our deck, we sold it. So we took existing wire and 50 amp breaker and installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet. No problems with my Lectron chsrger after 2 years and it charges all 3 Teslas just fine.
Told hubby I will eventually invest in a Tesla wall charger since we have 3 now.
I'm not an electrician, but I did the same thing sort of. Well I tried anyway. I re-used the 6-3 NM-B wire to wire up my Tesla charger. The inspector failed the inspection. I did not know that wire is rated by temperature it can handle. The higher the temp rating the higher the amperage it can handle. Most big box stores that sell 6-3 is going to be NM-B and rated at 60C with max load of of 55amps which is fine for NEMA 14-50. Tesla charger requires a 60amp breaker and therefore needs wire to be rated for at least 60amps. So I had to get THHN wire in flexible metal conduit from Southwire which is rated at 90C with max amps of 75. So much for re-using the hot tub wire, I had to pull it and save it for something else someday LoL. Luckily my power company has a $750 rebate for installing Tier 2 EV chargers!

Source: Cerrowire Resources - Ampacity Charts

Reactions: 3YMimi73 and msinfo
Last night, logged into my account before sleep and just checked if there is any vehicle available for quick delivery. Found MYLR Red/White/19”/Tow at Mt Kisko, NY

Edited my original blue selection to match these specs hoping to put an end to Tesla’s EDD changes and waiting drama. VIN updated in my app in 1 min at 11 pm. Got text and email at 7 AM this morning that VIN is assigned and another text and email at 9 AM to schedule delivery.

Pick-up scheduled for Feb 24th.
Is the price the same as when you ordered or a few $k more now?

I'm not an electrician, but I did the same thing sort of. Well I tried anyway. I re-used the 6-3 NM-B wire to wire up my Tesla charger. The inspector failed the inspection. I did not know that wire is rated by temperature it can handle. The higher the temp rating the higher the amperage it can handle. Most big box stores that sell 6-3 is going to be NM-B and rated at 60C with max load of of 55amps which is fine for NEMA 14-50. Tesla charger requires a 60amp breaker and therefore needs wire to be rated for at least 60amps. So I had to get THHN wire in flexible metal conduit from Southwire which is rated at 90C with max amps of 75. So much for re-using the hot tub wire, I had to pull it and save it for something else someday LoL. Luckily my power company has a $750 rebate for installing Tier 2 EV chargers!

So, first a disclaimer. I am about to do the wall charger install but have not done my research yet. What would happen in your case if you installed a 50AMP breaker in the panel? Would inspector allow 6-3 NM-B 55Amp wire? I think he would have to, no? And, yes, you would have to limit the wall charger to under 50Amps so it does not flip the breaker but TBH I am not planning on letting the car pull even 50Amps from the wall charger b/c that is all I have in my garage and want to make sure there is juice left for garage opener and tools. Of course YMMV.

This is the best deal in wire, it's UF made for outdoors but can be used indoors. It's harder to pull and strip but almost half the price of 6/3 romex and it's better as the sheeting is made for direct burial.

Southwire 50 ft. 6/3 Gray Stranded CU UF-B W/G Wire 14782722 - The Home Depot

Reactions: msinfo
Glad some people have luck with the text number. I've texted multiple times since 1/26 and received zero response.

You guys keep mentioning texting SA. Just pick up the phone and call Tesla customer service. It’s much easier. They’ll call you back if you don’t want to hold.

Are you afraid you might get your baby mama on the line or something?

• Funny
Reactions: BailMY
Congrats! Great find. This post made me go look again. There are a few available in Tucson/Phoenix, even a blue one with a tow hitch, but all are SR. We travel back and forth from AZ to ME and the LR is really a must for us and none to be seen here.

You must have had a little apprehension in changing your order? With my luck, I'd make the edits and get bumped out to June, which would really suck since we leave for Maine in mid-May. Cool that it updated so quickly though!
Thank you! On 02/16, I found Blue LR with 20” wheels and white interior, I changed specs accordingly but that VIN was not assigned and I could not get hold of any SA as it was at 7 AM. That car was gone and I changed to my original specs. At some point, I also changed to MYP expecting quicker delivery but dates didn’t move.

I have one of those marks on the driver’s passenger door right near the window. I wish it was someplace else because I have to see it every time I get in the car. I think it would have done more damage trying to have them fix it.
Yeah I didn't really want them attempting to wet-sand it down; trust myself or my installer more than them.
Congratulations on your deliver. Frustrating that the paint defect made it through Tesla’s quality control.
Thanks! It is unfortunate but as someone not afraid to wet-sand clearcoat, I made quick work of it in about 45 minutes, most of which was arguing with the trim to get it back on right. Its not entirely gone, but way less noticeable now.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
So, first a disclaimer. I am about to do the wall charger install but have not done my research yet. What would happen in your case if you installed a 50AMP breaker in the panel? Would inspector allow 6-3 NM-B 55Amp wire? I think he would have to, no? And, yes, you would have to limit the wall charger to under 50Amps so it does not flip the breaker but TBH I am not planning on letting the car pull even 50Amps from the wall charger b/c that is all I have in my garage and want to make sure there is juice left for garage opener and tools. Of course YMMV.
Yeah, I would assume that this would be acceptable if you showed them that you set the charger to 50amp during the commissioning process. But perhaps they might say "This isn't good enough, because you could change it later after I leave". But yeah, the Tesla wall charger can be programmed to run at 15a-60a.

Reactions: msinfo
Thank you! On 02/16, I found Blue LR with 20” wheels and white interior, I changed specs accordingly but that VIN was not assigned and I could not get hold of any SA as it was at 7 AM. That car was gone and I changed to my original specs. At some point, I also changed to MYP expecting quicker delivery but dates didn’t move.
On 2/14, I found an inventory car and placed a second order. VIN is assigned for the second car, but I have been unsuccessful in getting the SA to transfer the VIN to the old order from 2/3. I am lucky to have seen the inventory car at 5 AM and order it, so I guess I will live with the increased price and non-refundable $250. I think its best to place a new order when you see an inventory car and then quickly contact SA for the VIN transfer once VIN is assigned. In my case, I went down too far with the new order and completed financing, so that might be the challenge in transferring the VIN to old order.