Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it pretty normal for delivery scheduling to happen immediately after VIN assignment? As opposed to getting assigned a VIN and still waiting for the vehicle to be built/shipped from the factory?

Atlanta, GA
MYLR5, white/black/20"
OD: 1/21
EDD: 3/12-3/31
EDD2: 2/26-3/26
VIN Assigned 2/18 and delivery scheduled 2/20 later today
The VIN is assigned after the car is built, not before. That being said, they could have reassigned a VIN from a no responsive order, which was how I got mine after my original VIN was damaged during shipping.

Anyone concerned that with HW4 so close that they won’t fix some of the Tesla Vision issues like park assist?
Yep! They have done so in the past (sort of) with older models and FSD for example. Their main focus right now seems to be more about manufacturing process and rampup rather than customer experience / communication. Hopefully since there are a lot more Tesla vehicles on the road these days it should be difficult to just ignore these kinds of promises.

We were assured that removing sensors was in fact the right thing to do but as things progress am now having doubts. Someone earlier mentioned that you should buy the car for what you are getting now not potential future features. While I agree with that post if Tesla promises something setting a customer's expectations and then never delivers seems like that might be an issue especially if the decision to buy was made based on that.

I am still "all in" with my order and Tesla but definitely anxious. For most people these are not insignificant purchases.

Last edited:
Too Reasons why I want to buy a model Y:
- the feeling of stepping on that accelerator. it’s like an alien technology; super quiet, instant, almost like something is pulling the car forward instead of the car pushing forward. No gas car can ever match this feeling, never.
- price is now on par with or cheaper than every other alternative of the same size (after ev tax credits and fuel savings)
- technology is unmatched.
- charging network is best, with no second-place in sight
- 0 emissions. Science deniers and oil-company paid researchers can argue all they want. All scientists cannot be wrong, greenhouse gases are causing climate change which causes extreme weather events. Reason why most first world countries are banning gas cars
- big finger to oil companies and largest oil producing countries. Let’s be real- they have hurt the planet and our wallets real bad. If not for oil, US would not have gotten involved in as many wars as we have. US will also care less about politics of some regions
- love the minimalist styling and elegant design. I doubt it will ever get old. Somethings just never do… like a simple t-shirt and jeans
- my prediction is that in five years, all OEMs will heavily advertise EVs and most new car buyers will prefer an EV. The MY will be the most sold new vehicle on the planet. Used car buyers will take note of this, making the MY the most sought-after used car.

- the feeling of stepping on that accelerator. it’s like an alien technology; super quiet, instant, almost like something is pulling the car forward instead of the car pushing forward. No gas car can ever match this feeling, never.
- price is now on par with or cheaper than every other alternative of the same size (after ev tax credits and fuel savings)
- 0 emissions. Science deniers and oil-company paid researchers can argue all they want. All scientists cannot be wrong, greenhouse gases are causing climate change which causes extreme weather events. Reason why most first world countries are banning gas cars
- big finger to oil companies and largest oil producing countries. Let’s be real- they have hurt the planet and our wallets real bad. If not for oil, US would not have gotten involved in as many wars as we have. US will also care less about politics of some regions
- love the minimalist styling and elegant design. I doubt it will ever get old. Somethings just never do… like a simple t-shirt and jeans
- my prediction is that in five years, all OEMs will heavily advertise EVs and most new car buyers will prefer an EV. The MY will be the most sold new vehicle on the planet. Used car buyers will take note of this, making the MY the most sought-after used car.
Excellent points! Thanks..

Order Date: 2/2/2023
Build: MYLR /Blue / Black /20
EDD #1: March - May 2023

Received VIN via text and email on 2/16/2023
EDD #2: Feb. 28 - March 9 2023 (updated on 2/16/2023)
2/20/23: Received a call today from Tesla rep asking when I want to pick up car...Saturday or Sunday.
Scheduled delivery February 25, 2023

Asked me if I wanted Uber voucher to take me to Tesla dealer to pick up vehicle. I said yes.

Nice. Rekindles hope for a few of us MYP customers who ordered around the same time and have a generic Mar 4 - 31 placeholder EDD :)

A few counter arguments as someone who also bought a Model Y:

- The flip side is that there is no sound from an electric car, no sense of mechanical urgency or drama. You may say this is a subjective preference, but so is the subjective preference for something that is silent. We are talking about how things feel, after all.
- The CR-V is significantly cheaper than the Model Y, even after EV tax credits and fuel savings.
- I don't know what technology you are talking about that is unmatched. If you are referring to enhanced autopilot or full self-driving, that's an extra 6-15k on top of the existing cost. Remember, the newest 2023 Model Y doesn't even have ultrasonic sensors. Also no Android Auto or Carplay.
- The "charging" network for gasoline cars are several orders of magnitude larger.
- Not really 0 emissions. That electricity had emissions to generate and distribute. This is simple science that you cannot deny. It may be *less* emissions, but less is not the same as zero, as any scientist should be able to confirm with you.
- It's laughable to deride companies for offering a product that people want to buy and consume. If there are social "ills" you want to fix, such as obesity, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc, go change people's behavior that results in the unhealthy demand for such goods. I get that we need to transition our energy consumption, but putting yourself on a moral high horse while, in your own words, giving the finger to others, reeks of elitism.
- Tesla interiors are *NOT* t-shirts and jeans in terms of styling concept and execution. Tesla interiors are ultra-modern and sleek. The term "space ship" is the analogy most used to describe what it feels like to sit in one. Some may prefer it but lets not call it what it isn't.
- My prediction is that in 5 years, Tesla will have to update the Model Y because of increased competition. Also, uptake of EVs will slow from the current growth rate - but still grow - as the costs and limitations of EVs become better understood.

I can finally stop obsessing over this thread!

MYLR white/black/19"
OD: 1/14
Took delivery in Libertyville 2/20

Showed up early - it was inside being washed. Waited for it to be pulled around. Inspected the exterior: driver front tire had cap sticking out, just snapped it back in; one scuff on paint below passenger mirror (should easily buff out); some sealant on paint from the large glass piece.

They were not very willing to unlock the vehicle for me, but eventually did. Cleaner they used on seats left smudges, so I will need to clean myself. Also found yellow powder on inside of overhead glass, but it came off. Inside of door seals were pretty dirty, but PPF place is taking care of that. Screen plastic was already peeling off - I left it on for the time being since it's in a shop.

Signing documents was quick. They did not explain how the federal tax credit documents will work in person which caused issues - eventually got a text from the 510 number saying I opted for Tesla to share my tax info when the IRS comes out with paperwork (but they couldn't explain that in-person??). So confusing. Very hopeful I will actually get the $7500 for next year's taxes.

Drive to PPF place was about half an hour - enough time for cameras to calibrate. I noticed a pull to the left (should pull to the right slightly on every vehicle), so I may need to request alignment service. Other than that, it rode like a dream. So excited to get it back on Friday!

For those in Chicago/Midwest looking for PPF, I may come back and leave a review for that place (to be named later). Initial thoughts were that the place was clean, front desk person was very easy to talk to, and they were excited to do a full PPF on my Tesla (I mean, they're getting $5000 from me, so makes sense). It's so interesting getting notifications when they leave the doors open haha.

Overall, despite a few hiccups, I am very excited to officially be a part of the Tesla family! 🥳

- The flip side is that there is no sound from an electric car, no sense of mechanical urgency or drama. You may say this is a subjective preference, but so is the subjective preference for something that is silent. We are talking about how things feel, after all.
- The CR-V is significantly cheaper than the Model Y, even after EV tax credits and fuel savings.
- I don't know what technology you are talking about that is unmatched. If you are referring to enhanced autopilot or full self-driving, that's an extra 6-15k on top of the existing cost. Remember, the newest 2023 Model Y doesn't even have ultrasonic sensors. Also no Android Auto or Carplay.
- The "charging" network for gasoline cars are several orders of magnitude larger.
- Not really 0 emissions. That electricity had emissions to generate and distribute. This is simple science that you cannot deny. It may be *less* emissions, but less is not the same as zero, as any scientist should be able to confirm with you.
- It's laughable to deride companies for offering a product that people want to buy and consume. If there are social "ills" you want to fix, such as obesity, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc, go change people's behavior that results in the unhealthy demand for such goods. I get that we need to transition our energy consumption, but putting yourself on a moral high horse while, in your own words, giving the finger to others, reeks of elitism.
- Tesla interiors are *NOT* t-shirts and jeans in terms of styling concept and execution. Tesla interiors are ultra-modern and sleek. The term "space ship" is the analogy most used to describe what it feels like to sit in one. Some may prefer it but lets not call it what it isn't.
- My prediction is that in 5 years, Tesla will have to update the Model Y because of increased competition. Also, uptake of EVs will slow from the current growth rate - but still grow - as the costs and limitations of EVs become better understood.
I agreed but I have booked mine and still deciding to cancel. Tesla is hype nothing else like iPhone where you get minimum value for the price you pay.
The design of tesla is worst in the auto industry. I will tell you that there are enough people in this world they will spend lots money. I did the math and EV like tesla is expensive in cost if you consider the cost of tires, insurance and deprecation. Also the repair is quit expensive. Look at one of the many issues below below and cost to repair.

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude

Hey thanks for the discussion!! Interesting stuff. Here are my thoughts:

- Agree that EVs are different than ICE in terms of sounds and this does take a little getting used to - otherwise this is completely subjective if you love the rumble of a deep throated V8. Here is an interesting article about Tesla sounds from TeslaTap.
- CRV is a hybrid and not a BEV so is not a good comparison - the Chevy Bolt or ID.4 is probably more appropriate. Realize that with a hybrid you have higher maintenance costs and far less efficiency than a BEV but maybe marginally better than an ICE vehicle - you have to haul a battery AND an ICE engine around with you.
- FSD aside the tech advances are in the heat pump and cooling systems, structural battery packs, integrated design allowing OTAs, and the advanced build process now with megacasting goodness - these are far ahead of the competition right now. Check out Sandy Munro vids as they offer a great explanation and some negatives as well - Tesla vehicles are certainly not perfect.
- I do not understand this point about moral high ground at all? Buy an EV and help promote the green revolution seems like a simple enough message. It IS disappointing that right now doing so is only available to the middle and upper class brackets. Lower income folks will likely be forced to continue using ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future - even as repair shops and gas stations decline and services/petrol costs rise.
- This is completely subjective - Tesla Interiors are basic by design. I get the OPs "blue jeans" reference but also agree with you as well - it IS futuristic but also simple so I think both observations work.
- Tesla is constantly iterating all their vehicles - This years Model Y is different. Sometimes the change is more prominent sometimes not.
- In terms of growth predictions keep in mind Teslas competition is with ICE vehicles not other EVs and there is still a huge ICE market. As prices of EVs become more competitive you will see increases in EV sales and declines in ICE sales. Hybrids are legacy manufacturer's (and oil/gas industry's) last gasp at trying to maintain the status quo.
- I suspect the change to EVs will occur a lot more rapidly than people suspect. Similar to the automobile supplanting horse and buggy in the 1900s in a mere 13 years.

Last edited:
I agreed but I have booked mine and still deciding to cancel. Tesla is hype nothing else like iPhone where you get minimum value for the price you pay.
The design of tesla is worst in the auto industry. I will tell you that there are enough people in this world they will spend lots money. I did the math and EV like tesla is expensive in cost if you consider the cost of tires, insurance and deprecation. Also the repair is quit expensive. Look at one of the many issues below below and cost to repair.
When can we expect Goodwin's law to kick in?

Then you made a it looks like you are being wise in your decision making for your situation it would seem - kudos! Keep in mind all relatively expensive "luxury" vehicles seem to have crazy repair costs as well.. BMW stands for "Break My Wallet" for a reason! 🤣

- “Sense of mechanical urgency and drama” ? I have an obnoxious neighbor with a car like that…. Everyone on the block can’t stand the sound of his car.
- a white Honda Crv EXL has MSRP of $37k, my MY build is $45k after ev credit. The $8k can easily be eliminated with fuel savings after several years of ownership with average mileage.
- correction - 0 emissions if solar powered, Significantly lower emissions otherwise
- technology- vehicle’s user interface, settings, and connectivity. Name me who has better
- do you own stock in oil companies? You seem touchy about this - Don’t get your panties in a twist. you seem to not understand the dynamics of oil, politics, and wars
- t-shits and jeans is a classic look that will not fade, I call it what I want. You call it spaceship, I will call it simple and the new classic.
- news flash - Tesla continuously updates the model y since it’s release in 2020. 2023 MY has many many updates since the 2020 already. Let’s agree to disagree on predicted growth rate of EVs.