Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IRS rule actually provides flexibility to car dealer, they can choose one time for arm length price during the year which benefit them most. Lithium price was high all over the year (Around 10x than regular time) so Tesla should be safe for it.
Btw, since such rule is complexity, the chance the battery requirement get delayed is high, or it gives some grace period for car dealers to certify them.

Its a feeling (conjecture) on our part that an additional grace period is "fair," although biased. :)

How would a 10x price increase over the past year benefit Tesla?

Don't see it, unless they combine source pricing with "domestic and trade friendly" countries at much higher value than non trade friendly countries. Then the value will always be higher unless they have a standard way pricing (marking it to market)

There are a couple of MYLR's in Colorado that are available for sale to neighboring states. I'm tempted to switch my MSM MYP order to one of those and get full tax credit but will wait it out this week and see if more or any options still remain next week. The MYP was ordered before the price increase so those 20" MYLRs cost more atm than what I locked in for the MYP..
If you can find a competent SA they can assign the MYLR to your existing RN# and you shouldn't have to pay the price increase. You should be able to pay the MYLR price that it was at the time you ordered your MYP. But it seems some SAs are clueless how to do this properly.
There may be some issue if the car is already on the lot where they can't honour the price but I still think they should be able to make it happen.

EDD updated to 4/8-5/13. Silver lining if it doesn’t move back to March is maybe HW4? 😅
I keep telling myself the same thing! I don't WANT to delay my order but I'm being patient because I've convinced myself that the later the build date, the more likely it'll ship with something new or unexpected like HW4 or even matrix lights since those don't seem to be coming out of Austin.

Reactions: nj201
If you can find a competent SA they can assign the MYLR to your existing RN# and you shouldn't have to pay the price increase. You should be able to pay the MYLR price that it was at the time you ordered your MYP. But it seems some SAs are clueless how to do this properly.
There may be some issue if the car is already on the lot where they can't honour the price but I still think they should be able to make it happen.
Best thing to do would be to visit your local SC and get it done from there to be on the safe side and will get better reponse.

I am going to try one more thing when I go to the Tesla office tomorrow. My delivery is scheduled on 3/2 as I changed the original order of MYLR W/W/19" 5 seater to R/W/20" to match one showing up in the Cleveland office. Original order was on 1/30 and EDD was late Apr/early May. I found the Red one Thu (2/16) night and spoke to SA Fri morning and the change was made Fri (2/17), and immediately got the VIN and EDD was 3/2-3/9. I am going to ask if and when they are going to get the vehicle. If they have it on or before 2/28, I am thinking of asking for delivery immediately. Of course, I would not accept if there are major issues, but if there are minor issues that will/can be fixed with a later service appointment. I am thinking...just to be on the safe side as like many, I also want to get the tax credit and I feel nervous what happens come Feb 28/Mar 1. Since I am so close to Feb 28, I am bit more nervous. Federal govt. can come with anything - or not - I really hope and pray that all of us who are getting their Teslas in Mar/Apr can get the full tax credit. Wish me luck! Thanks all

Edit: Car manufactured date 2/15 (got this after asking 510 number), Fremont built. How long does it take to ship from Fremont to Indiana/East coast?
Update: Last Sat 2/25, me and my wife went to the Tesla office for test drive and briefly spoke with our SA if we can get the car on or before 2/28. He said the car will possibly arrive on 2/28 and he will see what he can do. I texted the 510 number asking for an update this morning and within few minutes my SA called and said the car is at the office and I can take delivery later this afternoon! Will report back after we get it. Good luck and best wishes to all from the bottom of my heart. It has been a crazy journey.

Also just received an updated EDD. Wider range, but first date is sooner. I'll take it as a positive sign.

MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat/no tow
OD: 1/20 (early afternoon)
Original EDD: Jan - March
Updated EDD: 3/11 - 3/31
Updated EDD 2 (2/14): 3/26 - 3/31
Updated EDD 3 (2/28): 3/20 - 3/31
Central North Carolina
No VIN
MYLR MSM/Black/19"/5 seat/no tow
OD: 1/20 (early afternoon 3:30 PM to be exact)
Original EDD: Jan - March
Updated EDD: 3/15 - 3/31
Updated EDD 2 (2/14): 3/07 - 3/13
Updated EDD 3 (2/25): 3/07 - 3/31
Long island NY
No VIN yet

Reactions: James2023y
Guys we'll get to know the tax credit situation soon enough.. by then we'll see major changes in orders and/or cancellations, or people not accepting deliveries. This could drastically change our EDDs. The credit doesn't end in March as is common belief. The only possible change may come when the new guidelines on battery materials are issued, which could affect half of the tax credit ($3750). The other half is a certainty though.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the $3750 may not get the slashing soon. Musk opening superchargers to non-Teslas in conversation with the Biden govt., the govt collecting feedback comments from the public up until today to analyze and collate all that info before bringing the guidelines etc.. are all indicators... Then again it is the Government.. so only time will tell!!! 🤷‍♂️

yes, it is not eligible for tax credit. I may cancel the order ...... haha lost $250
Depending on when your EDD is you might want to wait until the IRS issues guidance which will come sometime in March.. as far as my understanding goes the current rules will be in place until they do and not March 1 - unless guidance is issued then of course..

From the article...
Some rules are on hold until the IRS issues guidance
Some of the tax credit rules took effect on Jan. 1. (More on those, below.) But others pertaining to battery minerals and components — arguably the more challenging to meet — don't take effect until the IRS issues guidance. The agency expects to do that in March 2023.

At that time, many clean vehicles that currently qualify for the tax break may not anymore — at least, until manufacturers are able to satisfy the new rules.

Reactions: dion009