Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this possible? Many orders placed weeks before this, yet are pushed out with EDDs in April/May. (I am not faulting this very fortunate buyer.)
My guess is because I have bought 4 Tesla's in the past ten years. The SA's call me the Tesla OG "Original Gangster", because I was one of the first Model S's in DC back in 2012. Other guesses, it was rejected by another customer because; pick one:
a. My mommy told me to stop buying stuff on the internet late at night after drinking
b. No matrix headlights
c. Paint is eggshell thin from Fremont.
d. Had a service issue and had to be fixed
e. Customer was no show / no call
f. Financing
g. didn't qualify for $7500 tax rebate due to income (register in your kids name)
h. EDD2, EDD3, EDD4 haven't shown up yet in the tracker
h. The 5 Benjamins in a envelope did the trick (baksheesh) kidding, only kidding it was only 2, the other 3 was for the P upgrade...;)

Last edited:
So true. Tesla may regret this time period when they over-promised and under-delivered. There will come a time when EV competition will be very stiff in the US market.

I'm extremely frustrated as well. Moreover, I am concerned if this under-delivery behavior is also indicative of the type of support I can expect in the future. I plan to keep this vehicle 10 years or longer.
This is unfortunately not new. EDDs always get shifted around a lot for Tesla vehicles. People who ordered in years like 2020 or 2021 probably waited many months or up to a year to finally get their Teslas (obv covid was a huge factor in those times though).

OD: 2/4
VIN: 3/5. VIN 7SAYGDEE1PF7036XX (Plant Information: FREMONT, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (USA) hopefully with Matrix headlights)
EDD: March 16-March 26
McLean Virginia
MYLR White/Black/19's

Congratulations!

But now I am annoyed...

My OD is 1.5 weeks before yours.
I have the same spec MYLR W/B 19.
I live just a few miles from Fremont Factory.

But no VIN yet.

After speculating for couple of days, I decided to switch to MYP today. The price is $56,990 same as it was on 1/25. A $3.5K bump from the base MYLR $53,490. It is still $2,000 cheaper than it is now. It seems that my MYLR won't be delivered in March anyway based on the latest movement. So switching to MYP will probably qualify the same $3,750 EV credit as the MYLR. The $3.5K extra get me the 21" wheels, brakes, and better 0-60 joy plus etra data comes with the performance tag. To me personally, this is worth it.
I have been freshing the app a few times today, nothing has changed. Still 4/6 to 5/11.

Just a minute ago, when I logged in my account on Tesla website, the Tesla vision message was there. After I clicked proceed, the EDD is now 3/21 to 3/28. Time to update my payment from cash to loan.

Also got the VIN (no text, just saw it when I logged in my account). VIN Fremont built PF709XXX

Last edited:
Congratulations!

But now I am annoyed...

My OD is 1.5 weeks before yours.
I have the same spec MYLR W/B 19.
I live just a few miles from Fremont Factory.

But no VIN yet.
Well...I've seen this multiple times so again OD isn't the only factor in the ordering/delivery process.

I ordered a Tesla MYLR on 1/13 afternoon while my friend ordered the same configs (except for the color) on 1/14. He got an EDD/DD within like 2 days and picked up his car on 1/19 (it was auto-assigned to him from existing inventory).

On the other hand, I got a VIN 2 weeks later and a narrower EDD 2 weeks after receiving VIN so was finally able to pickup on 2/14. Even though I ordered a day before my friend, I ended up getting my MYLR a month after him.

Reactions: erktrek
I have been freshing the app a few times today, nothing has changed. Still 4/6 to 5/11.

Just a minute ago, when I logged in my account on Tesla website, the Tesla vision message was there. After I clicked proceed, the EDD is now 3/21 to 3/28. Time to update my payment from cash to loan.

Also got the VIN (no text, just saw it when I logged in my account). VIN Fremont built PF709XXX
Money talks... You step up on option and increases the qtrly profit margin.. you'll get you car in higher priority!! ,😁

I ordered Model Y on Jan 18th, intial delivery date was jan18- mar 31 , then it got pushed to Feb 20- mar 20, then it got pushed to mar 8 - mar 31 , now again it pushed to April 8 - May 13, looks to me Tesla is just randomly Throwing delivery date without having inventory. This is highly frustrating and horrible.

I actually was just offered same configuration except AWD with delivery this week. Decided to just go for it. 1k less but obviously less range. For my purposes it's fine. Wanted to make sure to get my lower financing and the full credit. Not super happy but overall made sense.
Exact same reasons I went with an AWD model in stock at my local SC. Swapped out my LR for the AWD this morning and within an hour, had my VIN. It's currently on a truck enroure from Austin to Fresno, California. 11 days is much better than 2-3 more months.

Reactions: erktrek and Tcorn
I ordered Model Y on Jan 18th, intial delivery date was jan18- mar 31 , then it got pushed to Feb 20- mar 20, then it got pushed to mar 8 - mar 31 , now again it pushed to April 8 - May 13, looks to me Tesla is just randomly Throwing delivery date without having inventory. This is highly frustrating and horrible.
You need to look at the bright side. There may be new hardware upgrades. Then you’ll be glad for the delay. Same happened to me when I first ordered our Model X. The new “Raven” upgrade came out with no notice until Elon made an announcement then everyone was delaying their orders to get the upgrades. I lucked out by just a couple of weeks.

Reactions: RCDriver23
MYLR5 MSM/black/no extras/Mississippi
OD: 1/30
EDD1 (1/31): Feb-March
EDD2 (2/1): 3/30-3/31
EDD3 (2/14): 3/24-3/31
EDD4 (2/22): 3/26-3/31
EDD5: (2/28): 3/21-3/31
EDD6: (3/5): 4/23-5/28

UPDATE TODAY:
4PM: received VIN text/email, accepted the notice about the parking sensors, EDD: 3/7-/314
4:30PM: received text/email to schedule delivery

Now I'm scheduled for delivery on Saturday, 3/11 at Brandon, MS. Austin build.

Considering that they just two days ago bumped me out to April/May, it's gotta be a reject (or financing fell through or something), right? If not, Tesla must just have no clue what they're doing with EDDs.

No text, but I opened the app and saw an alert that tesla was making changes that impact my order… then I noticed the VIN above. This probably won’t help those break the habit of reloading like me. Lol.

Turns out that for the alert I just needed to log in to my account to accept the Tesla vision statement.

MYLR Red/Black/19 - no options
OD: 1/20
EDD 1: Jan-Mar
EDD 2: Mar 4-31
EDD 3: Mar 5-19 (updated Feb 22)
- trade in text (Feb 23)
- VIN to be assigned in 1-2 weeks text (Feb 26)
EDD 4: Mar 14-28 (updated Mar 6)
- VIN Assigned: Mar 7 (no text, only in app) PA084…
EDD 5: Mar 19-28

I believe I’m one of the few that’s happy I’m not getting matrix lights.

Reactions: MeanDOG
OD 1/23 red/black/mylr/hitch
Edd1: jan-mar
Edd2: 3/18-3/31
Edd3: 3/13-3/31 for a month
Edd4: 3/14-3/31 day before investor day
today!
Edd5: 3/13-3/27

no vin yet…
Lots of people getting push into 2nd quarter
Any luck I’ll get my mylr this month
Los Angeles

Oh geez, thanks... I never knew what that "E" stood for! There's always a troll, regardless what you post. When you're hawking a time sensative $7500 tax incentive and blasting it out there with your EDD projections, you're setting an expectation. But do tell me Mr ED, how so many on here have seen the same configuration they ordered already received by people who ordered later than we did who are already driving around in their new Teslas? And what apocalyptic event happened in the past 5 days (when they shortened my "EDD" by 5 days to as early as this friday), only to yank that rug out a mere 5 days later and push it out another 6 weeks? These orders go in on computers every day... they know exactly how many of each color and option and have known it since my order was placed on 1/26. Tesla doesn't give a rat's behind if any of us get the $7500 tax incentive and the more that cancel at the once lower prices, the more profit they make.

I get that it's a cult, and anything that could be conceived as challenging someone else's decision to be a member is a threat that needs to be insulted and immediately dismissed. I will likely own a Tesla down the road, but given that I'll be 3000 miles away by the time it would have arrived, it's not working for me, so I loose my place in line, my low price "lock in" as well as $7500 tax incentive. So with today's prices (and only likely to go up) I'm loosing close to $10K if I want one down the road. Yippe-kuy-yea!

I really feel you have over-reacted.

I would have kept the order since if you cancel, it's gone and you have to take all the lost.
Even if you know you do not want the car, you can still keep the order alive.
Tesla will keep this order for some time (For my Feb 2020 model Y order, I rejected delivery 3 times due to covid and they finally canceled it Jan 2022, almost 2 years later).

If you keep the order, a few good things could happen.
- they change EDD again and you get the car in time.
- you sell the order later when they hike the price even more.
- as someone else pointed out, you could request delivery in a different place (not sure it will work for you)
- you need it 1 year later and can afford to wait.

Not really my business, but I do not think bridge_player (I am one myself) was being disrespectful in saying E was for estimate.
The fault was Tesla's, they were the one doing the bad estimates.

Finally, good luck with whatever choice you make.
I really feel for you (like many others here) since I have seen people with later OD and same spec got the car but I do not have the VIN yet.