Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you thinking about not getting the car? If so then hold off otherwise if you do intend to take delivery then ordering the charge cable is probably a good thing to have right away IF you plan on charging at home.

If you are charging at home then also consider installing a 14-50 Nema outlet which will allow you to charge faster.
I will take delivery pretty likely, but I won't be charging it at home as I am in apartment building without charging station, I will be charging it in paid-garage from work or Supercharger around my home. I might only need the J connector afaik?

I ordered a MYP W/W on 3/6 and EDD was March - April. On 3/10, I was browsing the existing inventory page and found a different gray on white MYP with tow hitch. I spoke to a rep via chat and was told I can get it if I don’t mind picking up in Austin (I’m in Dallas). It’s only 3.5 hrs away so I agreed and my reservation was swapped over. Once I saw the gray car on my app, I texted the 510 number and they confirmed that the car was built on 3/8, waiting transport from Fremont but the car should arrive around 3/22.
I’m hoping 3/22 turns out to be true. Fingers crossed.

I will take delivery pretty likely, but I won't be charging it at home as I am in apartment building without charging station, I will be charging it in paid-garage from work or Supercharger around my home. I might only need the J connector afaik?
I'm in the same situation. No charging at the apartment with mainly charging via a J connector at work, Tesla Supercharger and/or Electrify America as needed. I will be buying a CCS adaptor if its available at the service center during my pickup. If not I'll order it. Not ordering the charger until we move in October at which point I'll decide whether I'll need the standard or wall charger.

First time poster, long time lurker. OD: jan 17 @8am PST Black/White/5 seater LR. I lost track of how many EDD I got but my last EDD was X-Mar 14. X is the was the moving date since the last week of February. Everyday the beginning date move up by 1. On Mar 5, EDD became Mar 19- Mar 31. The funny thing was we was on the call with SA and she liked ”you're almost there. Don’t change anything“ 😂🤣 we’re about an hr drive from Fremont plant.

The J1772 adapter is Level 1 and charges about 3 - 5 miles per hour.
The remote charger I believe can charge up to Level 2 depending upon the adapter. It's a more flexible solution I think but expensive.

Here's an adapter kit that seems too expensive but the page lists the rates per different type of plug..

Note: I just bought a bunch of 14-50 adapters to those types (using the included 14-50P adapter with the mobile connector kit) - was cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation. No charging at the apartment with mainly charging via a J connector at work, Tesla Supercharger and/or Electrify America as needed. I will be buying a CCS adaptor if its available at the service center during my pickup. If not I'll order it. Not ordering the charger until we move in October at which point I'll decide whether I'll need the standard or wall charger.

The thing is there are way more Tesla charging stations out there so you are not likely to need CA or other non-tesla chargers. Destination charging can be handled by the J connector but is slow.

edit: I bought the mobile connector with the 5-15 and 14-50 adapters.

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
Saw two guys talking in parking lot

Guy 1: aren’t you going to order the Tesla?

Guy 2: no, I’ll be dead by the time it arrives

Guy 1: yeah, I just placed an order for my granddaughter. She’s 10
Lulz. That said, a lot of the frustration is down to the fact that none of the EDDs are reliable. I can get a decently reliable progress tracker on a $15 pizza but not on a $60k car? Wtf?
1-order processing
2-order in production
3-Quality check
4-en route to delivery location
5-ready for pick-up
How hard is that to do? If fking LITTLE CAESARS can do it why can't Tesla? Skip all the VIN/EDD nonsense until the order is on its way as that can take weeks for folks that don't live next door to a factory anyway. I'm dropping 60k on this thing, I've weighed all the pros and cons, just wasn't expecting blue balls from overly "optimistic" EDDs. Under promise and over deliver, and they'd wipe out a lot of the needless stress caused by their stupid EDDs.

Lulz. That said, a lot of the frustration is down to the fact that none of the EDDs are reliable. I can get a decently reliable progress tracker on a $15 pizza but not on a $60k car? Wtf?
1-order processing
2-order in production
3-Quality check
4-en route to delivery location
5-ready for pick-up
How hard is that to do? If fking LITTLE CAESARS can do it why can't Tesla? Skip all the VIN/EDD nonsense until the order is on its way as that can take weeks for folks that don't live next door to a factory anyway. I'm dropping 60k on this thing, I've weighed all the pros and cons, just wasn't expecting blue balls from overly "optimistic" EDDs. Under promise and over deliver, and they'd wipe out a lot of the needless stress caused by their stupid EDDs.
Not trying to justify Tesla's inability to communicate well with customers, but those pizza order trackers are just based on averages and are not actually that reliable/connected to reality in my experience. But if someone says your pizza will take 10 minutes to make and it takes 20 minutes, you probably don't notice that much. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I do agree that overpromising and underdelivering is crap customer service. In my case, Tesla underpromised and overdelivered. Not sure what their performance is on average. Based on this forum, they seem to be doing poorly, but maybe only those on the unfavorable side of average are posting. It's hard to know if your (and others) admittedly poor experience represents the average or not.

He got it from my post yesterday.
I saw them by checking the 100+ cars at Fremont delivery center parking lot.
MY SA told me the general direction where my car is and I went over to check the cars one by one.
The paperwork is on the wind shield or front seat.
I only checked 1/3 of the lot about 20-30 MYLRs before I found the car is being driven off the lot for delivery preparation.
I did not bother checking other models.
Thanks

Not trying to justify Tesla's inability to communicate well with customers, but those pizza order trackers are just based on averages and are not actually that reliable/connected to reality in my experience. But if someone says your pizza will take 10 minutes to make and it takes 20 minutes, you probably don't notice that much. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I do agree that overpromising and underdelivering is crap customer service. In my case, Tesla underpromised and overdelivered. Not sure what their performance is on average. Based on this forum, they seem to be doing poorly, but maybe only those on the unfavorable side of average are posting. It's hard to know if your (and others) admittedly poor experience represents the average or not.
You're not wrong on the pizza thing, but Amazon has a similar progress tracker with similar reliability if you're more comfortable with a non-pizza reference.
Tesla production rates are known. Rough transport times are known. A reasonably reliable product/order tracker should not be beyond a billion dollar car company. Maybe grab some of the guys they hired for the robot nonsense and have them kludge together a proper order tracker with reliability similar to Amazon's.

Also: don't list items as being "in inventory" if they haven't actually been built yet.

Y'know, basic stuff.

You're not wrong on the pizza thing, but Amazon has a similar progress tracker with similar reliability if you're more comfortable with a non-pizza reference.
Tesla production rates are known. Rough transport times are known. A reasonably reliable product/order tracker should not be beyond a billion dollar car company. Maybe grab some of the guys they hired for the robot nonsense and have them kludge together a proper order tracker with reliability similar to Amazon's.

Also: don't list items as being "in inventory" if they haven't actually been built yet.

Y'know, basic stuff.
Yeah, I do sometimes wonder if the "basic stuff" has eluded Elon's companies because he never really had to "fail" in any significant way and learn from it. I've watched enough of his interviews to know that he is very capable of introspection, but the execution is still lacking and one does get the sense that as long as the business is still doing well enough to meet whatever his personal goals are he doesn't care too much about other people's reasonable expectations.

Yeah, I do sometimes wonder if the "basic stuff" has eluded Elon's companies because he never really had to "fail" in any significant way and learn from it. I've watched enough of his interviews to know that he is very capable of introspection, but the execution is still lacking and one does get the sense that as long as the business is still doing well enough to meet whatever his personal goals are he doesn't care too much about other people's reasonable expectations.
That's an interesting take.. have ta ponder it a bit.

Several of his businesses came very close to going broke like SpaceX and Tesla. I could see his and by extension his companies focus being more on the technical side and less on the fuzzy parts that cost money and whose goals are hard to define and quantize like Customer Service, PR, (some) marketing and possibly even legal...

Reactions: BailMY
That's an interesting take.. have ta ponder it a bit.

Several of his businesses came very close to going broke like SpaceX and Tesla. I could see his and by extension his companies focus being more on the technical side and less on the fuzzy parts that cost money and whose goals are hard to define and quantize like Customer Service, PR, (some) marketing and possibly even legal...
Yeah, he has narrowly dodged failure several times but never quite got crushed. Some lessons you only properly learn after you've caught a proper haymaker with your mouth lol

• Funny
Reactions: ATG1 and erktrek
OD 1/17
DD 3/8
Posted first day's impressions last week. Now approaching one week I feel it will become my favorite car. It's just fun to drive once you get the hang of the feature list, one pedal driving, and the way it handles. My only complaint is that the low frequency road noise drowns out the bass from the radio. I have old ears, but still expect to hear the lower frequencies and all I'm hearing is around vocal frequencies and higher. But it is a great car and I'm glad I made the leap. 23 MYLR

Od 1/20, w/b/19/tow... Edd jumped to 3/13-28 last week than this morning moved to 4/10-5/15... I seriously hate this. Looking at other cars now. 60k car purchase should not come with this crapshoot/lottery feel and a shifty customer service.. I can only imagine what wonderful frustration will come during ownership. Alienating existing customers and perspective customers will bring the brand to ashes one day... soon. Others have caught up.

The thing is there are way more Tesla charging stations out there so you are not likely to need CA or other non-tesla chargers. Destination charging can be handled by the J connector but is slow.
I'm counting on using the J connector charging taking care of most of my daily needs at work. I believe most get 20 miles / hr and a couple of hours of charging every other day should take care of most of my routine commute.

Reactions: erktrek
The J1772 adapter is Level 1 and charges about 3 - 5 miles per hour.
The remote charger I believe can charge up to Level 2 depending upon the adapter. It's a more flexible solution I think but expensive.

Here's an adapter kit that seems too expensive but the page lists the rates per different type of plug..

Note: I just bought a bunch of 14-50 adapters to those types (using the included 14-50P adapter with the mobile connector kit) - was cheaper.
Can I use the J1772 adapter with a level 2 chargepoint charger ?