Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all long time lurker, infrequent poster. Location northern California, OD 1-19-23 MYLR, MSMB. Vin assigned 3-17-23,picked up today in Rocklin. What an incredible machine, pure torque. No real issues, built like a Pontiac right before they went under, but OMG what a powertrain. Suspension is incredible, from someone who races autocross. Super happy w the poverty edition purchase. Good luck to everyone, hope you get yours soon.

Curious how your insurance worked out. Were you able to take delivery in CA with just proof that you had an existing auto policy with other vehicles covered or did you have to present proof that you had the new Tesla VIN listed on the policy at time of delivery?

Once I get a VIN and delivery date, I was hoping that I could just upload my current auto policy and then add the Tesla the day I take delivery. I'm in California.
I just uploaded my existing policy with other vehicles covered, but I did let my insurance know delivery date of the car after the upload. Hope that helps.

Reactions: js5889
Ahh Manchin... good luck everyone.. fingers crossed for full credit for the "LRY"

1679567972521.png

Everyone get ready...
Similar to what people have said, it's predicted the M3 probably loses federal tax credit whereas the MY should be fine and retain the full federal tax credit past March:

First post here!

Ordered my YLR yesterday with Midnight cherry red paint, FSD. I reside in Norway so my car will come from the Berlin factory. Delivery is set between July and September. No idea which HW version to expect.
Welcome! Hopefully European fulfillment is better / more accurate than the US. I would caution on paying too much attention to the Estimated Delivery Dates (EDDs).. they will drive you crazy. Norway seems to be a hot market for Teslas right now so everything might work out okay.

Well it's almost getting to the level of a "bait and switch" scheme... put an order in for a lower cost item but to actually take delivery you need to shift your config to something different which ends up costing more. I'm guessing it's not on purpose (I hope) but Tesla needs to get it's act together and stop ignoring how terrible the middle part of the order-to-delivery process is at least for customers who have been delayed over and over with no explanation.

I think we've been rooting for each other through this whole thing.

From my periphery vantage point the app is simply software with maybe not as much human input as we would like to think. Do humans update the app or does the app update the app? To me it appears the "system" makes the changes depending on where cars are needed and where they are moved. Cars get designated to locations based on what the systems thinks is best.

There may be some centrally focused human intervention at the top, but after that Mr. Roboto takes over. Comparing this to any automated delivery system. With Amazon the system takes products ALREADY made usually and moves them around. At Tesla the system is also trying to guestimate times around production output.

One thing I have taken note of- Most initial estimates are far far too optimistic. The system seems to be narrowing the dates over time. By the time it finally begins to get the calcualtions right you might have been through several revisions.

When you buy a Tesla you often can't plan around it too far into the future. Planning vacations and business trips around very specific expectations are probably not wise. Low expectations into the more distant future is probably the best plan of attack. High expectations into the near future are not.

We once thought getting a VIN was a good sign, but as we have seen, not even a VIN is an absolute guarantee a car is coming soon. Really that text or email informing us to come pick up the car is best.

I am optimistic though that both new and later orders will begin to close through better delivery windows. This is because I believe we are maybe seeing a slight drop in orders.

If nothing else the lower prices in Jan temporarily held off the flippers who were selling at 2022 prices and clogging the chain for the rest of us. One can only hope they don't show up again thinking these prices are going to be raised in the near future. Buying pre HW4 might be an advantage in some ways.

I think we've been rooting for each other through this whole thing.

From my periphery vantage point the app is simply software with maybe not as much human input as we would like to think. Do humans update the app or does the app update the app? To me it appears the "system" makes the changes depending on where cars are needed and where they are moved. Cars get designated to locations based on what the systems thinks is best.

There may be some centrally focused human intervention at the top, but after that Mr. Roboto takes over. Comparing this to any automated delivery system. With Amazon the system takes products ALREADY made usually and moves them around. At Tesla the system is also trying to guestimate times around production output.

One thing I have taken note of- Most initial estimates are far far too optimistic. The system seems to be narrowing the dates over time. By the time it finally begins to get the calcualtions right you might have been through several revisions.

When you buy a Tesla you often can't plan around it too far into the future. Planning vacations and business trips around very specific expectations are probably not wise. Low expectations into the more distant future is probably the best plan of attack. High expectations into the near future are not.

We once thought getting a VIN was a good sign, but as we have seen, not even a VIN is an absolute guarantee a car is coming soon. Really that text or email informing us to come pick up the car is best.

I am optimistic though that both new and later orders will begin to close through better delivery windows. This is because I believe we are maybe seeing a slight drop in orders.

If nothing else the lower prices in Jan temporarily held off the flippers who were selling at 2022 prices and clogging the chain for the rest of us. One can only hope they don't show up again thinking these prices are going to be raised in the near future. Buying pre HW4 might be an advantage in some ways.
Well said! 💯

I try not to be too cynical but it's difficult given the excitement and desire I have for owning a part of the "future" while being forced to wait in ignorance. I believe in Tesla's goals, amazed at their tech and iterative processes and am heartened but not surprised by the disruption they are causing. Indeed these are exciting AND interesting times.

Last edited:
I am super interested to see what happens with the OMB review of this reg! It is possible IRS and Treasury are already working with OMB to get this into the Federal Register by 3/31. I may be reading too much into this, but I noticed the IRS official said the proposal would be "released" next week. We will see if that means published in the Federal Register.

Pins and needles for those of us taking delivery next week!

I am super interested to see what happens with the OMB review of this reg! It is possible IRS and Treasury are already working with OMB to get this into the Federal Register by 3/31. I may be reading too much into this, but I noticed the IRS official said the proposal would be "released" next week. We will see if that means published in the Federal Register.

Pins and needles for those of us taking delivery next week!
Tesla expects to lose full $7,500 tax credit on its cheapest electric car

looks like MY is safe.

Reactions: starise and erktrek
Reactions: erktrek and hp1234