Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$2K discount + No sales tax (~$3.5K) + Charger installation rebate ($1.5K). No wonder Teslas are everywhere in NJ.

For a JuiceBox 48:
$250 NJ ChargeUP program for EV Charger
30% up to $1000 for a Home Charger (Federal Tax - I see no income restriction)

All said and done, I estimate the home charger will net cost < $20 for me. Whatever your preference (fossil fuel environmental, oil geopolitical, consumer economical) everyone on this forum is brilliant! 😅

Not that it would make a dime of a difference, but, hey, we're a democracy and multiple feedbacks could fall into listening ears and we could see some changes in the foreseeable future. This is what I wrote in the feedback form I received today ;) 😬

Of course, I love the car and its features. You guys are the pioneers and monopolize EVs today. With a surge in demand, I can understand working round the clock. However, customer communication and experience play a pivotal role as you step into the competitive future with other automakers. You could do a much better job there and value the customer first. You may also want to revisit your EDD algorithm. It flies all over the place and makes customers anxious and dissatisfied, when it behaves erratically without any logical explanation. You could take a cent or two from Dominos pizza for example "Joe has received your order. Joe is preparing the ingredients now. Joe has placed the prepared pizza into the oven. The pizza is expected to be ready in 15 minutes. Joe has taken the pizza out of the oven now. The pizza failed quality check. Joe will redo the pizza and as such the EDD will now change to 'xxx'". I know you're not a pizza company, but this is just an analogy. That said, I'm satisfied with the car and its overall features and you guys rock in making EVs.

Last edited:
For a JuiceBox 48:
$250 NJ ChargeUP program for EV Charger
30% up to $1000 for a Home Charger (Federal Tax - I see no income restriction)

All said and done, I estimate the home charger will net cost < $20 for me. Whatever your preference (fossil fuel environmental, oil geopolitical, consumer economical) everyone on this forum is brilliant! 😅
I installed a 50 amp Autel. I originally ordered a Chevy Bolt, but after seeing the markup over MSRP and the time frame to wait I decided to look for something else. Glad I did because I thought the car was nice but a little smaller than I really wanted. That's how I ended up with the Autel instead of a Tesla charger. Should be fine with the adapter, but if not I'll yank it and get a Tesla charger. I have no idea what my power company offers yet.

It's interesting how some people come to their decisions on what to buy. I will spend twice the money on principle for a better deal if I have it to spend. GM wanted to add 5K to MSRP. Could have had a Bolt for 40ish loaded. No dice GM. Not for a car that's supposed to cost 26K. I'm really glad I went in this direction instead, not that the Bolt is a bad car. It's the principle for how they deal that bothered me which really worked in my favor. One thing leads to another. I drove a Model 3 demo and loved it, especially for the price, but then we drove a MY demo. THAT was our car...bbbbbut it costs X amount more, countered with rebates and price reductions it was a no brainer for us even though more expensive. Yes an M3 would have been nice too, but the Y added to the nice.

We are empty nesters and I've had my share of fast cars. Been there, done that and have found 'performance' anything is a low priority at this stage of my life. I have 3 other cars but none are EVs. I have a hauler and a beater and a daily driver. Living in rural PA is another whole reason to go with the better suspension and slightly longer range while still managing a decent get up and go time for a car like this. Being more on the tech interest spectrum, I am eyeing the AP additions and might spring for at least the EAP which would make FSD 99.00 a month. PPF will never show a ROI at resale. I might put a really nice ceramic finish on the car. I'll stay away from dump trucks, drive another car on bad winter days etc.. I'm using an automatic car wash. This Tesla will not be a show car, but I'll keep her clean. I did order a PPF surround for the door handles, floor mats and mud flaps.

Realistically I'm still in a three month window for delivery having ordered 1/21 if my delivery arrives as projected. That really isn't bad especially considering their order load and delivery times. I wouldn't want to wait much longer though. Tax rebates seem to be up in the air. If they cut my amount by 50% I'll still be buying the car if that happens and I suspect that anyone who doesn't mind springing for 1k-2K add ons or a 4k bump for performance won't quit over a tax change. Sure there might be a few who drop out, but go try to find anything else like the MYLR that offers anything close to this available in a 3 month window for this price. In two years maybe. Right now finding a comparable car isn't as easy as some make it out to be. And there are plenty of reasons to buy TESLA over the others. JMOP YMMV

I appreciate this! I switched and ordered the Performance model! I did some research and tires weren’t that much more expensive. Maybe $200 more total.
If you're comparing OE tires on Tirerack.com at current prices (not including installation):

Model Y
19" tires are $1,249 per set and have a treadwear warranty.
20" tires are $1,394 per set and have no treadwear warranty.

Model Y Performance
21" tires are $1,843 per set and have no treadwear warranty. You have two different sizes of tires and if you actually use the MYP's additional performance, the tire life will be further reduced, so in reality, plan on spending at least twice as much for tires on a MYP. :)

Last edited:
Btw I saw a video where they mention that they do updates to the order date only twice a day: 9AM ET and 9PM ET, unless a VIN is being assigned or you're close to delivery. Don't know if it's true though. However, after seeing that, I have started checking only twice a day :)
Revisiting this earlier discussion, I've noticed a distinct trend. Aside from a few earlier updates that came later in the morning or evening, the last ~8 that have occurred over the last ~month have all came shortly after 8:00 AM CST (9:00 AM EST) and no other time. After Daylight Saving Time began, I received updates at 9:00 AM CDT (10:00 AM EDT), so from my perspective they seem to be issued at 2:00 PM GMT.

Reactions: imgcs and erktrek
Revisiting this earlier discussion, I've noticed a distinct trend. Aside from a few earlier updates that came later in the morning or evening, the last ~8 that have occurred over the last ~month have all came shortly after 8:00 AM CST (9:00 AM EST) and no other time. After Daylight Saving Time began, I received updates at 9:00 AM CDT (10:00 AM EDT), so from my perspective they seem to be issued at 2:00 PM GMT.
Yes.. that's what I thought... 99% of the people have told me after I saw the video that they used to get the update shortly after 9 EST or after the time change 10 EDT. I didn't dispute what you said then.. coz only you know when you've been receiving your udpates :)

Morning all. Well, today is 2 months...I cannot believe it is 2 months since I put the order in for my MYLR! Never in my life did I think it would push out this long.
In the past when Tesla was producing less cars waits longer than 6 months to a year or more were expected. When we placed our orders it was anticipated Feb/March so the expectation was 2 months at the max - indeed the eventual shifts in the EDD seemed to indicate as such. I'm glad demand is up as this is forcing EV adoption BUT being left hanging in terms of even a ballpark date is terribly frustrating and terrible for planning. Now it looks like it will probably be 4 months... I'm assuming the max given the current bogus EDD but who knows?

In the past when Tesla was producing less cars waits longer than 6 months to a year or more were expected. When we placed our orders it was anticipated Feb/March so the expectation was 2 months at the max - indeed the eventual shifts in the EDD seemed to indicate as such. I'm glad demand is up as this is forcing EV adoption BUT being left hanging in terms of even a ballpark date is terribly frustrating and terrible for planning. Now it looks like it will probably be 4 months... I'm assuming the max given the current bogus EDD but who knows?
My brother just waited nine months to get a RAV4 Hybrid (not a RAV4 Prime - those have years-long waits). My previous ~three dozen automobiles were all same-day purchases. When I ordered my Model Y, the website said "Jan-Mar", so I expected as late as Mar 31, but hoped it wouldn't actually be that long. Last month, @Troy reported a wait time for the Model Y Long Range of 63 days. I ordered on Jan 20, so I thought I'd have it by now. On the other hand, I did edit my order on Mar 2, which likely changed my place in the queue. I hope it's not 63 days from Mar 2 before mine arrives, but it could be, I suppose. I must also assume that wait time is an average - if Tesla only builds in batches of like vehicles, wait time will depend on when Tesla receives enough orders of a particular configuration to justify production, so a less-popular combination like mine may have a longer wait time since Tesla doesn't build-to-order.

Reactions: erktrek
If you're comparing OE tires on Tirerack.com at current prices (not including installation):

Model Y
19" tires are $1,249 per set and have a treadwear warranty.
20" tires are $1,394 per set and have no treadwear warranty.

Model Y Performance
21" tires are $1,843 per set and have no treadwear warranty. You have two different sizes of tires and if you actually use the MYP's additional performance, the tire life will be further reduced, so in reality, plan on spending at least twice as much for tires on a MYP. :)
Set of 4 is $1843. Install $60. Not quite “at least twice as much”

My brother just waited nine months to get a RAV4 Hybrid (not a RAV4 Prime - those have years-long waits). My previous ~three dozen automobiles were all same-day purchases. When I ordered my Model Y, the website said "Jan-Mar", so I expected as late as Mar 31, but hoped it wouldn't actually be that long. Last month, @Troy reported a wait time for the Model Y Long Range of 63 days. I ordered on Jan 20, so I thought I'd have it by now. On the other hand, I did edit my order on Mar 2, which likely changed my place in the queue. I hope it's not 63 days from Mar 2 before mine arrives, but it could be, I suppose. I must also assume that wait time is an average - if Tesla only builds in batches of like vehicles, wait time will depend on when Tesla receives enough orders of a particular configuration to justify production, so a less-popular combination like mine may have a longer wait time since Tesla doesn't build-to-order.
I have a deposit down, $2500 refundable, to build a RAV4 Hybrid. This was put down the beginning of January. I was told 5-7 months. When the MY price dropped it took me two weeks to convince my wife to test drive it. She is not 100% sold on it (does not like the rear view mirror view and all the touch screen stuff but agreed to put down the $250 reservation).

I see cars coming on the lot for Toyota but I guess since I put in a special order they will not call me on those cars. Really frustrating. I really want and was hoping the MY would come first since we just cannot find a car on a lot (hybrid) to even test drive. They are gone before we can get there.

I will say, although it was hard to get a demo drive, Tesla does keep cars on their lot just for that reason. Old school dealers and manufacturers do not do that.

Last edited:
Set of 4 is $1843. Install $60. Not quite “at least twice as much”
It appears you didn't read or ignored the part I wrote about the tires on the Performance model not lasting as long resulting in more frequent replacement.

To give you an example, let's say a $1,300 set of 19" tires lasts 40,000 miles and a $1,900 set of 21" tires lasts 25,000 miles (due not only to the type of tire - all-season vs. summer, but also the Performance model's higher torque will wear a shorter-lasting tire even more quickly) in which case you'd be paying $600 more for a set of tires more often which breaks down to 3.25 cents per mile for the 19" tires on a MY compared to 7.6 cents per mile for 21" tires on a MYP - that's "at least twice as much"...because math. :)

Last edited:
I get that they led us to believe it was going to be earlier. I think this has been a frustration for many who never ordered a Tesla before and didn't realize the very moveable nature of those dates. Now I am sort of just like 'whateva'. Sooner would always be preferable to later. If they push me up again I won't be happy.

If after Mar 31st we get an especially bad report which I don't expect, but still if it happens , there will be a few who will cancel possibly bumping some of us up. Some people put money on a car without thinking their situations through and a few of those might pull out before delivery. I imagine it happens all the time for a low percentage of orders.

The main spark to these sales here was the price reduction which is still relatively low even now as compared to '22. From Tesla's end of things they just want to keep pumping out cars. At no point will we ever run out of Teslas, but deliveries take longer and at some point sales will begin to drop off and the stockpile will once again start to climb. Since we are only a few months out from that price cut bubble they haven't made all of those cars. Technically the "price cuts" are still there but not as good as they were in Jan.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, hang in there. It might get better or stay the same, but I don't believe it's going to get worse.