Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations. I got mine on Friday but in Vancouver SC. After driving over 100miles in a day, I got used to one-pedal drive now.
For other folks like my case, my EDD was 3/28-3/31 and then changed to 4/3-5/2. I thought the change ridiculous and made some calls but no progress. So I decided to go up to Seattle SC to see what I could get. They told me the soft delivery date of my case was 4/7 so I was very confused why I was told it in March. Of course there was official excuse I heard many times and could recite it, so I said I was looking for solution but not excuse . Fortunately they found one in Vancouver WA and could be delivered by 3/24 and I accepted it. Then another two delay and eccenually got my care on 3/31, last day of March, not sure whether it has meaning now. I didn't find significant issues other than gap of frunk trim between two sides is not as even as opposed to another car. They told me the diff within spec and I was not insisting any more as I think it minor and not impacting my driving experience.
I think what I want to say is that go to SC by person may make things better than a call. EDD is a joke, which is how Tesla tries to make itself more promising and attractive than other manufacture in delivery.
Good to know. Not sure if I want to approach an SC yet but will consider it. Was your car a Fremont or Austin build and did it come with front mud guards and or partial PPF on rear panels?

Removed my VIN just now. I ordered Friday morning and same day in the afternoon I already had a VIN assigned and was getting texts to schedule pick up. My financial stuff was not in order due to me thinking I'd be waiting a couple months.

They said they'll remove the VIN of the one available now but that "You would need to take delivery of the next vin assigned to avoid the account bong auto cancelled. We would not know when the next vin will be assigned."

So I'm fine with waiting. Suppose it was my fault for not being ready when I placed the order but never would I have guessed It'd be possible to take delivery within a couple weeks let alone the same day.

Reactions: zroger73
They sold 430K cars and made 440K. Not sure how they managed that with the massive flood of orders and so many still waiting on their Jan orders. Guess they made a lot of 7 seaters ;-) .. Or I guess there is not as much demand outside of US even after massive price cuts.

Makes me wonder if more price cuts are coming up in the next few months. They make too many cars (1.8M estimated this year) and the demand seems to be falling, especially if they didn't have a big surge even after the massive price cuts around the world.

If Model Y tax rebate continues, might make sense to order later if you don't need a car to get the HW4 or a cheaper price?

They sold 430K cars and made 440K. Not sure how they managed that with the massive flood of orders and so many still waiting on their Jan orders. Guess they made a lot of 7 seaters ;-) .. Or I guess there is not as much demand outside of US even after massive price cuts.

Makes me wonder if more price cuts are coming up in the next few months. They make too many cars (1.8M estimated this year) and the demand seems to be falling, especially if they didn't have a big surge even after the massive price cuts around the world.

If Model Y tax rebate continues, might make sense to order later if you don't need a car to get the HW4 or a cheaper price?
If this forum is any indication there has been a lot of changing to inventory vehicles and locations in order to take delivery before end of March. This seems to have worked out for Tesla as most are done at a higher price point (upgraded options like 20" etc) and help move vehicles faster.

Reactions: James2023y
Looks like a lot of Model 3, X & S are unsold. Also, some of the Y cars will be in transit. I expected massive backlog. But looks like there is not as much demand or he hit his peak already. The competition might be taking a toll on his sales.

I got a Y as it has the best range and wide range of standard options. The price on Y was till MUCH better than ID4, Ionic, Mach-E and other alternatives. The interior is bare for a 55K car though.

If this forum is any indication there has been a lot of changing to inventory vehicles and locations in order to take delivery before end of March. This seems to have worked out for Tesla as most are done at a higher price point (upgraded options like 20" etc) and help move vehicles faster.
Tesla not only wanted to sell as many cars as possible , but also needed to show that the price cuts did not hurt the profits. The early orders in Q1 (us in January) were bait to get more orders but we hurt the profit line. Hence we got pushed out to Q2 to make room for the higher priced orders. It really stinks. But I guess it is their right. Eventually they will have to honor our orders. I just hope that they don’t spread us beyond end of May.

The surplus for 3/Y was ~9K cars https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike… roughly the production of two days. I wonder what trims were these cars that they did not manage to deliver before EOQ.

Reactions: Skunis
According to historical data on WFT, 27,731 Teslas went into inventory in Q1 2023 and all but a few hundred of those sold. If they made 440,808 and delivered 422,875, it seems to me that most of those 17,933 that were made, but not delivered are sitting in storage lots and rail yards or are loaded up on rail cars and transport trucks on their way to their destinations. It seems to me the problem was not demand or manufacturing capacity, but the ability to physically get the vehicles to their buyers due to transportation bottlenecks - a problem that has been around since the pandemic began about three years ago.

The surplus for 3/Y was ~9K cars https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike… roughly the production of two days. I wonder what trims were these cars that they did not manage to deliver before EOQ.

I don't know that, but 22% of those that ended up in inventory were the cheapest trim (AWD) with white exteriors and black interiors.

24% of the LR trim were white, a majority had black interiors, but more of them had 20" wheels.

Last edited:
But what it shows up in inventory is a tiny fraction of what is produced. Today there are 290 Model Y in waiting for Tesla. Daily production of 3/Y combined is roughly 4500/day. That large surplus production of Q1 is not showing there. Maybe they have VINs assigned to people in the waiting list, maybe they are still figuring out where and when will be shipped to places and transport logistics are the problem as you mentioned. But clearly something is really wrong with the late January orders, while people that ordered much later got the deliveries already.

White, Black Interior, MYLR, 19" wheels
Phoenix, AZ
OD: 1/16(9pm)
1/17 - EDD: 2/4-3/4
2/3 - EDD 2/13-3/13
2/14 - EDD 2/28-3/28
2/28 - EDD 3/5-3/19
3/5 - EDD 3/26-3/31
3/13 - EDD 3/28-3/31
3/22 - EDD 4/2-5/2 (Maybe because the credit app I submitted expired?)
4/2 - Fremont Vin assigned, option to schedule delivery 4/3-10

Here’s the vin: 7SAYGDEE7PF746275

Obligatory back story
When IRS dropped the 55k tax credit limit on 2/3, I saw a MYP appear in local inventory, and we pulled the trigger on that. The responsible thing would have been to wait on the phone with Tesla and change our MYLR pre-order over to that, but I didn't want to risk MYP being picked up by someone else. So I spent another $250 on a deposit to claim the MYP. We picked it up on 2/6 been enjoying it since. But I figured I'd keep everyone updated with the MYLR we ordered on 1/16

Last edited:
It is Austin build. Yes, come with front mud guards and cargo cover and floor mat. Regarding PPF, how to check that :)?
I have not seen any in person but it looks like you would have a small piece on each rear door on the lower rear corner. I had read that cars that came with the factory mud guards would likely also have the ppf

1/24 Odered MYLR (Ext White/Int Black/19" wheels/5 seat/basic autopilot)
Orange County,CA
1/24 EDD Jan-Mar 2023
1/25 EDD 3/22-3/31
2/4 EDD 3/19-3/31
2/28 EDD 3/18-3/31
3/7 EDD 4/2-5/7
3/12 EDD 3/25-3/31
3/22 EDD 3/31-4/14

3/25 VIN Assigned EDD 4/6-4/12 (PA095xxx)
3/30 EDD 4/1-4/10
4/2 EDD 4/4-4/10
4/2 @ 2:30PM Delivery Date scheduled (3 delivery window, a little tighter than expected, 4/5-4/7)

Reactions: bk2023 and erktrek
White, Black Interior, MYLR, 19" wheels
Phoenix, AZ
OD: 1/16(9pm)
1/17 - EDD: 2/4-3/4
2/3 - EDD 2/13-3/13
2/14 - EDD 2/28-3/28
2/28 - EDD 3/5-3/19
3/5 - EDD 3/26-3/31
3/13 - EDD 3/28-3/31
3/22 - EDD 4/2-5/2 (Maybe because the credit app I submitted expired?)
4/2 - Fremont Vin assigned, option to schedule delivery 4/3-10

Here’s the vin: 7SAYGDEE7PF746275

Obligatory back story
When IRS dropped the 55k tax credit limit on 2/3, I saw a MYP appear in local inventory, and we pulled the trigger on that. The responsible thing would have been to wait on the phone with Tesla and change our MYLR pre-order over to that, but I didn't want to risk MYP being picked up by someone else. So I spent another $250 on a deposit to claim the MYP. We picked it up on 2/6 been enjoying it since. But I figured I'd keep everyone updated with the MYLR we ordered on 1/16
Just canceled my order. May the odds be in your favor.

Tesla not only wanted to sell as many cars as possible , but also needed to show that the price cuts did not hurt the profits. The early orders in Q1 (us in January) were bait to get more orders but we hurt the profit line. Hence we got pushed out to Q2 to make room for the higher priced orders. It really stinks. But I guess it is their right. Eventually they will have to honor our orders. I just hope that they don’t spread us beyond end of May.
I like your take on this.. I'm sure there's more to it like being unable to deliver on time BUT the folks at Tesla are a pretty savvy bunch and this could certainly be a factor.

Add to the fact that since Tesla is constantly optimizing their manufacturing processes and there are upcoming changes that will lower costs even further - by holding off on the more discounted orders they can also lower the profit margin impact a wee bit as well. Note: earlier Jan orders would have been fulfilled early to clear older inventory, early production before the crush of orders etc.

Of course aside from the excruciating wait this might not be such a bad thing for us as the promise of some updates (higher res cameras?) become possible... I still don't think we will see HW 4 in our vehicles but maybe some bits and pieces as new parts come online.

I have not seen any in person but it looks like you would have a small piece on each rear door on the lower rear corner. I had read that cars that came with the factory mud guards would likely also have the ppf

It is completely obvious when you look at it. I've walked through our school parking lot and you can see easily who has it and who doesn't

1/24 Odered MYLR (Ext White/Int Black/19" wheels/5 seat/basic autopilot)
Orange County,CA
1/24 EDD Jan-Mar 2023
1/25 EDD 3/22-3/31
2/4 EDD 3/19-3/31
2/28 EDD 3/18-3/31
3/7 EDD 4/2-5/7
3/12 EDD 3/25-3/31
3/22 EDD 3/31-4/14

3/25 VIN Assigned EDD 4/6-4/12 (PA095xxx)
3/30 EDD 4/1-4/10
4/2 EDD 4/4-4/10
4/2 @ 2:30PM Delivery Date scheduled (3 delivery window, a little tighter than expected, 4/5-4/7)
Congrats, but this is why its soooo frustrating. Ordered a week before you, same build. Oregon. Still waiting.