Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what it shows up in inventory is a tiny fraction of what is produced. Today there are 290 Model Y in waiting for Tesla. Daily production of 3/Y combined is roughly 4500/day. That large surplus production of Q1 is not showing there. Maybe they have VINs assigned to people in the waiting list, maybe they are still figuring out where and when will be shipped to places and transport logistics are the problem as you mentioned. But clearly something is really wrong with the late January orders, while people that ordered much later got the deliveries already.
The guy we talked to when we picked up our car on the 30th said that the delivery centers close to the factories really get slammed at the end of quarter since it is faster and easier to deliver cars to the close delivery centers. He said the places farthest from the factories will see a surge in deliveries now at the start of the new quarter. My delivery location is about a 3 hour drive from Fremont so you could have the same truck make multi runs from Fremont to there in a day as part of a delivery push.

In your case is even more weird, since you are in a Factory state. Yeah, I know cars have to go out of state and come back to Texas, but that should be quicker than coming to East coast. I thought that now after the madness of EoQ, it was going to be East Coast’s turn. But such a long window starting at the end of April, seems to indicate what erktrek said, no plans for our orders yet.
Yeah seems the northeast is still a ways behind. Maybe more orders there and hitting bottlenecks with shipping? State rebates are high in MA, NJ, and maybe others.

I have not seen any in person but it looks like you would have a small piece on each rear door on the lower rear corner. I had read that cars that came with the factory mud guards would likely also have the ppf

Oh, yes, the car has that small piece PPF. When checking the external, I was thinking what that obvious part is but didn't think further.

The guy we talked to when we picked up our car on the 30th said that the delivery centers close to the factories really get slammed at the end of quarter since it is faster and easier to deliver cars to the close delivery centers. He said the places farthest from the factories will see a surge in deliveries now at the start of the new quarter.
I had a Tesla employee tell me the same thing - and my EDD window did shrink and move a couple days closer this morning. Of course, I've seen that before and it didn't mean anything, so I'm not putting much confidence in it.

In other news, the 2021 Ridgeline I intend to sell after the Model Y arrives was pummeled by hail this evening. Ugh. First hail claim in 20 years. I sure am glad money grows on trees. [/sarcasm]

• Informative
Reactions: LetsGoElectric
They sold 430K cars and made 440K. Not sure how they managed that with the massive flood of orders and so many still waiting on their Jan orders. Guess they made a lot of 7 seaters ;-) .. Or I guess there is not as much demand outside of US even after massive price cuts.

Makes me wonder if more price cuts are coming up in the next few months. They make too many cars (1.8M estimated this year) and the demand seems to be falling, especially if they didn't have a big surge even after the massive price cuts around the world.

If Model Y tax rebate continues, might make sense to order later if you don't need a car to get the HW4 or a cheaper price?

Same website saying record Q1. I guess it depends on who wrote the article. Tesla had 405K vehicles in Q4. I was surprised to see Tesla had a mere 4% increase in sales after 10 to 20% price cuts.

Last edited:
They sold 430K cars and made 440K. Not sure how they managed that with the massive flood of orders and so many still waiting on their Jan orders. Guess they made a lot of 7 seaters ;-) .. Or I guess there is not as much demand outside of US even after massive price cuts.

Makes me wonder if more price cuts are coming up in the next few months. They make too many cars (1.8M estimated this year) and the demand seems to be falling, especially if they didn't have a big surge even after the massive price cuts around the world.

If Model Y tax rebate continues, might make sense to order later if you don't need a car to get the HW4 or a cheaper price?
This was an article by Reuters that was incorrect - Wall Street estimates were 420K NOT 430K (Barrons)... this mistake was also in a Tweet by Reuters that was quickly retracted.

Media bias against Tesla is terribly blatant... even with another YF (Bloomberg) article that does get it right but by Tesla not making the "whisper" numbers it's STILL a cause for concern.

This was an article by Reuters that was incorrect - Wall Street estimates were 420K NOT 430K (Barrons)... this mistake was also in a Tweet by Reuters that was quickly retracted.
Thanks! After seeing all the posts in this forum and Reddit, I expected a record breaking quarter. They barely reached the target in Q1. M3 sales are already slow and they will drop drastically after April 17th. MY demand is also slowing down now. Musk mentioned that 2 million deliveries would be achievable by the end of 2023. I don't see how it is possible without a price cut. They may need to cut more prices again to increase the demand.

Last edited:

Media bias against Tesla is terribly blatant... even with another YF (Bloomberg) article that does get it right but by Tesla not making the "whisper" numbers it's STILL a cause for concern.

I don't really see it as pro or anti-Tesla. They are interested ONLY in clickbait headlines. I wish news went back to being boring. If only the media companies weren't competing with each other generating more and more outrageous clickbait headlines, maybe we would trust them more.

In this case though, Analysts estimates really vary based on analyst and also vary overtime, so it is really hard to keep track at times.

A less than 5% increase in sales after a significant price cut and people rushing to buy with Tax rebates, makes me wonder why they didn't sell more cars.

Thanks! After seeing all the posts in this forum and Reddit, I expected a record breaking quarter. They barely reached the target in Q1. M3 sales are already slow and they will drop drastically after April 17th. MY demand is also slowing down now. Musk mentioned that 2 million deliveries would be achievable by the end of 2023. I don't see how it is possible without a price cut. They may need to cut more prices again to increase the demand.
Well.... if Tesla made a record quarter... it certainly wasnt without CHEATING.... look at all these Brand New "Demo's" that has its card "punched" with no miles on them...

If you want a DEAL... these are the ones to grab!!

1680490057202.png

I don't really see it as pro or anti-Tesla. They are interested ONLY in clickbait headlines. I wish news went back to being boring. If only the media companies weren't competing with each other generating more and more outrageous clickbait headlines, maybe we would trust them more.

In this case though, Analysts estimates really vary based on analyst and also vary overtime, so it is really hard to keep track at times.

A less than 5% increase in sales after a significant price cut and people rushing to buy with Tax rebates, makes me wonder why they didn't sell more cars.
Maybe but keep in mind that Q1 is historically very slow in terms of auto sales so Tesla had a record quarter and beat WS estimates. The Reuters article was just plain wrong but got published anyway - damage done. The Bloomberg article was just slimy.. and spun in a way to make Tesla look like they are in trouble.

I agree that being negative against Tesla is very good click-bait indeed BUT then article after article parrot the same or similar talking points about why Tesla is going to fail, how competition is coming and traditional car companies are poised to eat Teslas lunch, FSD is the worst relative to Ford and GMs offerings, Tesla recalls that are actually OTAs nonsense, all while ignoring the actual numbers, owners experiences etc - makes you wonder whats going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: geekfam and imgcs
Well.... if Tesla made a record quarter... it certainly wasnt without CHEATING.... look at all these Brand New "Demo's" that has its card "punched" with no miles on them...

If you want a DEAL... these are the ones to grab!!

View attachment 924347
This isn't anything new 🤷‍♀️

Tesla starts doing discounts and SAs even try giving options credit towards the very end of a quarter to land a sale of a vehicle within that quarter. You could potentially get upgraded wheels/color for free, free supercharging miles, etc to persuade someone to accept delivery few days before March 31st (Q1) instead of waiting until later (Q2). They probably did the same thing Q4 of 2022 when they were rushing to get everyone their Tesla orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: idev2020
Maybe but keep in mind that Q1 is historically very slow in terms of auto sales so Tesla had a record quarter and beat WS estimates. The Reuters article was just plain wrong but got published anyway - damage done. The Bloomberg article was just slimy.. and spun in a way to make Tesla look like they are in trouble.

I agree that being negative against Tesla is very good click-bait indeed BUT then article after article parrot the same or similar talking points about why Tesla is going to fail, how competition is coming and traditional car companies are poised to eat Teslas lunch, FSD is the worst relative to Ford and GMs offerings, Tesla recalls that are actually OTAs nonsense, all while ignoring the actual numbers, owners experiences etc - makes you wonder whats going on behind the scenes.
I don't feel media is negatively biased against Tesla. The FSD has been a shitshow by most measures and I think we need to rightly call it what it really is instead of the Musk's propaganda. He promised FSD since 2018 and has missed multiple deadlines. The safety record is grossly exaggerated. He counts only safest highway miles, with limited subset of highest rated drivers and claims his FSD is safer than humans. I tried the latest FSD multiple times over the years and it still can't handle basic edge cases, let alone complex ones. I think it is SEVERAL years software and hardware changes away from being entirely safe.

He fooled 300K+ drivers into paying 15K for becoming beta testers only IF they specially qualify! Even those who paid 5K in 2018 would have been better off investing that money in stocks.

Musk constantly baits/bullies others online and on twitter and the media/individuals unnecessarily reacts. In the end Musk gets the attention he desires; Media gets the clicks and regular Joe's are baited. I like the car quite a bit. I also think Musk is a jackass of greatest magnitude. Especially since last year, he has gotten crazier.

I hope SOMEONE succeeds in FSD. I hate driving and being around moronic drivers. The streets will be safer if we can get Autonomous driving solved reliably. Nobody is close at this point unfortunately.

Last edited:
1/24 Odered MYLR (Ext White/Int Black/19" wheels/5 seat/basic autopilot)
Orange County,CA
1/24 EDD Jan-Mar 2023
1/25 EDD 3/22-3/31
2/4 EDD 3/19-3/31
2/28 EDD 3/18-3/31
3/7 EDD 4/2-5/7
3/12 EDD 3/25-3/31
3/22 EDD 3/31-4/14

3/25 VIN Assigned EDD 4/6-4/12 (PA095xxx)
3/30 EDD 4/1-4/10
4/2 EDD 4/4-4/10
4/2 @ 2:30PM Delivery Date scheduled (3 delivery window, a little tighter than expected, 4/5-4/7)
You are 5 days ahead of me. Hopefully Im gonna my VIN too. I have EDD of 4/2 to 4/12 im from Socal riverside.

Reactions: 949r6

Same website saying record Q1. I guess it depends on who wrote the article. Tesla had 405K vehicles in Q4. I was surprised to see Tesla had a mere 4% increase in sales after 10 to 20% price cuts.

Reuters has deleted a tweet regarding $TSLA deliveries after being corrected by CommunityNotes. They initially wrote that "Tesla missed delivery estimates" and have now said that "Tesla posts record quarterly deliveries".
Reuters changed the title after Twitter Fact checkers corrected it :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: geekfam and erktrek
If your state tax is based on pickup address, you may do the same to save.
Lol... You should've kept going one more station on the Amtrak Coast Starlight... Across the Columbia River, and our vehicle sales tax is $280 and our 2 yrs tag is $80 here in Oregon.

People live in Vancouver WA so that they Don't have to pay state income tax. And they purchase everything on the other side of Columbia River so they don't have to pay sales tax.

You should have bought your Tesla and your iPhone here instead 😂 lol

Always listen to beewang. Because you just can't go "wong" with Wang. :p
Cheers!!

beewang

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: erktrek